CoB/Bloodwrack Shrine in units - assault on buildings?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Gladisknight
Slave (off the Altar)

CoB/Bloodwrack Shrine in units - assault on buildings?

Post by Gladisknight »

Hello all,
This question popped up yesterday during a game with the watchtower scenario.
I played a two tower list with executioners and witchelves and CoB and the Shrine. When checking up the rules I decided that I wouldn't be able to assault the watchtower as long as a chariot is within my unit, nor would I be able to occupy it.

I wanted to know what the general agreement about this is?
Can a unit with either CoB or the Bloodwrack Shrine assault or even occupy a building?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: CoB/Bloodwrack Shrine in units - assault on buildings?

Post by Daeron »

Hm. I'd say it's a fair way to play it. If you want them to assault the building, the COB/BWS needs to be moved out of the unit first.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

p.86, chariots & building: "chariots cannot enter or assault buildings".
p.99, Combined units: "if the character is subject to any movement restrictions, then those restrictions apply to the whole combined unit".
Therefore, no building assault as long as a chariot is inside the unit.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Gladisknight
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Gladisknight »

Thanks, I lacked the p.99 Combined units to make it clear. So, I guess watchtower is one of the scenarios a two tower list struggles with... hmmmm...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Not really.
If you win deployment, put your witch elves in there and park the cob behind the tower on turn 1 - nobody will take it.

If you don't win, exit the cob turn before you assault with witches and you have a small chance of winning.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Gladisknight
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Gladisknight »

But you need to keep your witches at a maximum of 20 models to be able to put them in the tower.

In the game I had yesterday, I had 29 witches, so it wouldn't have been an option to deploy them in the tower had I won the roll off to begin with.
I deployed the executioners (I had 26) without the shrine in front of the tower but kept the cauldron with the witches.
1st turn I charged my executioners at the zombies in the tower, killed one half, in the second turn however I decided to stall for a turn and not finish off the zombies (worst idea) because I did not want to immediately get charged by the crypt guard marching up to the tower in return... After that mistake of the century I never had the possibility to charge the watchtower again, even with taking the cauldron out of the witches... That scenario can be a big nut to crack at times, especially against undead.
I am even considering running the cauldron and the shrine solo in that scenario so I have 2 units able to assault the building if one gets delayed for whatever reason, like, something ethereal pinning me to the place.