Character riding Chariot in CC

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Duguay-trouin
Shade

Character riding Chariot in CC

Post by Duguay-trouin »

In regards to chariots in CC, the rules state that Enemies rolling to hit against the chariot compare their weapon skill against the weapon skill of the crew or that of the creatures pulling it, whichever is highest.

In regards to characters riding chariots in CC, the rules state that enemies can chose whether to attack either the chariot or the character riding it.

My question is, if the enemies chose to attack the chariot. Do they have to roll against the character's weapon skill because he has the highest WS, and because he replaces one of the crew? Or do they roll against the standard crew member's weapon skill because they chose not to fight against the character?

Thanks
Manticoreslair
Shade

Post by Manticoreslair »

they choose who to attack, the character or the chariot.
then, as the character cant actually operate the chariot so isnt actually crew, they roll against the crews WS and then wound on the chariots toughness
its all or nothin

strike hard, strike fast

then run like hell!!
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I would say they can still use his weapon skill, the character becomes part of the crew with the highest weapon skill after all - the wounds are still done to the chariot
Manticoreslair
Shade

Post by Manticoreslair »

well if you say that, then how can you attack the character (his weapon skill) and then allocate wounds to the chariot
its all or nothin

strike hard, strike fast

then run like hell!!
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

good point... i just interpreted the rules as 'the character replaces one of the crew members' as he becomes part of the crew. In which case the rule stated in the question would mean you use his weapon skill. Yours is more logical reply though i must admit now.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

You guys realize that a character riding a chariot removes only 1 of the 2 crew members.

Attacking the chariot means going against the crew's (normal crew & creatures) WS.

There is no rule saying you use the character's WS to strike his mount, ever.
Duguay-trouin
Shade

Post by Duguay-trouin »

Ok I understand your guys reasoning, and I'm sure you are right in the legal interpretation of the rules. The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that if they chose to attack the chariot and only have to roll against the crew member's WS, then we have to assume that the character does not defend the chariot. Instead we are to assume he just sits in the back of the chariot doing nothing?
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Hes not sitting there doing nothing, hes busy attacking you - remember although we do things in turns its actually all happening at once.
Duguay-trouin
Shade

Post by Duguay-trouin »

OK, fair enough
Thanks
Lordofthenight
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lordofthenight »

You guys realize that a character riding a chariot removes only 1 of the 2 crew members.

Attacking the chariot means going against the crew's (normal crew & creatures) WS.

There is no rule saying you use the character's WS to strike his mount, ever.

That depends entirely on the chariot. Some characters riding chariots don't get any other crewmembers.
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
WS: 4 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Repeater Crossbow, Short Sword, Shade Cloak, Light Armour
5 throwing daggers, 90gc
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Then there are the steeds left! (:
But anyway, anything that can be targetted separately has its own WS to fight against, a character doesn't come to its rescue with his own WS unless it does have a special rule for it.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

I think lordofthenight is making an oblique reference to Daemons of Chaos chariots. They are a herald only option and the herald are the only crew.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Archlector as well is the only crew of his War Altar.
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

is there a way to ask GW to clarify this, i.e. submit things for FAQ, cause this is the sort of thing that needs to be sorted!

Anyway, i would assume that you use the character WS for everything. when a character has a beast he knows how to control it. if he rides a chariot he wouldn't be much a druchii if he couldn't control it by hiself, and therefore he is part of the crew. since his WS is highest, thats what is used, IMO.
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Unless it explicitly states that the character becomes part of the crew, you use the WS of the crew. PieChee, your reasoning is logical but as far as I know it's also at odds with the rules.
Krystalice2020
Dark Rider

Post by Krystalice2020 »

you have to look at it from the point of view of the attacker....

You can attack the lord on the chariot, against his WS, his T, and his Saves (which DO benefit from being on a chariot). and if you kill him HE dies and the chariot operates normally.. Or you can attack the chariot, using the Crews WS (since they represent the skill of the chariot, being the driver and experienced user of it), the chariot toughness, and the chariots wounds... and if you kill it the CHARIOT dies and the lord is on foot from then on... (representing that you dismantled or broke the chariot, killed all the crew (since the lord is just riding on it) and slew the cold ones...

They ar two completely separate entites... such as how shots randomize when shotting at a warmachine and its crew or a hydra and its handlers (in the old version) or a salamander and its skinks...

The only difference here is that one is ON the other instead of NEXT to it... The chariot is just a mount treated like every other kind. You can attack the dragon or you can attack the Lord... The lords WS is not used in defending the dragon...

Just think about it that way...
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Indeed, except for one minor point:

You can attack the lord on the chariot, against his WS, his T, and his Saves (which DO benefit from being on a chariot).

In the 7th edition, this save is only available against ranged attacks. In combat a character does not benefit from a chariot in terms of armour save.
Zeth

Post by Zeth »

SilverHeimdall wrote:There is no rule saying you use the character's WS to strike his mount, ever.
There does not need to be. Every where I see the chariot option for a mount on a character it uses the phrase 'replacing one of the crew'

Replace (dictionary.com):
"to assume the former role, position, or function of; substitute for (a person or thing)"

Using the word replace implies that the character is now part of the crew.

If the WS of the character is not used, then what is done for TK chariots.

Chariots in combat pg 64.
"Enemies rolling to hit against the chariot compare their own Weapon SKill against the Weapon Skill of the crew or that of the creatures pulling it, whichever is highest."

So you believe that TK on a chariot uses the WS 2 of the steeds, and that the war altar has no weapon skill?
Take all of my posts, when taking about balance, from a perspective of an all-comers list.
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

Looking at this one from a theory hammer perspective....

Excpet for some seriously elite troops with WS5 or characters with WS5 or greater everyone will only need a 4+ to hit a chariot anyways. Even a pathetic Gnoblar or Skaven slave with WS 2 can hit a WS6 on a 4+... so the defensive bonus of Argueing the Characters WS is really only usefull against things with WS5 or greater who would hit on a 3+

I would rather argue that the Character be attacked at the Chariots toughness ;) But sadly his wounds are resolved separately from the chariot just liek they are separate form monsterous mounts.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

The crew now have WS5 (as COK), so WS2 or lower only hit on a 5+. :)

Bye
Thanee
Getwisteerd
Highborn
Location: The duke's forest (yes that's the name of the town I live in)

Post by Getwisteerd »

Replace (dictionary.com):
"to assume the former role, position, or function of; substitute for (a person or thing)"

he assumes the former position of one of the crewmembers - standing on the chariot.

Chariots in combat pg 64.
"Enemies rolling to hit against the chariot compare their own Weapon SKill against the Weapon Skill of the crew or that of the creatures pulling it, whichever is highest."

So you believe that TK on a chariot uses the WS 2 of the steeds, and that the war altar has no weapon skill?

1. yes, when targetting the chariot.
2. Don't have the empire book but I'd assume so, it's not going to do much to parry right?
Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

CC attacks against the STank hit automatically, don't they? Consistent with WS 0 (except the bit somewhere about a model dying if any of its stats are 0, but it's not really 0 here, just '-').
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Actually that only goes for S, T and/or W. Any characterestic at 0 (or -, which is the same) besides Strength, Toughness or Wounds doesn't mean instant death.

Because I'd hate to see my chariot model dead in turn 1 because it has BS 0.
Melinia
Executioner

Post by Melinia »

So here's a question relating to characters in chariots in close combat...

During a close combat phase, I wiped out an opposing player's unit with a chariot. I overran as a result and hit another unit in the flank. Fast forward to the next player's turn and he charges my chariot's flank with a unit of cavalry.

In my chariot, I have a character. If I issue a challenge to the cavalry unit (which includes a champion who cannot move out of base to base contact with my chariot since he has no second rank and his frontage isn't big enough), can any of his models that are not participating in the challenge attack my chariot? Or can only his champion attack me that close combat round?

Page 77 indicates that crewmen that are not participating in the challenge cannot fight while the challenge is going on. So I'm inclined to believe that the rest of the models can't get involved. But I'm not entirely certain of that.
Decker_cky
Black Guard

Post by Decker_cky »

Zeth wrote:So you believe that TK on a chariot uses the WS 2 of the steeds, and that the war altar has no weapon skill?

Isn't the war altar pulled by 2 steeds? In both those cases, the chariot uses the WS of the steeds.

BTW, I just realised that goblin chariots get to use the WS3 of the wolfs, which I never thought of before. Neato!