Morathi spells and rules

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

ras830
Slave (off the Altar)

Morathi spells and rules

Post by ras830 »

Hey everyone!

I'm from Denmark and sometimes struggle to find out what the rules are. I haven't played warhammer for a long time and the last time i played Morathi she just knew all the spells in Dark magic. Now i can't figure out how to do it. It says that you get to chose between death, shadow and dark but does that mean that I still have to roll for the spells like all other wizards do or do I get to chose 4 spells that i like and mix them between the lores?

Furthermore it says that she gets D3 on every casting attempt. And with Hekartis blessing it means that everytime I use Dark she gets D3+1 everytime she attemps a spell or is it per magic phase?

Please help me understand! :-D
Sangfroid
Executioner

Re: Morathi spells and rules

Post by Sangfroid »

She can take 4 spell, you select how many from each lore you want to roll, then roll for spells as normal.

The D3 to cast is exactly that when you cast a spell you also throw a free D3 into the casting attempt or in the case of dark magic D3+1

This is in addition to the +4 she gets as a lvl 4 caster

A major benefit aside from making it even easier to cast spell and not have them dispelled is that the minimum roll of 2 always fails therefore you are always guaranteed to get at least 2 on any casting attempt even with one dice so reduces the chance to break concentration (doesn't entirely remove it of course) I think that works out as a 5.56% chance which is pretty good as some of the spells are effective auto cast with her bonus (chill wind, miasma, curse or laniph, steed of shadows, aspect of the dread knight) others like soul leech would only fail to cast if you rolled a 1 plus the D3 rolled a 1 or 2 so 94% ish chance of success (excluding dispels of course)
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Sangfroid wrote:She can take 4 spell, you select how many from each lore you want to roll, then roll for spells as normal.

The D3 to cast is exactly that when you cast a spell you also throw a free D3 into the casting attempt or in the case of dark magic D3+1

This is in addition to the +4 she gets as a lvl 4 caster

A major benefit aside from making it even easier to cast spell and not have them dispelled is that the minimum roll of 2 always fails therefore you are always guaranteed to get at least 2 on any casting attempt even with one dice so reduces the chance to break concentration (doesn't entirely remove it of course) I think that works out as a 5.56% chance which is pretty good as some of the spells are effective auto cast with her bonus (chill wind, miasma, curse or laniph, steed of shadows, aspect of the dread knight) others like soul leech would only fail to cast if you rolled a 1 plus the D3 rolled a 1 or 2 so 94% ish chance of success (excluding dispels of course)

Almost correct. The spell selection is as Sangfrod describes... Say you play 3 games with the same list over a weekend. Game one versus ogres you wanna go all death magic for the munchy purple sun, so you roll 4 death spells. Game 2 vs wood elves you want a miasma to stop his trueflight arrows, a spirit leech to snipe his characters, and a nice doombolt. So you roll 1 shadow, 1 death, and 2 dark spells. This offers her incredible flexibility.

The plus to casting is indeed also correct. You wanna cast doombolt at 12+, roll 2d6, then add 4 for her caster lvl, 1 for dark magic, and d3 for her special.

It can, however, NOT be used to avoid breaking concentration! The extra d3 is a bonus to casting, it is NOT an extra "semi power dice". The natural dice roll is the amount of power dice you roll - a 1 and 2 on those, will fail, regardless of the bonus d3. So you will usually want to use minimum 2 dice for spells anyway.

The massive advantage on the extra d3 means you have a huge lead in the magic phase. You spend 3 dice + d3 to cast a spell, the opponent will realistically have to blow 4 dispel dice to get rid of it. And he had less DD than you had PD to begin with, giving you a big edge.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Sangfroid
Executioner

Post by Sangfroid »

Sorry hadn't realised that I had figured that as it is a natural dice it would be included :-)
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Sangfroid wrote:Sorry hadn't realised that I had figured that as it is a natural dice it would be included :-)

iirc the rule just says "receives a d3 bonus on all casting attempts". Just wanted to point out so noone 1-dice spells, and gets caught with their pants down :P
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
ras830
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by ras830 »

Perfect! Thank you everybody for the quick answers! Now i finally get it! hehe.