Potion of strenght

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Master of arneim
Malekith's Personal Guard

Potion of strenght

Post by Master of arneim »

It's not clear if that potion works in the turn it's been activated AND in the next turn or only in that turn and stop.

The doubt it's about the potion of shadowblade that functions for 2 hth turns while in the "normal" magic potion works only for 1 turn. Probably it's only a translation problem.

P.s: for turn I mean my turn (counted as 1 turn) and the opponent's turn (still counted as 1 turn). So 1 turn is mine or the opponent's one, not both.

pps: I just checked I'm in the wrong section. Please move this thread in the rules forum. Thanks
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The description is clear in the army book, and Shadowblade carries exact same item (yes, it means that if you take Shadowblade then no other character can have Potion of Strength)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Master of arneim

Problems arise in the Italian book because the 2 potions (that you say are the same) works differently, because shadowblade gets the bonus for 2 hth combat, while the potion in the common magic items section gives the bonus only for that hth combat phase where it has been activated.

I said it was a tanslation problem because probably the english phrase "until the next player's turn" has been translated in 2 different manners:
- shadowblade: until the starting of the next turn of the player that owned the turn when the potion was activated.
- common magic item: until the starting of the turn of the next player.

Mistakes come from the different translaction of "next", referred the first time at "turn" and the second time at "player".

I hope I've been clear. Thanks.
Last edited by Master of arneim on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Joyfulcheese
Dark Rider

Post by Joyfulcheese »

It lasts until the start of your next combat phase. Means you get the bonus during the initial turn Shadowblade shows up and uses it, and in your oponents turn. Makes all the difference between him showing up and getting smacked down, and killing enough of the unit to cause problems for them.
"Beware the fury of a patient man"

Utharn N'Gal - Disciple of Khaine

Stats: WS - 4 S - 3 I - 5 T - 2 D - 4

Equipment - Short Sword, dagger, small quantity of poison (2 uses), travelling cloak
Master of arneim

So the potions (both the shadowblade's and the common magic one) work for "2" turns of hth combat, right?
Joyfulcheese
Dark Rider

Post by Joyfulcheese »

@ Master of Arneim

Yep :)

Equipment - Short Sword, dagger, small quantity of poison (2 uses), travelling cloak
Moonblade
Cold One Knight

Post by Moonblade »

sweet :}

Just perfect for a CC character that needs to stay engaged in combat and can't just break the enemy with the initial charge.
Game Designer. At last. Period.
Joyfulcheese
Dark Rider

Post by Joyfulcheese »

Yeah, unless it's a small unit (2 ranks or less) Shadowblades gonna loose combat because of ranks, outnumber, banner so the LD10 comes in handy for that.

Moonblade
Cold One Knight

Post by Moonblade »

Same for dragon/manticore lord who is stuck behind enemy lines. Maybe this should only be used in conjunction with the BSB for a re-roll of that LD test however.
Game Designer. At last. Period.
Patrizzo

Post by Patrizzo »

How can this be unclear? Now, I know English isn't my first language, but how can "lasts until the start of the
next player’s turn" mean that it lasts for 2 turns?
Pulchritudo in oculis spectatore est ...
Master of arneim

How can this be unclear? Now, I know English isn't my first language, but how can "lasts until the start of the
next player’s turn" mean that it lasts for 2 turns?

It's unclear since you have the book in your mother language that states 2 different assumptions.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

"Next player's Turn"
Is it referring to the next turn of the player or the other player's turn?

O:
Patrizzo

Post by Patrizzo »

I see, so you have the book in another language than English then? I would in that case, sadly, say that I'm not surprised about the confusion, but it do only last for one CC phase.
Joyfulcheese
Dark Rider

Post by Joyfulcheese »

@ SilverHeimdall

While it could be debated, when the codex's refer to 'player' they mean the player controlling the related army, if they mean your opponents they will say 'opposing player'.

Master of arneim

I see, so you have the book in another language than English then? I would in that case, sadly, say that I'm not surprised about the confusion, but it do only last for one CC phase.

I think you're right... precisely I didn't even know that the phrase was "next player's turn" when I wrote it in the beginning posts. I guessed it was so, but I hoped it was something like "next turn of the player".
Patrizzo

Post by Patrizzo »

@Silverhemdaill: I would say that the small "'s" shows that it does indeed mean the player whose turn it isn't now. Otherwise, wouldn't it have been "next player turn"?
Joyfulcheese
Dark Rider

Post by Joyfulcheese »

It should be stated that it lasts both the controlling and opposing players combat rounds just so that all parties are clear.

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Master of Arneim wrote:So the potions (both the shadowblade's and the common magic one) work for "2" turns of hth combat, right?

In the French book it is crystal clear: Potion of Strenght works from the beginning of any HtH phase until one player's turn begins. Same for Shadowblade (with almost same wording).
So it works only during 1 single HtH combat.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Joyfulcheese
Dark Rider

Post by Joyfulcheese »

@ Calisson

Hmm fair point, guess it should be worded in terms of rounds of combat instead of turns. Wonder if that will be brought up in the erata at any stage.

Vandal delle 3v
Warrior

Post by Vandal delle 3v »

...still i can't see any point why an item effect should end at the start of the "second half" of the turn cycle. usually there's written that it ends at the end of the player's turn if that's the case.
PoS looks pretty much the same as before to me, so i can't understand why now it lasts only when used when before lasted the entire turn cycle (player-opponent)