Regarding L33T Speak and board rules.

Druchii.net Announcements! Whenever something is IMPORTANT, it is in here - PLEASE READ!!!

Moderator: The Dreadlords

Rasputinii
M-A-D

Regarding L33T Speak and board rules.

Post by Rasputinii »

Good day all,

We (the moderators) feel that there has been an increase in the use of L33T speak (L33T speak is that silly text speak, for example: "u" instead of "you").

This annoucment is to act as a reminder to the members of Druchii.net that English is the board language, and that L33T speak is both looked down upon and against the rules in the case of entire posts made up of it (we don't mind the odd "u" but would rather not speak it).

Please note we are not having a go at the use of abbreviations pertaining to Warhammer, nor are we having a go at people who make a lot of typos (me :D Like you did in the title? ;)) or people who aren't great spellers (although if that is the case please try and use a spellcheck program before posting).

However, for those that are still considering using the evil L33T speak we once again remind you that it is against the board rules, and offenders will encounter our wrath. Persistant offenders will be dealt with as persistant spammers are, or any other persistant rule breakers are.

Please do not use L33T speak on D.net!!!

Thank you for your time,

RasputinII - on behalf of the moderating team.
Pleased to be back
Soulreaper
Noble

Post by Soulreaper »

I hope people start to abide by this.. that "L33T" stuff is getting on my nerves :?
"To some players, luck itself is an art."

Eze'chira's Dark Horde (DE 2000)
W: 5 D: 0 L: 0

list thread:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=42720
pic thread:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=41890
[llct]kain
Assassin

Post by [llct]kain »

Thanks for this post Rasputin.
The "L33T" stuff makes it realy hard for not native speakers to understand - on the first approach to a text.
At all this no chat, it is a forum so it is in my opinion a sign of respect to others to take the time and type a full word (apart from monsters like IMHO where the abbreviation is quite useful )
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

[LLCT]Kain wrote:At all this no chat

Even in a chat it should be kept to a minimum, really (particularly in ours ;) ).

(apart from monsters like IMHO where the abbreviation is quite useful )

Abbreviations are usually fine. It's the wholesale massacre of the english language that really should be avoided - or ur 4 It!!!!one!1!eighty-seven!! (Ahem).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

As Ras said, abbreviations that everyone understands are fine, I think there is even a topic on the most commonly used ones floating somewhere around, it's this "L33T" gobbledygook that's the problem.

Therefore I applaud this reminder although I wish it wasn't necessary.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bring on the dancing squirrels!

Consolecommunity.com - For all your gaming chat and meet-ups
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Eeeeron wrote:As Ras said, abbreviations that everyone understands are fine, I think there is even a topic on the most commonly used ones floating somewhere around, it's this "L33T" gobbledygook that's the problem.

It's called the FAQ :lol:.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

It's called the FAQ .

That'll be the one, I thought it might but wasn't sure.

:oops: Shows how long it was since I last read that thread then.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bring on the dancing squirrels!

Consolecommunity.com - For all your gaming chat and meet-ups
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Well I am really glad it isn't just the mods that have noticed this. Seems like we made the right decision.

One thing I forgot to mention:

If you see it, report it! See a post with L33T speak, then hit that R button, and a moderator will decide what to do with it. When it doubt report it and let us deal with it, thats the best attitude to take IMHO (;)), its never wrong to use the report button, its there for you guys to bring things to a mods attention after all!

Ras
Pleased to be back
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I don't know about the other Mods, but if a post gets reported in the Tactics or army lists forums . . .

f00 1f w3 c47ch y0u u51n6 |337-5p34k, w3 w1|| k1ck y0ur 45535 0ff 7h3 b04rd5

lolololololol

!razz! !razz! !razz!

That was a a little dose of irony for you -- don't use this junk in serious posts, please!
Truly These are the End Times ...
Osmiusvorn
Executioner

Post by Osmiusvorn »

Thank you so much for this! I hate the "L33T" speak and sometimes wish
to choke the person who writes in it with a huge frogleg!

You made the right decision, no doubt about it...
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

Thank you so much for this! I hate the "L33T" speak and sometimes wish
to choke the person who writes in it with a huge frogleg!

I agree, even though we down in Texas use a lot of "Southern talk," it doesn't have a place here:evil:

On a side note, since I am not much of a computer geek, thanks for the actual definition of the "talk(L33T)," that destroys the very fabric of societies ability to read ;)

And thank YOU moderators who won't put up with it :)
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

1337, 1337!

17'5 |337 5p34k y0u ||4m4!

I thought this was already mentioned in the FAQ or something. It's common sense that you should try to maintain a somewhat coherent and understandable English speaking forum. :P

Fr0
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

Thanks Ras, hopefully people will take this to heart and stop buchering the language.
Darmort
The Bane Of Gavin Thrope

Post by Darmort »

f00 1f w3 c47ch y0u u51n6 |337-5p34k, w3 w1|| k1ck y0ur 45535 0ff 7h3 b04rd5

Erm... what? :?

I generally avoid most discussion topics these days, as I can't read what anyone writes anymore (Ah! The days of Drakongin, Lethalis, Nagathi and Arquinsiel, eh? :P)...

What happens to those that don't know the English Language very well? Such as the few Germans or Swedish members on the sight where they admit that their spelling isn't all that good, so they use a lot of text speak (There's a difference between text speak and this L33T speak, actually, as L33T you spend half an hour making one sentance, in text it's more or less 'r u alrite m8?' Which takes about twenty seconds...) instead, simply because they aren't as literate as me, and others that know the English Language (Erm... Mornedhel, Ayvim and Eeeeron spring to mind almost immediately...)?
Back From Druchii Hiatus
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

What happens to those that don't know the English Language very well? Such as the few Germans or Swedish members on the sight where they admit that their spelling isn't all that good, so they use a lot of text speak (There's a difference between text speak and this L33T speak, actually, as L33T you spend half an hour making one sentance, in text it's more or less 'r u alrite m8?' Which takes about twenty seconds...) instead, simply because they aren't as literate as me, and others that know the English Language (Erm... Mornedhel, Ayvim and Eeeeron spring to mind almost immediately...)?

IMO, if they know enough english to use text speak, then they know enough english to speak properly, and using an online translator will help get the message across if they're really having problems. Substituting numbers in for letters was 1337-speak the last time I checked, and while it might just be me, text speak (or "1337-speak lite", if you prefer) is almost as bad, if not worse.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors