Shroud of Despair in infantry unit

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Shroud of Despair in infantry unit

Post by Lord Drakon »

I have a question about possible plan to for leadership bomb trick.
In my list there is an Supreme Sorceress, Assassin, Infantry Unit (Sisters of Slaughter) and Bloodwrack Shrine.

Bloodwrack and Sisters are combined into Shrine of Slaughter.

C B B B SS
S B B B SB
S B B B S
S B B B S
S B B B S

Hidden: Assassin

Does my Supreme Sorceress need line of sight and front arc to cast Shroud of Despair while in the middle of the battle with the combined unit? If not, she can already stay in second rank because of command models (champion and standard bearer) and all is fine.

But when she needs line of sight etc. to cast Shroud of Despair she has to be in the front rank, so vulnerable. My question is that when I deploy my hidden assassin when in combat, will the Supreme Sorceress take the unit champions place, or move to the second rank ?

C B B B A
ST B B B SS

or

SS B B B A
C B B B SB

If she is moved to the second rank Shroud of Despair becomes a very very interesting spell for my army list
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Re: Shroud of Despair in infantry unit

Post by Haagrum »

Shroud of Despair is a hex spell.

Hex spells do not require line of sight and can be cast at targets outside the caster's forward arc.

Your sorceress can stay safe in rank #2 and cast Shroud of Despair without impediments.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Evil laugh
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Also. Shroud of Despair targets all enemies within 12" of the caster. So there ;)
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

And when I first want to throw out some doombolts, then when combat is closing in can I just retreat to second rank again in movement phase ?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

AFAIK you can see from the second rank. So, it's possible to put the Sorc on the second rank and shoot Doombolts from there on. However, a Vortex starts in front of the Sorceress and will touch models in front of the Sorc. Perhaps even your BWS though I'd have to check that. A thing to keep in mind for Black Horror.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
dms505
Shade

Post by dms505 »

Models in the second rank are assumed to see the same thing as the front rank I believe. Otherwise the second ranks shooting would always get a -1 for the enemy being obscured. But regardless the game uses true line of site in this edition so she could be 5 ranks deep and still cast a spell as long as you can draw a line from her eyes to the enemy unit. This is especially easy if you have the plastic sorceress with the ghostliness raising her off the ground.