Dispelling quirks

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Silvershadow
Warrior

Dispelling quirks

Post by Silvershadow »

So from reading the BRB it seems pretty clear to me that if you dispel the first spell a caster casts, that caster cannot cast again that magic phase.
So assuming the army trying to cast a spell only has the one spellcaster, is there any reason for the dispeller to not throw lots of dice (assuming they have them) at dispelling that first spell and thus end the magic phase? Am I missing some nuance of the rules here?

I ask because I feel like I've seen a lot of cases where people start by casting something small with a single dice etc. and people let it go instead of just throwing all their dispel dice on overpowering it and ending any threat of magic. I could understand if there were multiple spell casters, but with only one caster to worry about I don't see why you wouldn't overpower the first spell aside from holding back in case you do not succeed so you still have a chance at dispelling the next spell.

Are people with a single caster doing this just making a tactical error/not understanding how casting&dispelling works, or have I missed something? Thanks.
8th edition Dark Elf book: 11-1-5 before I lost track

All hail the Eternity King!
Dragon9
Assassin

Re: Dispelling quirks

Post by Dragon9 »

You've missed something. ;) Casters don't lose concentration from having a spell dispelled. Only if they fail to meet the amount needed to cast (i.e. You need a 10+ to cast and your roll plus level is 9). Or if your dice total 1 or 2. Dispelling has nothing to do with it.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Silvershadow
Warrior

Re: Dispelling quirks

Post by Silvershadow »

I looked in the BRB now and I see my mistake - I was reading page 35 incorrectly, where it says the dispelling mage won't be able to dispel again I somehow substituted the casting mage in. My bad, thank you! :)
8th edition Dark Elf book: 11-1-5 before I lost track

All hail the Eternity King!