targeting a death hag on a COB

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

maximon
Dark Rider

targeting a death hag on a COB

Post by maximon »

can you single out a death hag on a cauldron of blood, and if you can, how does it work?

by work, I mean do you have to randomize who your hitting in the case of like shooting war machines
war was made for blood. blood was made for pleasure
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: targeting a death hag on a COB

Post by Thraundil »

maximon wrote:can you single out a death hag on a cauldron of blood, and if you can, how does it work?

by work, I mean do you have to randomize who your hitting in the case of like shooting war machines

A death hag on a cauldron of blood is a character riding a chariot - which follows all the rules for a character riding a monster.

This means that if the cauldron is alone: all BS shooting hits are randomised. 1-4, it hits the cauldron. 5-6 it hits the death hag.

If the cauldron is joined into a unit: It now counts as a character in a unit for BS shooting. This means if there are 5 or more regular rank and file models, excluding the unit champion, the cauldron and death hag can never ever be hit by a ballistic skill shooting attack. If there are less than 5 rank and file models left, you (the player who owns the cauldron) assigns shooting attacks as normal. All models must be hit once before any one model can be hit for a 2nd time.

In either case, shooting attacks that do not use ballistic skill (template weapons, cannon balls and the like) that hits anywhere on the cauldron base will hit both the death hag and the cauldron itself.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thraundil wrote:A death hag on a cauldron of blood is a character riding a chariot - which follows all the rules for a character riding a monster.

This means that if the cauldron is alone: all BS shooting hits are randomised. 1-4, it hits the cauldron. 5-6 it hits the death hag.

If the cauldron is joined into a unit: It now counts as a character in a unit of different troop type for BS shooting. This means if there are 5 or more regular rank and file models, excluding the unit champion, the cauldron and death hag can never ever be hit by a ballistic skill shooting attack. If there are less than 5 rank and file models left, you (the player who owns the cauldron) assigns shooting attacks as normal. All models must be hit once before any one model can be hit for a 2nd time.

In either case, shooting attacks that do not use ballistic skill (template weapons, cannon balls and the like) that hits anywhere on the cauldron base will hit both the death hag and the cauldron itself.
@ Thraundil
Excellent, comprehensive answer, except for a small detail which is corrected in the quote above:
BRB p.99 says "If there are fewer than five R&F models left in the unit (or the character is of a different troop type)..."
Here, the DH troop type is chariot, i.e. is different from any unit it can join.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
maximon
Dark Rider

Post by maximon »

alright thanks.

I actually have another question. if I charge a unit and it turns out I engage two units in melee combat and the cauldron is touching both while on the charge, do both units suffer d6 +1 impact hits or do I choose which unit takes the impact hits
war was made for blood. blood was made for pleasure
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

BRB p.71: if 2 units are hit, split as evenly as possible, randomize the odd one.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}