Over kill wounds from the Cloak of Twilight in a Challenge?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Over kill wounds from the Cloak of Twilight in a Challenge?

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Hi - Can a rules master help?

I played a game last night against Empire and my Peg Hero with the CoT flank charged a unit of Inner Circle Knights to support another charge. The Knight perceptor challenged and I accepted with the Peg Hero, who wasted him, hitting and wounding on all 3 attacks. I thought the d3 wounds would count towards over kill combat res because in the BRB referencing overkill on page 103 and it says on paragraph 2 “Note that this is an exception to the rule stating that a model can only suffer as many wounds as it has on its profile. This time you need to add up all of the wounds inflicted on the victim, even those from a weapon causing multiple wounds …” but my opponent disagreed says that he could only ever do 3 points of overkill.
It was academic for that game as the knights failed the leadership roll, even with Karl Franz near by and the BSB in the unit :)
But I would like to know how it should work as I would like to take this Peg Hero build again.

Thanks
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Over kill wounds from the Cloak of Twilight in a Challen

Post by Calisson »

What your opponent referred at was not BRB p.103, "Overkill". It was p.45, "hits inflicting multiple wounds".

Start with p.45. There, you read that a model cannot suffer more wounds than it has on its profile, even with a weapon making d3 wounds.
You made 3 hits, each hit is capped at 1 wound on a 1W model, or 2 wounds on a 2W model.

This done, you can go now to p.103. And only now, you can add the wounds and do some overkill, up to 5 wounds.
This is why with 3 hits, you would not be able to do more than 3 overkills on a 1W model.

To give a different example, let's imagine you were challenging the BSB, with 2 wounds.
You make 3 hits. Each hit may inflict d3 wounds, but they are capped at 2 wounds (the BSB's max).
Then you cumulated the wounds made (1 or 2) for a maximum of 5 (overkill's max).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

hmmm... still not clear to me
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Well, I have to agree that it is confusing.
Both interpretations could be argued for, because of the wording, and there is no FAQ on this issue.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Olliewood
Shade

Post by Olliewood »

Maybe explaining it like this will help clear up what Calison is saying:

A model can never take more wounds than areon it's profile. In a challenge you can get overkill of up to 5 wounds, but each of your D3 wound causing rolls are capped at the total wounds number on the target. So if you wound a one wound model with 2 D3 wound causing hits no matter how high you roll on the D3 multiple wound roll wound roll you will only be able to count one of those wounds for each roll towards the calculation of combat res. If it is a 2 wound model you can only count 2 per D3 wound roll, a 3 wound model would allow you to max out the multiple wound roll and count up to 5 of them for overkill in challenge.

I believe this is the same thing Calison said just worded differently.
Cheers,
Oli
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Thanks for the answers, that makes sense now.
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270