Cannon hit on ranked unit

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Cannon hit on ranked unit

Post by Daeron »

Greetings,

I feel silly for having to ask this... but it's been a while since I actually faced cannons, let alone cannons that took the time to hit my ranked troops. I don't remember how to resolve the hit of a cannon ball on a ranked unit anymore. AFAIK, according to the rules, every model on the path is hit, but Bolt Throwers only hit 1 model per rank.
So I was wondering if cannon balls can hit more than 1 model per rank like this: (red = trajectory of cannon ball)

I think we used to resolve it that any model was hit as long as the consecutive models were killed.. But I can't for the life of me remember if that is correct or if that's some old edition shennenigans. The funny thing is, one of my more regular opponents is a Dwarfs player, but he's been taking organ guns and grudge throwers rather than cannons lately. The rest of my opponents.. well they don't bring cannons.

So is this correct?

Cheers,
Daeron
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Cannon hit on ranked unit

Post by Thraundil »

A bolt thrower can hit one model per rank. A failure to kill a model stops the bolt in its tracks.

A cannon ball can hit one model per rank as well. Only, a failure to kill doesnt stop it. In your drawing, 4 models at the most can be hit and killed by the cannonball. In spite of actually 'hitting' more models - it is capped at one per rank. Differently so if its a flank shot of course, then the limit becomes the width of the unit.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Ohhh, so it doesn't stop at failing to wound? Ahh.. I don't recall that ever coming up. I guess I should be fight cannon players more often. Maybe that's why I'm still playing a Two Towers list :P
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Yeah the first time you bring your cauldron to a cannon fight, you will weep. Its base makes it almost impossible to not hit :P (only three combinations out of the 36 possible will fail to hit: 2 + misfire, misfire + 2 or a double misfire...)

Its all pretty well explained in BRB pages 111-113 though. Bolt throwers need a kill to "bounce" on, whereas the cannonball is so massive it will just bounce onwards at full strength. Only exception is if it hits a MI, MC or monster, and fails to kill it. The mass of those bodies are assumed to be so great that the cannonball is stopped.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Thankfully it's more than just 3 results ;)
It's 2 + misfire and
misfire + 2
misfire + 4
misfire + 6
misfire + 8
misfire + 10
misfire + misfire

Thanks to the fact that first misfire stops the second roll from happening. (short of rerolls etc.)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well I'm working on some numbers and the chance to hit a CoB or BWS is... Shockingly high :)

- The stiff breeze
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Oh my... I am actually bad at statistics, jeez! Thanks for the correction Dal :P

But actually. Since the base is 'only' just shy of 4" long, a 2+2 and a 2+4 / 4+2 / 2+ mis / 4+ mis / 6 + mis will fail to hit it also. So out of the 36 combo's, we can subtract 6 more than the ones you listed. So 13/36 to not hit = 63% chance to hit the cauldron with a cannonball. Of course if theres any kind of angle on, and its not a straight shot (e.g. corner through corner), the chance jumps to 72%. Taking into account 2+ to wound, 4+ ward save and d6 multi, any cannonball has a (13/36)*(5/6)*(1/2) = 30% chance to wound the cauldron, and a 10% chance to kill it outright. Considering most people who bring cannons brings 2 or more, and they will get at least a couple of rounds to fire on you... Well it aint pretty.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Now that you brought up numbers, you forced my hand. http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76462

- The stiff breeze
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

You cooked all that up since I brought the numbers? Impressive ;) will read and comment.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.