[FAQ] Can Scourgerunner Chariot shoots both RXBs and Bolt?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

[FAQ] Can Scourgerunner Chariot shoots both RXBs and Bolt?

Post by Daeron »

In a recent Twitter discussion about whether a Treeman gets to use both shooting weapons, a rule came up that instantly made me thing about the Scourgerunner Chariot. Here is a link to the original discussion.
https://twitter.com/Channel_4_News/stat ... 0227311617

The rule in question is this one:

Our current FAQ notes that it should have as many shots as it has crew being 2 out of 3 weapons: 2 RXBs, 1 Bolt. Following that logic, it should be possible to fire the bolt and one RXB. However, if the Scourgerunner is considered a single model, then the rule linked above would force it to choose between firing the bolt or the RXBs. While it may be a little less intuitive, it does seem to be what the rules say unless there's another rule saying something else.

What are your thoughts on this?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: [FAQ] Can Scourgerunner Chariot shoots both RXBs and Bol

Post by Calisson »

It should be not different from the COC, which shoots with two RXB.

Rules:
Your pic shows BRB p.88, last sentence.

BRB p.86, on chariots: "If the crew models have missile weapons, they use their own Ballistic Skill when making shooting attacks."
It seems that in GW terminology, the chariot is a model made of several models...

AB p.94, scourgerunner is manned by 2 crewmembers, each having a RXB.
In addition, the chariot is equipped with a harpoon.
AB p.87, the Beastmaster replaces one of the crewmembers (note that he cannot buy any shooting weapon).

Interpretations:
Several interpretations can be made. All can be justified by a more or less strict reading of the rules. Use your common sense!

0) Zero harpoon shot.
Per p.86, the crew can only shoot their own shooting weapons, therefore the harpoon, which belongs to no crew, cannot be used by anyone, ever. If the BM is taken, he cannot shoot at all, but the other crewmember can shoot her RXB. If the BM is not taken, then both crewmember can shoot their RXB. :cry:

1) One shot only.
Chariot as a whole is a single model, therefore, per BRB p.88, only one weapon from {Harpoon, RXB, RXB} can be shot at all. The only use for the RXB is Stand & Shoot (with only one of them). :?

2) No more than two shots.
Chariot includes two models who can shoot. The Harpoon obviously requires one of them to handle it, which precludes that same model to use his RXB, if he has one. :)

3) Up to three shots.
Every model can shoot: both crewmember can shoot their RXB, and in addition, the chariot can shoot its harpoon, using the best BS available (per BRB p.112: roll to hit using the crew's BS), for a total of 3 shots per turn. :twisted:

D.net's FAQ selected interpretation 2) :) . I'm absolutely confident that it reflects the appropriate way to interpret the rules.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I agree that 2 is the most likely intention, and the FAQ should still reflect that.
Option '0' however definitely amused me :) taking RAW to the edge, definitely wouldn't win any sportsmanship awards.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Another option:

Harpoon requires 2 crew to shoot. Player chooses whether to shoot 2 crossbows (up to 4 shots) or a single harpoon. Although the model makes it look like only 1 crew is required to shoot, normal bolt thrower has a crew of 2 or more.
Truly These are the End Times ...
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Dyvim tvar wrote:Another option:

Harpoon requires 2 crew to shoot. Player chooses whether to shoot 2 crossbows (up to 4 shots) or a single harpoon. Although the model makes it look like only 1 crew is required to shoot, normal bolt thrower has a crew of 2 or more.

Except normal bolt throwers still function after taking 1 wound - i.e. one crew killed.
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

MangoPunch wrote:
Dyvim tvar wrote:Another option:

Except normal bolt throwers still function after taking 1 wound - i.e. one crew killed.

I understand that, but that doesn't necessarily change the answer. I wish that the unit description said how many crew it takes to fire the harpoon. It is interesting that the Lizardman book specifies that it only takes 1 skink to fire a Stegadon's giant bow, but the later-written Dark Elf book is silent on a similar issue.

Personally, I would play that only 1 crew is needed and the other can fire his crossbow as per normal, mostly due to the way the model itself looks. One must remember that they both need to shoot at the same target--no splitting fire.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

No shooting weapon takes more than one model to fire anymore. This includes war machines. Harpoon can be fired by a single crew.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Crew is essentially considered a wound token. I'm not sure if it was intended to be used as a counter for how many guns can be fired.
But it should also be noted that the chariot is considered a single model.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze