War Hydra's and Handlers

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Blackthorne
Slave (off the Altar)

War Hydra's and Handlers

Post by Blackthorne »

In the Dark Elf army book, there isn't a single monster that requires handlers, but they are sold online with two beast master handlers. If I look in other army books, such as WoC Hellcannon, it has the special rule Monsters and Handlers which is non existent in the dark elf book despite the fact that they have stats listed. I feel like I'm probably missing something, and I'll admit I only have about three battles under my belt so far but any clarification would be greatly helpful! Do Hydra's have handlers? Thanks in advance!
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Re: War Hydra's and Handlers

Post by CitizenKhaine »

In previous versions they used to have handlers and rules for handlers, they could attack etc. Now they are just decorations - a pity really
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Blackthorne
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Blackthorne »

Yeah that's what I started leaning towards, well damn!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hydra's handlers used to be significant. They had stats, they would fight, IIRC the earlier ones had M5 whyle the hydra had M6 so they even slowed down the hydra...

Then our previous army book arrived, and handlers learned to hide behind the monster's legs. They could no longer be individuated, but still they did fight.

Then the present rulebook arrived, and we had to think twice before we could understand how the new monster and handler rules would mix with hydra's specific rules. The result was just that we could ignore the handlers for all purpose, except that they provided their own Ld and attacks, which could benefit from COB's blessings. Many people started to glue the handles on the hydra's base, for the models had lost all autonomy.

Then came the present army book and the present model. Handlers have no role except fluff. I did not bother to glue them to my kharibdyss model, they serve no role. Better have extra bits for some other role.

The future rulebook will probably drop the handler'ss rule altogether.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}