The January Quarterly is up!

Druchii.net Announcements! Whenever something is IMPORTANT, it is in here - PLEASE READ!!!

Moderator: The Dreadlords

Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

The January Quarterly is up!

Post by Imdat tauble »

Hi,

well its that time of the three-month cycle again (eugh - that sounded really bad), and as usual, the quarterly is late. But only by about 12 hours or so :P.

go to http://www.druchii.net/quarterly to download the January quarterly, which is a whopping 148 pages - so big that we had to split it into 3 parts!

I hope you enjoy reading through this issue, for it took the combined effort of all the initiatives to put it together, as well as a huge effort by some individuals whose articles you will see inside (not to mention the layout editing, which, as you can see from the size of it, was a nightmare).

A printer friendly version will be coming soon, but you'll have to wait a day or two before it comes.

Imdat.
Malekithau
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Malekithau »

I can't open it :(
" If I wanted to roll a million dice I'd play Yahtzee!"
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

sorry - screwed up the links.

They should work now
Malekithau
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Malekithau »

Yep working now.

Where's my new avatar? :D
" If I wanted to roll a million dice I'd play Yahtzee!"
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

I fixed the link.
Good work Imdat, and a geat thanks to all the other initiatives who helped us write many of the interesting articles for this issue.

Happy New Year,
//Lord N
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Ah, where is it? :? I go to the page from the link above and I get to the regular "Monthly" page, but the latest issue is still the October one.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Try click update.
It is some buggs on your browser me thinks...

May Khaine Smile upon You!
//Lord N
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Yeah, refreshing the page worked, so now I got it! :D Its big. :shock:
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

malekithau - your nice shiny avatar will be in within a day or 2 providing that it works (otherwise we have to wait for kitrik, and we all know how long that can take...)
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

http://www.druchii.net/quarterly/january_04.html
A directlink to the January issue... if you are a bit lazy or your browser is bugged.

May Khaine Smile upon You!
//Lord N
Slickster
Beastmaster

Post by Slickster »

HI i'm new and don't know what this all is.
can you explain :roll:

i've looked though it and it looks great. ;)
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

This is an Online Magazine made by a group of members here on the site.
The Mag is made by Druchii. It is about druchii. And it is made for druchii. I hope you enjoyed this issue, the next one will (hopefully) be out in April.

May Khaine Smile Upon You!
//Lord N
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Keep in mind also that this stuff is all made by a great team of volunteers (everything from layout to writers to editors and everything in between) and is completely free of both cost and advertizements. :shock: Not only that, but it has loads of great material!
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Iron_panther
Black Guard

Post by Iron_panther »

I've read the first part as .pdf, and it's excellent! :D However, I would like to print it, and those flashy backgrounds (looking great btw) are killing my printer. :oops: What to do?

Edit: Personal note: Must start reading the announcements and not rush for the goodies. Sorry for that one, it's late and my biological rhytm has been toppled (don't you just love christmas holidays?). Now, if you excuse me, I will just fade in with the crowd... :oops:
Last edited by Iron_panther on Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slickster
Beastmaster

Post by Slickster »

i've read that it will come out in about three days or so, in a printer version :mrgreen:
Ixombie
Noble

Suggestions

Post by Ixombie »

First of all, article titles: I would put the article titles at the top of the page, and in a more readable font. It's often confusing to figure out where an article starts, definitely difficult if you're just browsing through for anything of interest. If you don't want to put the names at the top because of space issues, then I would at least change the font- it's hard to read if you don't squint at it. It would also be nice to have bylines below/near the title or at the end of the article.

The articles themselves: I noticed that many articles were summaries of discussions that had been posted, and though the people who started the discussions were usually credited, the words were someone else's and might not have said exactly what the poster wanted to say. If you're going to write articles about interesting threads, try contacting the poster to see if they'd like to write their own take on the whole thing.

The photos: some of mine were used, which pleased me since I like to show off my painting, but you should have captions! Just a simple "model/photo by [forum name]" would suffice. Technically, photos (especially photos of our own painting) are copyrighted works, thus posting them without citing their authors at all would be a violation of the copyright. It's not something that could actually spawn a lawsuit because I think anyone who posts their photos in the druchii album is giving implied consent to have them used in the quarterly. However, credit should be given where credit is due! What's more, posting those photos on the quarterly without credit given to the author could lead to people ripping those and claiming them as their own, with no evidence from the quarterly to prove them wrong, which really *would* be a violation of copyright. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not talking about suing anyone because my photos were used, I'm just asking that the painters be given credit for their work in the quarterly. It's especially not a big deal because the people who work on the quarterly are volunteers and the publication is free, but it would be nice to know who painted what for all the various pics that were used.

P.S. Thanks for using my SDC noble for the tale of the twin black arks article- that was the perfect spot for him 8)
What can change the nature of a man?
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

ixombie: For the titles, I relised the problem halfway through, but to change them would take so long as to be not worth it.

The articles: So far, we often do not contact the author if a reporter wants to write an article about a thread, but otherwise, we do. A lot of the time the articles are there because the author could not write it themselves.

The pictures: Look in the announcement in the album. I clearly state that any photos in there are fair game for the quarterly. Although captions aren't a bad idea - I'll tell sneaky that for the next issue.
Ixombie
Noble

Post by Ixombie »

I clearly state that any photos in there are fair game for the quarterly.

Yeah, I figured as much (though I didn't read that). But I want to stress that I don't mind having my pictures posted. It would be nice however for everyone to know whose work was whose in case we wanted to look up more of their stuff or pm them about how they did it...
Thanks for all the work though, the end result is quite nice (I epsecially dig shadowspite's language guide).
What can change the nature of a man?
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Imdat, could you make a nice post in here when the printer friendly version is up?

May Khaine Smile Upon You!
//Lord N
Rarkarth
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Rarkarth »

"click on each to download them"... um ... why doesnt it work on my cpu?
:(
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Do you have Acrobat Reader installed on your comp?
Chaosgate
Trainee Warrior

Post by Chaosgate »

When will the printer version be ready? My printer will just die after 20 pages! :roll:
When I come for you, all hell comes with me
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

making it now. Will probably be done tonight...
Mandly
Assassin

Post by Mandly »

I didn't know about this magazine, but I looked some on it and it's great..I will have to try to print it...Nice work all involved.
People are stupid, they'll believe anything aslong as they want it to be true or fear that it is
- Terry Goodkind, Wizards First Rule
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Was the pf version removed, or isn't it finished? I'm still new around here and I still would love to print out a copy of every issue and read it.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze