magical attacks from de items

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Bigboar
Dark Rider

magical attacks from de items

Post by Bigboar »

are the attacks made by Black amulet, magical? I think so even if the original are from a normal attack.. and what about the cloak of twilight, are the attacks from the bearer magic on first turn only? (since the item give you a boost only on that turn)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: magical attacks from de items

Post by Daeron »

Excellent questions. I'm not sure but I think:
- Rebouncing wounds from the Black Amulet would count as magical
- Attacks with a mundane weapon and the Cloak of Twillight are not magical, as the model is granted the special rules and not the weapon.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Damage done by magic items is always magical.

Since black amulet bounces the wounds back, they are magical

Cloak of twilight enhances attacks but doesn't do damage by itself so its not magical.
Otyerwise you'd have to assume that attacks done by any model with any attack improving spell on them are magical.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Bigboar
Dark Rider

Post by Bigboar »

according to the faq:

Q: What are ‘magical attacks’? (p68)
A: All attacks made by spells and magic items are considered
to be magical attacks, as are all attacks that are specifically
noted as being magical attacks. Shots fired from magical items
are also considered to be magical attacks, unless their
description specifically states otherwise. Hits inflicted by rolls
on the Miscast table are treated as magical attacks.
(emphasis mine)

so it looks like that an item that gives your hero +d3 extra attacks gives him d3 magical attacks, while an item that makes your normal attacks multiwound d3 doesn't (they are the original attacks just enhanced).
it's not crystal clear but it make sense.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Bigboar wrote:so it looks like that an item that gives your hero +d3 extra attacks gives him d3 magical attacks, while an item that make your normal attacks multiwound d3 doesn't /they are the same numer of attack just enhanced).

If it's a magic sword giving the multiwound rule, I think it's safe to say that there are magical attacks.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Bigboar
Dark Rider

Post by Bigboar »

Dyvim tvar wrote:
Bigboar wrote:so it looks like that an item that gives your hero +d3 extra attacks gives him d3 magical attacks, while an item that make your normal attacks multiwound d3 doesn't /they are the same numer of attack just enhanced).

If it's a magic sword giving the multiwound rule, I think it's safe to say that there are magical attacks.

sure, you must use a magic weapon and all your attacks are magical...
but an attack that come from a cloak, an amulet, an armour a pair of shoes... !lol! they are magical as well.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

i wish that was the case Bigboar xD would make my life so much easier vs my standaard opponent who plays VC.
he just makes a joke out of my Peggylord :'(
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Sangfroid
Executioner

Post by Sangfroid »

Would attacks from a unit with the banner of eternal flame be able to damage Etherals, the description for them in the rule book states magical attacks and effects, the flame from the banner would seem to be an effect from a magical item.

Any thoughts or experience of this in practice?
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Sangfroid wrote:Would attacks from a unit with the banner of eternal flame be able to damage Etherals, the description for them in the rule book states magical attacks and effects, the flame from the banner would seem to be an effect from a magical item.

Any thoughts or experience of this in practice?

Short answer: No. They're Flaming Attacks, but not magical Flaming Attacks.

The attacks aren't from the item itself. The item's effects enhance existing attacks, in much the same way as the Cloak of Twilight.

If the Banner of Eternal Flame gave you magical attacks because it's a magical item, there would be no point in Flaming Sword of Rhuin specifically conferring magical attacks AND Flaming Attacks on the target unit. That it confers both, and states each one as a separate effect, suggests that the Banner of Eternal Flame doesn't make your attacks magical.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."