assault on doom gate, a DEvsHE scenario

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

assault on doom gate, a DEvsHE scenario

Post by Kinslayer »

Ive decided to create a mini scenario to play, something i used to do often and had quite a bit of success with. This ones called Assault on Doom Gate, and is based around a high elf army stumbling upon the entrance to the underworld sea which enters Clar Karond at the Doom Gate. Reference to the Doom Gate is 7th edition army book, page 39, very last paragraph.

Scenario - Assault on Doom Gate
Doom Gate is one of the entrances to the underworld sea through which the druchii can go out to see unnoticed by the high elf navy. The gate is guarded by seven wild hydras and his hidden amongst the trees of the black forest. It is this entrance tunnel that Asiran of the Asur stumbled across as a way into the Druchii realm unnoticed, however with seven five-headed fire breathing monstours on the other end, he may have got more than he bargained for. A small band of Druchii led by the sorceress Lilaea was passing at the time, and were quick to move against their hated foe.

The Armies
High Elves
the high elves count as the attackers and have the first turn. They have an army of up to 2000 points limit, which must contain at least one block of spearmen, archers and a commander or prince representing Asiran. They may only pick one other character, who may be a wizard.

Dark Elves
the dark elves who came to intercept the invading Asur, hopefully avoiding the hydras whilst doing so, are led by Lilaea. She is a lvl 2 sorceress who can have wargear and mounts as usual. She is accompanied by up to 500 points of dark elves, and no other characters may be selected.

Seven Hydra Guardians
there are seven hydras in the game, these have no beastmasters and therefore do not have monsters and handlers as a special rule. They act independantly as described here.
Each turn roll a D6 for each hydra:
1-2 = the hydra must move towards the closest dark elf/high elf unit, charging if possible, if combat engaged the oposite player takes control of dice rolls etc, and can also make use of shooting the breath weapon.
3-4 = the high elf player takes control of the hydra this turn.
5-6 = the dark elf player takes control of the hydra this turn

Deployment
Here is a map of deployment:

Board is 6'x4'.
Red dots mark the hydras deployment positions.
Green marks forest/wood areas.
Black marks the Doom Gate.
the dark elves must deploy within 12" of the top table edge, on the right hand side.
the high elves must deploy within 12" of the Gate.

Winning the Game
the dark elves win a massacre if the high elves are completely annihalated by either their own hands or the hydras hands, and they have at least one model surviving including Lilaea, however if she is dead this is only a minor victory. the high elves win a massacre if they kill all the dark elves and hydras on the board with at least one model surviving. If either all the hydras are dead or all the dark elves are dead, but not both, this is a minor victory. Any other result is a tie.
Alandriakh
Trainee Warrior

Post by Alandriakh »

I think the HE are a bit advantaged cause they can easily just put down a lot of shooting including 4 bolt throwers and then its bye bye DE and with a wizard with curse of arrow attraction. The can also kill the hydra's quickly like that. Also I'd put in the rule that u can't put a hydra in combat against a hydra cause otherwise as HE u just do that and u have made sure two hydra's are busy for a moment. So less points on the HE i'd say.
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

I believe it belongs to Ideas Forum. Moved.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

Ouch...

I think Alandriakh is right here. The HE have a large advantage in that they can control one of the things they need to kill, and pit their two enemies against each other, and that one of these enemies is a rather small force.
Alshar Calaelen
WS: 3
S: 5
T: 4
D: 3
I: 3

Equipment:
Repeater Crossbow, Dagger, shield and light armour.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

ok here is a rewrite of the rules and some of the wording, what do you think now?

Scenario - Assault on Doom Gate
Doom Gate is one of the entrances to the underworld sea through which the druchii can go out to see unnoticed by the high elf navy. The gate is guarded by seven wild hydras and his hidden amongst the trees of the black forest. It is this entrance tunnel that Asiran of the Asur stumbled across as a way into the Druchii realm unnoticed, however with seven five-headed fire breathing monstours on the other end, he may have got more than he bargained for. A small band of Druchii led by the sorceress Lilaea was passing at the time, and were quick to move against their hated foe.

The Armies
High Elves
the high elves count as the attackers and have the first turn. They have an army of up to 2000 points limit, which must contain at least one block of spearmen, archers and a commander or prince representing Asiran. They may only pick one other character, who may be a wizard.

Dark Elves
the dark elves who came to intercept the invading Asur, hopefully avoiding the hydras whilst doing so, are led by Lilaea. She is a lvl 2 sorceress who can have wargear and mounts as usual. She is accompanied by up to 500 points of dark elves, and no other characters may be selected.

Army Limits
the dark elves may not pick a hydra.
no warmachines are allowed on either side.
no chariots are allowed on either side.

Seven Hydra Guardians
there are seven hydras in the game, these have no beastmasters and therefore do not have monsters and handlers as a special rule. They act independantly as described here.
Each turn roll a D6 for each hydra:
1-2 = the hydra must move towards the closest dark elf/high elf unit, charging if possible. the player who does not own the cloest unit to the hydra controls any dice it may throw in combat and can use its breath weapon in the shooting phase.
3-4 = the high elf player takes control of the hydra this turn.
5-6 = the dark elf player takes control of the hydra this turn

NB - the hydras may never be made to attack one another, as they are the guardians of the gate they are seeking to destroy anyone in the area.

Deployment
Here is a map of deployment:

Board is 6'x4'.
Red dots mark the hydras deployment positions.
Green marks forest/wood areas.
Black marks the Doom Gate.
the dark elves must deploy within 12" of the top table edge, on the right hand side.
the high elves must deploy within 12" of the Gate.

Winning the Game
the dark elves win a massacre if the high elves are completely annihalated by either their own hands or the hydras hands, and they have at least one model surviving including Lilaea, however if she is dead this is only a minor victory. the high elves win a massacre if they kill all the dark elves and hydras on the board with at least one model surviving. If either all the hydras are dead or all the dark elves are dead, but not both, this is a minor victory. Any other result is a tie.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I think victory should depend more on having control of the gate its self. At the moment its just their as a reason for the battle and the hydras being there, I would inculde it as a victory condition, eg if all dark elf forces are destroyed and the Asur have control of the gate it is a major victory even if some Hydras are left alive.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

Or, there could be some kind of boost for the team or unit closest to the Gate.
Alshar Calaelen

Equipment:
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

okay i will work on the special rules and perhaps come up with something to do with the gates. Perhaps the high elves could arrive each turn from the gate in sections of a certain points value.

What do you think of the idea in general though, good scenario?
Lord temnir
Executioner

Post by Lord temnir »

I like the idea of hydrae running mad arround the place, but shouldn't they rather attack the HE since they are new to those beasts? And IMO it is silly to have a quarter of the troops your opponent cna field in exchange for some beasts that can turn upon you...

I would make it like that: 1-3 Moves like it wants; 4-5 DE controll it; 6 HE controll it

It makes it harder for the HE to turn them all upon you and for yourself to take them over because they are still wild living creatures ;)

But in general I like the idea. Great work!
Victory is messured by the blood spilled.
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

It would make more sense balancing wise if the DE got extra men through the Gate, but I've no idea how you'd justify that. Maybe the Sorceress has cast dark incantations on the area to create a portal through which more loyal troops from Naggarond are spewed forth.
Alshar Calaelen

Equipment:
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

LoDark - if anything, dark elves would get reinforcement through the forests. The gate leads out to see through a secret passage which the high elves stumbled across. Perhaps the druchii could also have 300-500 points in reserves who turn up form turn 2 onwards, with the same limitations.
Obsidianichor
Cold One Knight

Post by Obsidianichor »

Lord Temnir wrote:I like the idea of hydrae running mad arround the place, but shouldn't they rather attack the HE since they are new to those beasts? And IMO it is silly to have a quarter of the troops your opponent cna field in exchange for some beasts that can turn upon you...

I would make it like that: 1-3 Moves like it wants; 4-5 DE controll it; 6 HE controll it

It makes it harder for the HE to turn them all upon you and for yourself to take them over because they are still wild living creatures ;)

But in general I like the idea. Great work!

I agree in principle here, but the difficulty with letting the high elf player have control of them at all is that all he has to do is turn them around to face away from his forces so the hydras will not be able to charge.

With the scenario as described, (1/3 chance for hydras to be controlled by Druchii, Asur, or no one) it will be too easy for the Asur player to merely screw up the movement of the Hydras so that he can (for the most part) Attack a force about 1/3 his size without much hindrance.

I would suggest as a fix to the problem of the High Elf player turning the Hydras so that the charge arc cannot hurt him, I would suggest that the Hydras have increased line of sight. They should act as a skirmishers unit of 1 model each for line of sight and movement purposes only. No -1 to hit on shooting!
-ObsidianIchor

Armies:
Druchii: 4000+
DIY Marines: 4000+
Tyranids: 6000+
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Thanks for pointing that out, i agree the hydras should gain 360 degree line of sight so i will add that into the next time i write the scenario up.