Ring of Hotek vs Wind of Undeath

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Visp
Corsair

Ring of Hotek vs Wind of Undeath

Post by Visp »

Apologies if this came up somewhere else, did a search but couldnt find anything.

Ok had a frustrating rule argument/query with a VC player last night... not entirely sure how he figured he was correct... im pretty sure I was spot on... but I always second guess myself if someone is so sure of themselves.

Here goes...

Ring of Hotek vs Wind of Undeath Spell

Wind of undeath if cast effects every enemy unit... roll D6 and on a 4+ that unit takes a wound spirit host pops up. Sooooo he casts it on a 4, 4, 5. Miscast as far as im concerned as the spell effects the unit with the ring of Hotek.. as well as several within 12" of the ring.

He was adament at 1st that as he wasnt specifically targeting the unit it wasnt a miscast... uh?

after several minutes he then changes tact and says he'll roll the dice until he chooses the unit with the ring.. then take the miscast... erm no says I. Surely the miscast comes straight into play. Plus he'll then know where the ring is.

Anyways am I going nuts? He just struck me as one of those difficult players who thinks that if he argues long enough you'll give in.

In the end I just told him to roll a dice... 4+ and he miscast otherwise he can have it until it reached the ring. Rolled a 6 and the vamp popped his clogs on a double 1! Karma!

Just wanted to check im not going loopy... pretty much everyone else at the club agreed with me.
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

I'd be inclined to say you were right although this question will spark a debate (which I think has been mentioned somewhere). You did the right thing anyway by rolling a dice to see what happens.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I think there is a mentioning in the magic section that a spell targets a unit that is affected by it, or something close to that.

Which would essentially mean, that you were right.

Gonna have to reread it, though, to be sure. Could be that it only applies to templates.

Bye
Thanee
Rugi
Noble
Location: probably still burried under snow after a failed backflip attempt

Post by Rugi »

I would be on your side Visp! Of course it`s a miscast. The wizard was trying to target every enemy unit on the table therefor probably also the one with the ring.

If daemon players get MR3 against wind of undeath because of flesh hounds on the table I don`˙t see any reason why this should not be a miscast.
IMO you didn`t do the right thing with rolling the dice ;)
Visp
Corsair

Post by Visp »

oh good... I though i was going wacky.

Maybe I was too nice giving him a roll.... dear god spirit of the game, fair play... run for the hills!!! :lol: But when someone is so convinced they're correct I do sometimes second guess myself as im not exactly word for word on the rules.

of course he could just have been an arse.....
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

The spell targets the entire battlefield of enemy units, the ring is of course somewhere within 12" of that unless the model is already dead (:
Slortor
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Slortor »

take shadowblade on him next time - that should stop him smiling.

and as everyone else said - stop second guessing, you got that entirely right. (and just sometimes....you are too nice :D )
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game