Chariot breaks during charge?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Barking Agatha
Corsair

Chariot breaks during charge?

Post by Barking Agatha »

Hi.

This came up: if I declare a charge with my character on a chariot, and the charge is succesful, but it goes through a forest, and as she enters the forest I roll a '1' and the chariot is destroyed. Does she complete the charge on foot?

Thanks!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Chariot breaks during charge?

Post by Calisson »

Short answer: Yes.

Detailed answer:
The charge has been declared and has been ruled out as successful.
The destruction of the chariot does not change that fact and there is no rule to alter the success of the charge.

Analogy:
There is one piece of rule which could higlhlight the intention, p.106:
if the S&S reaction kills the mount (i.e. before the dice are rolled and charge determined to be successful at all), the rider must try to complete the charge, using his own M and swifstride.
This proves that once the charge is declared, the mount's destruction is no reason for not attempting the charge.

Explanation:
Once the charge distance has been rolled with 2 best of 3 d6, you are not going to reroll it with 2 dice, are you?
It would be too complex to determine which % of the distance has been made with the mount's movement and which % remains to run with the character's M and lack of swifstride.
That would be against WH spirit which rates fun above rules.

Suggestion:
If the destruction happens before the movement starts at all (chariot charging from the forest) and if you did not roll yet the charge distance with 3 dice, then I would suggest to calculate the charge with the rider's M and lack of swiftstride. There is no explicit rule telling that, but it looks similar enough with the S&S killing the mount rule p.106, for your opponent and you to agree on that. If either one does not agree, then stick to the letter of the rule (or absence thereof) and complete the charge with swiftstride and mount's M, but don't expect to gain a cool reputation with that.

Comment:
Note that this is an evolution from previous edition of rulebook, where in case the mount was destroyed during the charge, the rider could only remain there.
But that was previous edition. Beware that your opponent might still have this in mind.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Re: Chariot breaks during charge?

Post by Barking Agatha »

Thanks! :)