BSB and the Gleaming Pennant

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Forumite
Dark Rider

BSB and the Gleaming Pennant

Post by Forumite »

How do these interact? Gleaming Pennant gives a reroll on the first failed Ld-roll, and the BSB gives a reroll on all failed Ld-rolls. They seem to trigger at the same time, however the rule is that when you reroll the first result never happened. If the BSB reroll is successfull, then the roll never failed and the Gleaming Pennant should stay unused, since the failed roll never happened in the first place. If the reroll fails again then the Gleaming Pennant would trigger but end up wasted as the roll was allready rerolled. Is this too much rules lawyering?

On a related note, I consider using Gleaming Pennant on a Fast Cav BSB so he can reroll his rally tests, since the BSB doesn't work if he's fleeing. I thought of this after I did a Feigned Flight turn 1 with my lvl 4 general on Steed, then failed to rally on Ld10 the next turn, running off the board.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: BSB and the Gleaming Pennant

Post by Dalamar »

First failed is a first failed. BSB overrides gleaming pennant.

Also, fleeing models can't use magic items so canf use gleaming pennant
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

To clarify Dalamars result.

Gleaming works on the first failed attempt. If you fail a LD test, your reroll it via gleaming pennant. The banner is now gone, and is no longer magical. If your BSB is somehow nearby, you still reroll the failed test - but the banner is still gone, since it works on the first failed LD test only.

And then, as Dalamar said - fleeing models cant use magic items. So putting a flag like that on your BSB would be a complete waste in more than one way :)
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Forumite
Dark Rider

Post by Forumite »

Can't fleeing units use any magic items? I understand about Dispel Scrolls and Ruby Ring, but what about Ward Saves?
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Ward saves work, since you dont "use" a ward save. You have a magic aura around you that interferes with incoming damage, fleeing or not will make no difference. Same way fleeing units gets armor saves. They are just there.
The reason you cant "Hold your ground!" when a BSB is fleeing is because... Well he is fleeing in a panic. He cant very well shout "HOLD YOUR GROUND, DEFEND THE BATTLE STANDARD!!!" when he is busy bailing.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Let's answer it another way. The Gleaming Pennant only allows a unit to reroll its first failed test. If it already failed a leadership test then the second failed test is not the first. The fact that the first failed test may have been rerolled (regardless of the "source" of the reroll) doesn't matter.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Forumite
Dark Rider

Post by Forumite »

In that case the Gleaming Pennant should work for a fleeing fast cav BSB rallying from a feigned flight. It's not an item you actively use, it automatically activates when you fail a Ld-roll, the player doesn't have a say in if it's used or not. It's similar to the Charmed Shield and the Opal Amulet, and if ward saves work when fleeing then those items should too.