Do friendly units from the same combat stop pursuit moves?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Do friendly units from the same combat stop pursuit moves?

Post by Thanee »

Let's say one regiment is charged into the front by a Hydra and in the flank by a big unit of Cold One Knights. The COK extend beyond the front of the enemy unit.

They break the unit and pursuit. COK have higher US, so go first. Do they have to stop at the Hydra, or can they rush past it?

Bye
Thanee
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Depends. If the hydra pursues as well, theey both go in the same directionat the same time and all is well. But if the hydra goes in another direction or doesn't pursue at all (probably not the case with Druchii now thanks to hatred), then the COK will hit the hydra and stop.
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Ant wrote:Depends. If the hydra pursues as well, theey both go in the same directionat the same time and all is well.

That is the question... the rulebook says that sometimes pursuing units can get in each others way (so the highest US moves first). It also says, that pursuing units stop when they hit friendly units.

Does that apply to other pursuing units as well (that pursuit in the same direction)?

I would also think they just pursuit together, basically, but can't really find anything, that says so. :lol:

Bye
Thanee
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Don't you ignore other units in the close combat that haven't made their pursuit move yet?

Let's say your flanking knights have higher US, they go forward 5 inches, ignoring the other flank's unit that has lower US and they are thus brought on the other side of that smaller unit - and the smaller unit pivots and is blocked.

Something like that...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

you ignore the units in same combat before until they make their pursuit move.

So lets say you move CoKs first, they ignore the Hydra no matter how much it'd block them
Then you move hydra but it can't run past the knights even if it rolled higher.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Dalamar wrote:you ignore the units in same combat before until they make their pursuit move.

Where does it state that? Any clue?
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Im not sure where the rules say it, but that is my interpretation too and is how i have always played it. Similar incident which has actually happened to me:

Treeman in front of chaos warriors, 8 glade riders in their flank. They break the warriors who flee sideways and the glade riders persue first. They move through the treeman, pursuit distance or whatever, then the treeman can persue but can not go through the riders, staying 1" away behind them.

Same thing really, hope that helps.
Furiouscado
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Furiouscado »

I have a very similar situation but it involves overrun instead of pursuit. It may help the discussion. I have 2 stegadons that charge a unit; one in the flank one in the front. I murder the unit, but I want to make overruns to get my stegadons out of charge range of other units. They have the same US obviously, but when I roll the first overrun, I roll snake eyes. If I don't do the moves simultaneously it puts the one stegadon directly in front of the one that hasn't moved yet. Does the second stegadon even get an overrun? Or is it they both move 2D6" at the same time, ultimately running through each other?
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

i usually play it so that first the units that are closest to the direction in which the broken unit flees (away from highest US) go earlier than the rest of the units. and as soon as a unit hits another friendly unit, it stops moving.