PHPBBS 3 RC5

Druchii.net Announcements! Whenever something is IMPORTANT, it is in here - PLEASE READ!!!

Moderator: The Dreadlords

Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

PHPBBS 3 RC5

Post by Langmann »

It appears that the official launch of phpbbs 3 is coming out fairly soon. I intend to upgrade druchii.net to phpbbs 3.0 ASAP since it offers many built in functions that I have had to paste program myself into phpbbs 2.0.

However I have need of some web programmers and artists out there to help upgrade the site as I don't have the time I used to have over the next little while. I have RC5 installed and ready to be played with so that upgrading to official 3.0 is smooth.

If anyone is willing to help with this they may apply below.

Programmer:

To apply you must have experience working with phpbbs or the language php in general. You will be given access to the server which the new site is on and have a key role in the programming of the new site. You will coordinate the artists as well as program the site.

Web Artist:

To apply you don't need programming experience but you must be an artist capable of working with graphics design and web design.

Artists:

To apply all you need is to be a decent artist. You will create druchii art on whatever media you can which will be used by the Web Artist to enhance the site. For example our banners were originally hand drawn.

Please write you name below. If you do not have experience in the field please do not apply. I don't have much time to teach you.
Last edited by Langmann on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dggrj »

Hrm - hopefully it will add the ability to search by topics instead of topics and posts or posts only? I know that we are but one of many WH sites using this as they all suffer from that problem.

I have some experience with php, and I've used it to access a SQL database before, but probably neither the time nor experience to be in a lead position. I would happily fill a smaller role if needed though. Sadly, my lovely little creation is no longer available on the web for demo-purposes :(
I created a dynamic menu based on a keyed entry from the DB which would then search or sort and display a selection of entries in the main body of the page. Does that description make sense? I do have the code around somewhere...

EDIT: typos.
Last edited by Dggrj on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

How much coding experience are you looking for when you say "key role", exactly? Enough to repair some things, install modifications, or the ability to do full installations by hand etc.?

EDIT: I'll tentatively put my name down as a volunteer for coding.
Last edited by Eldacar on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

More info just in case:

I have more perl experience than PHP, but they're so close that I found the switch pretty easy. I used to do web programming in perl as a hobby, stubbornly writing my own guestbook system, etc., rather than use a prefab one. I would consider it fun to get back into it and to help this site, but as I said, not as lead sadly (unless I somehow am the only willing capable candidate, but hopefully Eldacar will share that, yes?)
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

I'd like to apply for helping out with PHP. I've some experience in programming in it (though it's not my primary language), databases globally, and do server-client applications often.

However, my knowledge of PHPBB is limited. I'll install it locally on our server, fiddle around with it, but if someone more experienced steps up, then by all means.

I am not much of a graphical designer, so I'll leave that in the capable hands of many, many others. :)
Die go
Executioner

Post by Die go »

Hi there. If you need and artist, perhap I can help you. Anyway,I´ve been looking forward to make some Druchii artwork for a while now, so this chance is fine.
"Brother, while you burn, you belong to life."
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

Hi, I'd be honoured to help as an "artist" since I'm quite good at drawing and paintng.
How can I show you some works of mine?
Shall I send you a scan of it?
And then if it's Ok you tell me the subject you want drawn??
Sorry, I'm interested but confused,.
So, please, let me know.
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

...And maybe some clever programmer type person can crowbar a colour picker into the chatbox...

:D

*Gets in early*

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Thanks for the replies so far I will leave this open for a while to see how many people sign up.

If you want to submit art as a demonstration of your talents upload scans to the photoalbum. We like art anyway.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Die go
Executioner

Post by Die go »

langmann, I leave you my online portfolio´s link here, if you want to check it out:
www.studioniten.carbonmade.com
"Brother, while you burn, you belong to life."
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

If an artist is required, then here I am.

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=50471

These are pencil sketches, but I could work with a pen also. And for the subject, well actually everything will go.
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

I've uploaded some sketches in Druchii art Album.
I'f I can be of any use to the site I'd be glad to contribute.
Thank You.
Ming

Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

That's a cool Cold One sketch, Ming! You should make them easier to find by putting them in your personal gallery, too, so that they don't vanish into the void one day.

Something I just realized about it is that it'd be easy to make into vector art, woohoo! I'm a big fan of vector art - pixels are evil!
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

I haven't forgot about this. Some nice art work btw.

So I am aiming to get this all done in 2008 spring/summer.

I will contact people closer to that date.

If anyone else wants to sign up feel free to post here.
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

Thanks Dggrj! I'll put those drawings in my gallery, and I'll upload some more.
I'm looking forwaed spring summer 2008! ;)

Dancingpigeon
Highborn

Post by Dancingpigeon »

Posted in Rork's thread that was asking for suggestions, and had been meaning to post here, but had forgotten.

Although PHP isn't my primary language, I'll throw my services as a mad hax0r (aka, programmer) out there :)

Like Tarbo, however, I have little too no experience with PHPBB... I'll give it an install in the next 2weeks and have a bit of a play.
Venkh wrote:But then if wishes were fishes, Id be captain birdseye.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Greetings,

I'd like to apply as programmer. Web development is my hobby and I would love to combine it with Warhammer ;)
My knowledge of webdevelopment is general and broad with a specialization in:
- (X)HTML
- PHP
- Postgre/My-SQL
- CSS.

I have good knowledge of the following frameworks/environments:
- PHPbb2 (developped new actions and styles).
- JavaScript (though would still refrain from using it whenever possible)

If needed, I can help as web artist. I can photoshop exisiting (real) artwork and make technical drawings for web-stuff (buttons, banners etc). You can find some pictures I made in my personal album but keep in mind they are compositions of existing elements which are made by true artists.

Regards,
Daeron
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze