New Arcane item: Crown of Hotek

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

New Arcane item: Crown of Hotek

Post by Evilzealot »

-----Just a new idea for an arcane item for our High Sorceresses. It binds extra daemonic energy to the spells of the sorceress, making it deadly to attempt to dispell her spells. The function is similar to the Ring of Hotek, except it would work much more often, and would stop their dispelling instead of their casting. Feel free to comment of the effect or the point cost. The goal is to have some new magic items for the New book.

Crown of Hotek - Talisman - 40 points
---- Any roll of doubles (two sixes, two fives) when the opponent tries to dispel will result in the dispell failing, as if they had rolled double 1's. This only applies to spells cast by the character wearing the Crown of Hotek.

------ OR

Edit: Removed due to being too powerful
Crown of Hotek - Talisman - 80 points
- Any roll of doubles (two sixes, two fives) when the opponent tries to dispel will result in the dispell failing, as if they had rolled double 1's. This only applies to spells cast by the character wearing the Crown of Hotek.
- If the dispell failed because of a roll of a double: The opponent loses all his dispell dice for that phase; no dispell scrolls may be used in that phase.

Editted July 14/2003
Last edited by Evilzealot on Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Malachi
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Malachi »

I think it is an interesting idea.

I think the point cost is too high for both choices. I like that there could be an item that had a play in the dispel phase though.

I think that it should be similarily priced to the ring of hotek.

The other possibiltiy could be that the ring of Hotek is extended to casting and dispel phases of magic with an increase in points cost.
Ka'tala
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ka'tala »

I think 50 pts would be fine for the first suggestion. After all, the more powerful a cast spell is, the more dice the enemy will use to dispel it, with a bigger chance of rolling doubles.

The item would be rather useless for hero sorceresses, as the casting value usually ends up at around 10-12, which only requires 3 dice to dispel, but imagine a high sorceress casting black horror with 5 dice and a result of 21...

But I would make it a talisman instead, because otherwise you would see sorceresses wearing 2 crowns on their head. This as a talisman combined with a black staff really would make an interesting combo (a spell which never fails unless it's a miscast).
Kaleth
Beastmaster

Post by Kaleth »

1st option is great, and the point cost is OK. The 2nd one is both too powerful and too expensive for me. I am not interested in items worth more than 50-60 points.
My Draich is the Witch King's arm.

8ED record: W0-L0-D1
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

Alright, so lets change it to a talisman. That way our anti-magic item is still a talisman and sorceresses won't have two crowns ;)

As for the point cost, it looks like it should be lowered. Now I know some people think it is OK point cost, but I'd like to see items that are good for their point cost! Perhaps 40 points for the minor one, and 80 points for the major one?
Medved
Beastmaster

Post by Medved »

the second point cost u suggest is fine, but still the second version of the item shouldnt be that expensive...
Dalamar: 03/10/2013 "Yes, we are the epitome of glass cannon now. In fact the cannon is so powerful that it's possible for it to damage itself."
7ed: 23-3-3 W-D-L
Seraphlaw
Druchii Archangel

Post by Seraphlaw »

i like the 50 point version...
Seraphlaw

"HA! What damage can a DRUCHII do?" - Famous Last Words
Lord malal
Executioner

Post by Lord malal »

I like the idea, but a few questions

This is an "always on" item, yes?

The range in infinite, yes?

Also I believe that the typical effect of items like these is that if the roll is successful, it still suceeds but the negative effects happen as well....perhaps something where the spell is dispelled but then they have to take some test on 2d6 and if they fail they have no dice for next turn?
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

-----The item is always functioning for spells cast by the wearer. It needs to function for multiple rounds to have any real effect. Also most (all?) Talismans are always functioning.
-----The range HAS to be infinate, because it is impossible to tell where the source of the dispell dice are. The maximum range is 24" spells though, I believe this is the farthest range on spells that are availible to Dark Elves.
-----Just about every effect from items require one roll to be sucessful. This already requires the opponent to roll a double, and I feel if we limit the item any more it will not be used!
Jabberwocky
Noble

Post by Jabberwocky »

how about add that on a double 1 to dispel an enemy wizard chosen by your opponnent suffers a miscast
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

Sounds fine, problem is alot of miscasts wont work. Having all the powerdice drained and ending the magic phase would slightly suck.
Krzew
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Krzew »

I would rather go for the first item. The cost is ok (i could go even for 35 pts) , but what about the situation when your opponent roll two 6's and have auto-dispel - is it working then or not ?
May the Khaine's blessing shine upon you
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

Two 6's never auto dispell.
Srovex
Beastmaster

Post by Srovex »

Where has my reply gone?!? I am sure thet I have comment on these....... :|
That is my Avatar! Dont you dare to took it!

Si vis pacem para bellum
"If you want peace, prepare for war"
Captaincourage
Warrior

Post by Captaincourage »

I like the first one, points should probably be at about 50 though, or maybe 55 to keep lvl 1's from taking it.

The 2nd one is a bit off the deep end on the power scale. Let's not regress back to 5th ed. rules now! :)
Oh I could kill you if I wanted to...
Kill you with my own two hands...
Oh how I could kill you if I wanted to
Kill you like a sacraficial lamb.
Captaincourage
Warrior

Post by Captaincourage »

The first item is a great idea, but it should be raised to 55 points probably. The ring is 40 points after all, and the crown is much better.

The 2nd item is a bit off the deep end on the power scale, let's not regress to 5th. ed. now. ;)
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

Srovex, I didn't remove any posts, I doubt I even have the power to do that on the thread I created. Feel free to post your opinion again, more responses always help.

CaptainCourage, the Ring of Hotek is only 20 points. Yes the crown is better, but do you still think it is 15 points better (35 total for the normal crown)?
Captaincourage
Warrior

Post by Captaincourage »

Evilzealot wrote:Srovex, I didn't remove any posts, I doubt I even have the power to do that on the thread I created. Feel free to post your opinion again, more responses always help.

CaptainCourage, the Ring of Hotek is only 20 points. Yes the crown is better, but do you still think it is 15 points better (35 total for the normal crown)?

Doh! Quite right...quite right, Don't know where my brain was on that one. That being the case I think it's just nifty. Although I have a feeling that GW would take it and make it 55 points (just out of the reach of Hero lvl. char). That's not to say that it should be 55, but...I could see either side of that argument I think. That crown would be the shiznit! :twisted:
Smokey
Beastmaster

Post by Smokey »

Interesting idea. Since it only works on spells cast by the wearer it wouldn't be a great item to give to level 1/2's - so you don't have to make it above 50p. 40 p sounds nice.
Heno
Assassin

Post by Heno »

By the way, how possible it is to roll double with 2d6? I mean you have 50% change to roll 4 or more. So what is the % number needed to roll double with 2d6?
What should I write here?
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

There is a 1 in 6 chance that any dice will be the same as the other dice. So the first roll doesnt matter, there is always a 1/6 chance the second dice will be the same ;). There is a ton of complicated math once you get a bit higher, and I'm too lazy to do it here. Just think of the miscast chance when you cast a spell with 13 power, they would probably use 4 dice or so to dispell it and that results in a good chance for your spell to go unstopped.
Tnt
Dark Rider

Post by Tnt »

50p minimum! the crown of hotek is wery powerful
When the lights begin to fade beware, i am near
Theblahmaster
Cold One Knight

Post by Theblahmaster »

I think this Item is cool, but way to underpriced! That is one awesome weapon you have there, too powerful I would say. There should be some sort of negative side effect if it is only gonna cost that much. Considering a staff of sorcery (or whatever it's called that give +1 to dispel) is fifty points. Yeah, that speaks for itself. NO offence, but the second one is just cheesy. Cool Idea though. The negative could be that if you roll a double 1 when attempting to dispel, you have to roll on the miscast table or something. I don't know, or something where it's like the ring of miscasts (can't remember that name either, hey, it's a useless item, okay!) in that it affects both friends and foe. Just my two cents though.
Seth
Beastmaster
Location: In happyland ! dancing, singing and dallying with all my cute bunny-friends !

Post by Seth »

I would say 55 -60 :roll: ... hmm could'nt it be nice if the talisman took onw ( or more ) of the enemys dispell pool and take it for you own casting :?: but what do I know :roll:
The darkness you see in those around you may not really be in them, but the shadow self within that you are projecting
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

This should probably be an Arcane Item like most spellcasting items are. Might need a note in the description that the weare cannot also have the Crown of Black Iron then. It is an interesting concept. Seems that 50-60 points would be appropriate.
Truly These are the End Times ...