Brief Down Time

Druchii.net Announcements! Whenever something is IMPORTANT, it is in here - PLEASE READ!!!

Moderator: The Dreadlords

Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Mornedhel wrote:hm..it´s sad, but if kitrik says it was necassary to stop bandwidth from exploding, he´s maybe right. after all, no chatroom is far better than no druchii.net, don´t you think?

Being rational will get you nowhere... ;)

It means something to a few of us :cry: (Scary thought, admittedly).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

Why don't all you Chataholics IM eachother? It's only a handful of posters that hangout in there anyway???

PS. I'm still bitter becasue I wasn't invited into the imaginary hot tub.... :(
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

rork, i really enjoyed chatting as well, and communicating via posts isn´t really the same, i know, but i´ve got an idea that might probably help:

on a message board my gf uses to be on, they have a daily smalltalk topic. these topics are created by the first member to be online that day, and it is used for chatting - they go up to 600 posts in no time, but are deleted after one week.

so i suggest making a sub-board for the smalltalk/chat topics, deciding on gmt or something to decide when it´s time for a new one, and naming the topics after the current day, then deleting them after a week. i think it is possible to make the posts in these topics not count towards your posts count, so you aren´t loosing any when they are deleted, and you also don´t gain large numbers of posts by just talking bullshit in those threads.

i´m no forum-pro though, and i don´t know if this will create a problem with bandwidth as well.

but perhaps this is a way that the loss of the chat can at least partially be made up for.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Nightblood
Noble

Post by Nightblood »

Sorry to have to killed the chat, but when Druchii.net eats up our network bandwidth and we started having customers complaining that their websites and emails are super slow, the boss starts asking questions, and if the problem continues Druhii.net will once again be homeless.

The reason that we killed the chat was because the bandwidth hogging began right after Kitrik turned on the chat room.
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

what no chat room.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
but if it was taking up that much space i would rather it went rather than the whole site.
However no we must take over the asur.org chat untill we get a new one
A Waring to all Asur, in the words of Rork

"Prepare to be boarded!"

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Andruillius
Highborn

Post by Andruillius »

(Who edited my os? :P)

Could we do a poll on Chat vs. Album?
Unofficial and self-appointed ambassador of
www.battleglade.com
Ortharrrith
Dark Rider
Location: Stalking the oceans and coastlines of the Warhammer world

Post by Ortharrrith »

Chat! Gone! *looks under sofa* Nope! Not there! *checks cupboard in case it was put away* no *gets worried* Where is it? *puts on Sherlock Holmes hat and looks through magnifiying glass* Was last seen buying alcohol from the local corner shop, no signs of a struggle *finds body of Chatroom in dustbin* NNNNnnnnoooooooo! MURDERERS!!! :cry:

I think we will all miss the chatroom, I've made some great friends in there and I hope they'll all stay in touch. I for one can't wait for a replacement to be found or made. Kind of a Chatroom 2: Return of the Chat(i)

In the mean-time, I can be contacted through msn, orthar_rrith@hotmail.com
Parlay! What do you take me for? Some pathetic Human pirate! Throw him in the hold with the other slaves! - Lady-Captain Orthar Rrith captain of the Red Scourge to Henri Morgan, Brettonian pirate and now Dark Elf slave
Philleehellphia
Assassin

Post by Philleehellphia »

Ahhhhhhhhhh. No more Chat Room, OMG! That was the Best thing here. Ah, i feel like killing myself! Ahhhhhhhhhh!

I would love to go to asur.org, but like some people said before, it's not the same. And Plus, it's the asur..... :P

I must agree with you Orthar, i met some great friends in chat, specially you, Silas, Auric Stormcloud and of course Darkprincess.

Well tell next time y'guys.
Edmonton Oilers Western Conference Champions 2006
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Well, DP won't use IM because she can't... her pc is not powerful enough to run those programs smoothly... :( A shame really, but alas, it's for the sake of the site...
Auric stormcloud
The Black Serpent

Post by Auric stormcloud »

Well, she's in the middle of trying to see if AIM will work. We'll see if it does... :|
Poo-tee-weet?
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

´WEll, will there be any looking for a different solution, like looking for a new host? Anything, to have the chat back. I'll even strip naked in front of an elderlyhome.
Silas
the Mad

Post by Silas »

Seems quite a few people like me...odd, i never realised....

Dont worry lads, I'll be fine. I'm settling back into an old haunt of mine...well, to be honest i had been doing that since this place went down over christmas. Sadly though, the MERWURM has been turned into a Tabby Cat. But at least you can see him now, in person. He likes to sink his claws into my groin though...

Zentaricai wrote:Why don't all you Chataholics IM eachother?

We do anyway, as well as use the chat room. Thats how addicted we are ;)

Zentaricai wrote:It's only a handful of posters that hangout in there anyway???

Sorry, what? Did you ever go in there?!?

(In no particular order) Me, Lethalis, Rork, darkprincess, Auric, Darmort, Kherith, Noble Kondheron, OrtharRith, Angeligue, Anaryin, Andruillius, Loran, Belial, Igor, philleehellphia, Z, Vood, Ansob, Mornedhel, Dragonkin, Dragon_Prince, Linda, Falahk, Arquinsiel, Manwë, Ulrik, Wei, Vengy, Calapine, Zakath, Morph, Archduke, Danceman and loads of others that i've currently forgotten (sorry lads and lasses).

Sure, compared to the number of members thats just a small drop in the ocean. But, if you notice, all of those are the regular posters, well known people, who do lots for this site. A handful of posters my arse!

And now, since i've gotten sentimental, I wish to thank every one of those for really fun times, interesting chats, sing songs, jokes, tales of misery and happiness, advice and condolence.
Mostly I thank ye all for your friendship in what has been a hard year for me.
Special thanks go to Archduke and Igor for...well, they know what. Cheers lads.

Sounds like a long goodbye speech, or something similar, and I guess it is.

Probably not the place to do this, but since this post has become what it has I'll do it anyways.

For those who didnt know; I was going to be leaving (or at least downgrading my time here) on the 20th of Feb.
Since I havent really been posting on the forums any more (way less then i used to anyway, mostly cos i've gotten frustrated and knew i would flame if i did post in some threads...) and i only really hang out in the chat room, which, as you are all obviously aware of, is no longer here, there's not really much point in me waiting till the 20th. However, it crossed my mind that i joined this site around this time of year, and checking my profile it was on the 14th of Feb. So I think it would be fitting for that date, my 2 year anniversary, for my departure. I doubt I'll post much between now and then anyway, but thats a symbolic date (in a strange way).

When I joined 2 years ago i made friends with several who are no longer around; Sureal and Injectilo stand out the most (I wonder why...). Now, I guess, I can follow their paths and say a cheery cheerio.

Oddly, I've just finished listening to Thank You by Dido, and now its Closing Time by Greenday. I guess my soundtrack is in tune with things (pun intended)

I wish you all good luck in the future and I'm sure I'll miss you all. (well...probably not some)

Cheerio

Silas
Shaldekon
Shade

Post by Shaldekon »

*krhm!* I think The Penguin lover is important enough to be remembered! So ad Shaldekon to that chat users list.

No Chat!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!! *dies like many other*
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Sadly though, the MERWURM has been turned into a Tabby Cat.

That's bad...not as bad as when I was turned into a goat, but bad nevertheless...

and loads of others that i've currently forgotten (sorry lads and lasses).

Lexy, Zephyro, Shaldekon, Zagrath, MDK, Darmort, Kitrik...And that's only GMT +1 ;)

Sure, compared to the number of members thats just a small drop in the ocean.

A note could be made here that out of our 7k+ members, there are about half if not more who stand on a grand total of 0. They are mostly browsing the forum and not online here on a regular basis. I'd estimate the real active members at about 1k, mods included.

And now, since i've gotten sentimental, I wish to thank every one of those for really fun times, interesting chats, sing songs, jokes, tales of misery and happiness, advice and condolence.

You're welcome :)

I guess my soundtrack is in tune with things (pun intended)

LoL

I wish you all good luck in the future and I'm sure I'll miss you all. (well...probably not some )

Cheerio

Silas

I for one am sorry to hear this, after all the fun we have had :( I wish you the best of luck and loads of fun with Lady Silas. And most of all, I'll inform you should the chat return, which has got to at one point. I also hope you're going the way Nagathi ;) Thanks and kudos to you too for giving everyone such a good time and songs, even though sometimes they weren't that appreciated :P

Have fun!

PS; does this mean I can have Caroline's articles now? ;)
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Silas, please don't leave.

I know it feels rotten right now. In fact last night when I heared the news about the chatroom I felt just like you do now. In fact if it wasn't for the Monthly, I might even think about leaving too. I didn't get online until after midnight yesterday, and I was thrilled to see that d.net was back online.

And then I read about the chat, and I just felt numb. It was a totally crap end to what had been a totally crap day, and at that moment I too just wanted to leave.

But this is a great site with a lot of great people here. If you leave then it will greatly diminish this site.

I still feel really really bad about this. The d.net chat is the only one that runs properly on my computer and now I've lost it, possibly forever. "numb" doesn't really begin to describe how I feel at this moment.

Last night I felt so bad that I couldn't even post in here, and it's a real struggle to do so now. I just felt so sick then. It had been a particularly bad day and then to get this after it was the last straw :(

But I'm going to force myself to stay here, if only for the Monthly. Part of me wants to leave though, but I know that I'd just miss this place far too much.

There are just too many good people here. The sense of community is stronger here than it is on other warhammer sites such as asur.org

Sadly I am now forced to use their horrid chatroom. Sadly my laptop won't run it so I'm forced to stay up late rather than chat from the comfort of my bedroom :(

Trying to find an alternative but I doubt that I will ever find anything I like as much as our own chatroom. Before the upgrade it was slow and laggy but we all liked it. We all feel a palpable sense of loss now that it's not here anymore.

So now I'm looking for a new chat system. MSN won't run on this pc much less my laptop so its not an option. AIM worked for IM but crashed when I tried to open a chatroom. WinMX seems perfect as you can create your own chatrooms with it but the chatroom mod has to host it on their own computer, which is ok if you have a very fast pc, otherwise it's a non-starter. Also, when the chatmod goes offline, so does the whole room :(
The upside of WinMX is that it's quite fast, but lacks niceties such as smilies and avatars, and its hard to create a truly private chat with it.

IRC just has way too many problems and doesn'r run well in any case here. Also I just hate IRC with a passion that has to be seen to be believed :evil:

So right now I don't know what to do. I'm still reeling from the shock of losing the chat. The worst thing that could happen now is for a load of great people to leave because of this, though I fully understand if they do :(

So I say to Silas and anyone else thinking of leaving; Please stay, because this place won't be the same without you. (It won't be the same without the chat, but it'll be worse if a load of good members leave)

Don't know what more to say

!cry!
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Death on a stick
Highborn

Post by Death on a stick »

*looks around sees all the sad faces and wipes a small tear from his eye*

*Wishes to raise a toast to the chat room*

"It was a good chat room and fun was had by all. D.net will not be the same but we must carry on united in our time of strife"
Death is the only true certainty in life
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Though i'm a bit of a noob, I'll also like to say a few words, also mostly aimed at Silas, though I understand most of you know him far better than I.

firstly:

Silas wrote:(In no particular order) Me, Lethalis, Rork, darkprincess, Auric, Darmort, Kherith, Noble Kondheron, OrtharRith, Angeligue, Anaryin, Andruillius, Loran, Belial, Igor, philleehellphia, Z, Vood, Ansob, Mornedhel, Dragonkin, Dragon_Prince, Linda, Falahk, Arquinsiel, Manwë, Ulrik, Wei, Vengy, Calapine, Zakath, Morph, Archduke, Danceman and loads of others that i've currently forgotten (sorry lads and lasses).

Thank you for being mentioned. I really apreciate it, as it gives me a sense of being accepted. It can be hard to get about in here and try to be part of the community with all you 1k+ posters, when your own postcount is around a hundred, and it's also hard when people adress to each other with first names(I've noticed, for an example, that many call Silas James) as this adds to the feeling of you standing outside, and trying to bust your way into a closed community.

Also, I remeber that you actually were the first I spoke to when I entered the place, in the chat.
Allow me to get sentimental.
I remeber the fine weather, as you gave me a tour around, showing me the tenniscourt, the sauna, and offcourse, the fridge and the MERWURM(or was it the MERWÜRM that lived there?). I felt welcome from the start, when Silas started talking with me right away(bravely assisted by Darmort, not to forget).

All in all, whats the point of departing?
You'll be missed Silas, by lots, you have carved your own name into the site. You're a part of it. And though the chat is now gone, let us not give up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Silas please don't leave!
I'm warning you, if you leave, i'll find you, at then you're in for a private lapdance(meant to be negative).

Do not leave, and noone else get the same idea.

Someone will work something out.(I'm being naive, but that is also a sort of hope)

//LordBelial
Calapine
Highborn

Post by Calapine »

I'm really just here to see so long to silas although hopefully he'll still be on msn, anyway i'll miss you ya many dragon avatar haveing,rork seducing, no nationality ponce ;) , as you were responisble for most of the humour on this site, LOVE YA!!!

As for the chat well i can't really say anything that hasn't been said and tbh i'm too gutted to try.
ITS A BARBARIAN BUNNY--BUSTY BROAD
BONANZA IN MY BRAINPAN--AND I'M THE ONLY
ONE INVITED!!!!!!!!!!!
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

calapine, you're not alone. we all feel really sick and dejected at the moment, but we must keep the late-night chat crowd together, even if it has to be in the crappy asur.org chatroom. I'll be in there and I guess most of the other late night crowd will too, so we hope to see you there too.

We mustn't let this break up the late night crowd.

just sick :cry:
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

but we must keep the late-night chat crowd together, even if it has to be in the crappy asur.org chatroom

If I was included in this group, then count me out. I can't even get in there :(
Andruillius
Highborn

Post by Andruillius »

Bah! There must be some place people can gather? There are thousands of online chats, why don't we occupy one of them? Or "persuade" a computer Wiz to make one for us?

- Not giving up quite yet. And not very keen on going back to A.org.
Unofficial and self-appointed ambassador of
www.battleglade.com
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

okay, folks, now let us stop with the condolences and come up with a solution.

obviously, many of the D-net regulars are very sad about the disappearence of the chat and would welcome its return.
thus, we must think about ways to make that happen.

if the idea of smalltalk topics i posted some way up isn´t to the taste of the majority, what about an 'outsourced' chat?
i mean nobody ever said the chat of D-net has to be hosted by Kitrik.

perhaps there´s one among our number who does have the bandwidth left somewhere, so he can create a new druchii chat?
this then could be made available via a link on the homepage, and we´d have a new chat.

DP would be happy again, Silas might even stay, and even though i haven´t been to the chat too often, i´d be pleased as well, as i liked the chat very much, too.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Silas
the Mad

Post by Silas »

Its nice to know that there's people who want me here. And all those kind words as well.

But dont think that it is because the chat room is no more. I said i was going
to be leaving (or at least downgrading my time here) on the 20th of Feb.

and that has nothing to do with the chat room. All thats happened is that i decided to go earlier then planned. By only six days.

Lethalis wrote:
and loads of others that i've currently forgotten (sorry lads and lasses).

Lexy, Zephyro, Shaldekon, Zagrath, MDK, Darmort, Kitrik...And that's only GMT +1 ;)

I'd included Darmort you know ;) But yeah! how could i forget good old MDK?!? (Me and him had a chat earlier, seems we have an accord)

And yes, you can edit Carolines stuff now...

Caroline; I'm sorry you are upset, and i appreciate that i'm wanted. I'll be back, in the same way as Sureal. And I'm sure someone will convince me to go somewhere where you'll meet me.

I'm not going into the Tavern. Sorry Ricold, your a good bloke, and Ulrik is cool, but i really didnt like my stay the first time round.

LordBelial wrote:Thank you for being mentioned.

No problem.

LordBelial wrote:All in all, whats the point of departing?

Real life.

LordBelial wrote:You'll be missed Silas, by lots, you have carved your own name into the site.

Ah yes, the graffeti...

LordBelial wrote:You're a part of it.

I doubt I'm even a small cog...

Cal; you scare the hell out of me sometimes...but thanks. The same to you. You're refreshing.

Dont worry, as it says in my sig, I'm still around on the net. You can still talk to me.
Hell, Belial has already said hello on the Discworld.

Oh, and I like all your sigs. Strikes my funny bone the loyalty to the Chat.
Mormacili
Beastmaster

Post by Mormacili »

There went 0.65% of druchii net's posts
And also in my opinion Chartage should be razed

I once lost with a 6000 points cult of pleasure army against a 3000 point army of Sylvania.
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

@Mormacili, that fact that you looked that up scares me.....

Well, as I was a far cry from the scary regulars in the chat-room, it doesn't bother me quite as much, especially given the circumstances in the frightening place called the real world. But it does convince me that I was right, and I think I will in fact be taking a quasi-hiatus from this place. I've been here a bit, opened my mouth a lot, and its time to fix the broken things elsewhere. I'll still pop in a bit, but I think its time to settle into a quiter routine for a while......

And don't worry Z, I'll still finish the stuff I've been working on....
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…