Oversight on Potion of Strength?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Oversight on Potion of Strength?

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

So this is a question similar to the Ring of Darkness question also going on. Basically, Potion of Strength also says model, so does that mean if I have a character with it on a monster that the monster gets the +3 STR also? Or better yet, a character on a chariot for Str 8 impact hits :shock:

Can anyone confirm or deny how this works?
Archdukechocula
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Archdukechocula »

Interesting thought, although the wording isn't quite the same. It suggests the model drinks the potion, but as far as the ability, it simply says it "grants +3 strength". It doesn't say it grants +3 strength to the model, although I can see the argument for it in there. It is a bit silly though, so I would probably not play it that way.
"I'd never join any club that would have the likes of me as a member."
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

think about it logically, you have a potion that makes you super strong and you drink it, so why would your mount or chariot get stronger too? The wording, like Archdukechocula pointed out, doesnt say anything about model for the actual effect.

I would play it the sensible way, rider only for +3 S
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

think about it logically, you have a potion that makes you super strong and you drink it, so why would your mount or chariot get stronger too?

Watch out here. Someone in favour of the idea would say imagining the rider sharing his drink with the mount is logical thinking. And just as poison is modified to fit undead, one might say the Potion is adapted to work on chariots.
Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

Yeah just imagine your dreadlord passing your dragon a sip of potion that turn and Bam! Str 9 dragon lol

Anyway I would never actually use this because I think it really is against the spirit of the rules but I can see logically how someone could argue that it works that way.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Lethalis wrote:
think about it logically, you have a potion that makes you super strong and you drink it, so why would your mount or chariot get stronger too?

Watch out here. Someone in favour of the idea would say imagining the rider sharing his drink with the mount is logical thinking. And just as poison is modified to fit undead, one might say the Potion is adapted to work on chariots.

I can't picture anyone saying that was logical... I can imagine them advancing that interpretation as some kind of RAW but never logical.
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

I can't picture anyone saying that was logical... I can imagine them advancing that interpretation as some kind of RAW but never logical.

I second that. Just because we can imagine somebody raising that point of view doesn't mean it's not pretty illogical and ridiculous.
- Human
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

if you had shared the drink you would share the effects of its strength.

as i said, only the rider gets the strength bonus.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

I like the idea of a S6 Dark Steed just for the fun of it. But if the character could somehow share it on his mount why not just share it with the whole unit? S9 Cold One Knights anyone?
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

it simply says it "grants +3 strength". It doesn't say it grants +3 strength to the model

Here's your answer. It doesn't say "to the model", so the bonus will not extend to the mount. A halberd "grants +1S" and there is no suggestion of that bonus extrending to the mount.
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)