pegasi, making way

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Pablo
Shade

pegasi, making way

Post by Pablo »

Hi,
I've been makingetc list and I have some questions on how ourpegasi masters work.

Can a pegasi make way for another character? My intitial reaction is no because they aren't rank and file, but could combat reform.

How many supporting attacks do pegasi riders get?

If they join a unit of fast cav, does the unit lose fast cav? And I also assume they have to make moves at m8?

If I make way with my dreadlord and move my champion to the second rank, he can still issue/accept challengesas normal?

I think I know most of the ansswers but wanted some quick clarifications. Thanks!
Creating a Cult of Mathlann Army!
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: pegasi, making way

Post by Thraundil »

Can a pegasus master make way? Only if he is in a unit with which his "footprint" allows him to be anywhere within said unit. Example: he is on a 40x40 mm base and attached to a unit of dark riders. He is placed at the side as per rules. Some random single guy charge the dark riders in the front, electing NOT to come into base contact with the pegasus hero. The hero can NOT make way, since his footprint does not match that of the dark rider cavalry bases.
Same scenario in an infantry unit: a make way move is possible. However, remember you may never remove another character from combat by performing a make way (you write your question abit oddly, thats why I want to point this out - you can only displace rank and file troops during a make way).

Second question. A 40x40 mm pegasus rider inside an infantry unit, or a 50x50 mm in a cavalry unit (these are the only ways in which he could ever, somehow, be in the 2nd rank) gets a single supporting attack, and the mount gets no supporting attacks. Only actual monstrous cavalry and infantry units get monstrous support.

If attached to a fast cavalry unit, yes that unit loses the fast cavalry rule. No free reforms during movement, no feigned flight, and yes movement 8. However the most common way to move a pegasus in conjunction with a dark rider unit is to move a DR unit, then leapfrog the pegasus hero into the unit. This way you get to move the pegasus using its fly rules, but still end the movement phase inside a unit, safe and sound.

And yes, if you do make way with a dreadlord thereby displacing the unit champion, the champion can still issue and accept challenges. Do remember, though, that a character making way displaces standard rank and file first and foremost. So unless your unit is 3 wide, or there are other characters in the front rank too, the champion will usually stay in the front rank. But nothing prevents a champion from issuing and accepting challenges, ever.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Pablo
Shade

Re: pegasi, making way

Post by Pablo »

Sweet thanks. This is exactly what I thought. I should have used the example of a steed dreadlord and 3 pegasi masters in a unit of 10 brolocks with a champ but this is like how I read it too.
Cheers
Creating a Cult of Mathlann Army!