Beast armies?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dehighborn
Cold One Knight

Beast armies?

Post by Dehighborn »

When i was still new to the game, i decided to start with DE because of the large number of beasts. Ive always wanted to try a beast themed army.
I need some advise for making an army that doesnt only play well, but looks cool as well.
My answer to the wood elves?
Khaine's ASPECT OF THE LUMERJACK!!

"Few can understand how much fun one can have with a taser and a SWAT sheild."
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

My best advice is checking out the other beast/KarondKar army lists. Mounted characters is one of the easiest ways to get an overwhelming amount of beasts. Also beasts support infantry blocks well, so you may want to consider some blocks of 20 corsairs (at least they are scaley ;)). Magic is pretty expensive to field when you already have alot of monster riders, so a Spellthirster Hydra may be the best bet. A 2000 point army could have 2 Hydras, a Black Dragon, Manticore and a Dark Pegasus - That should fullfil your beastly desires.
Seraphlaw
Druchii Archangel

Post by Seraphlaw »

manticores and hydras would be your favoured choices... do fill in some Coks and Dr... hmmm... these are the best units in the DE list so it soulcn't be a problem building a beast army...
Seraphlaw

"HA! What damage can a DRUCHII do?" - Famous Last Words
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

If you look at the following discussion thread you'll find my beast-themed army:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=10790

Manticores, hydras, cold-ones and dark riders all fit the theme in my opinion. Dragons work, too, but if you include a dragon in a game of less than 2500 points it can be hard to include the other things you might want.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Dehighborn
Cold One Knight

Post by Dehighborn »

Nice list, but there are no Beast Masters. :cry:

Aki asura
Beastmaster

Post by Aki asura »

Hey, can anyone tell me what the different type of hydras are and what they do?
I can't find the infor anywhere, and learning what a spell thirster does would help (i'm playing against skaven soon and i have problems with them. Cutting their magic out would help)
Do you envy me, General?
No, i do not.
You will fear me one day
-Raistlin majere
Malisteen
Shade

Re: Beast armies?

Post by Malisteen »

DEhighborn wrote:When i was still new to the game, i decided to start with DE because of the large number of beasts. Ive always wanted to try a beast themed army.
I need some advise for making an army that doesnt only play well, but looks cool as well.

You'd want to be playing a Karond Kar themed army, as Karond Kar is the beastmaster city that trains all the beasts and slaves of the dark elves. For core you would want a firm base of warriors (the staple of any dark elf city) and dark riders (one of the most usefull dark elf units, and fluffy because beastmasters train the horses). In special cold one knights and cold one charriots are your fluffiest choices, with maybe some shades and harpies to support. For rare you'll obviously want the hydra. most characters should be mounted, and beastmasters in particular should be used.

Considering that these are the units you want to use, you should wait for the revision, as all of these units (except for the dark riders) are considerably improved.
~nik
Jaqtaar
Cold One Knight

Post by Jaqtaar »

Why do all people seem to think that corsairs do not fit in armies from Karond Kar?
Karond Kar is the main harbour of Naggaroth and all the slaves first come to Karond Kar before being shipped to the other cites.

Some ideas I realised for my own Karond Kar army:

-Use packs of Cold Ones led by a beastmaster (musician) to represent your Dark Riders (atl least those who are not equipped with x-bows).

-Alternatively convert beastmasters on horses to represent Dark Riders (those with x-bows).

-Get some Squigs and field them with a command unit of beast masters in the middle of the rear rank and use the rules for Witch Elves.

-Convert Lizardmen Stegadons and use the rules of Chariots.

-Use Lizarmen Salamanders instead of the RBT model (although I never use RBTs in my games I still bought some 5th edition Salamanders).
Druchii! Hear my voice!
Let your blades be keen! Let your hearts be iron and your thews steel! Let your grim visors be the last thing that the scum of Ulthuan see in this life!
In the name of Naggaroth and the Witch-King ...Charge!
Darkspear
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Darkspear »

i believe that to play beastarmy we should not have infantry at all for fluff reasons. we should restrict ourselves to only the following units

Core: Darkriders

Special: Cold one Chariot and Knights

Rare: Hydra

Characters: Beastmaster! a manticore, a pegasus and if possible a dragon?

I know this army is a littleboring but since we r talking abt beast armies...may as well go for it all the way
In my land, everyone calls me the darkspear. The most famous spearmen commander of all.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

darkspear wrote:Special: Cold one Chariot and Knights

Don't forget harpies . . .
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

darkspear wrote:Special: Cold one Chariot and Knights

Don't forget harpies . . .
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

Evilzealot wrote:... A 2000 point army could have 2 Hydras, a Black Dragon, Manticore and a Dark Pegasus - That should fullfil your beastly desires.

Umm.. I don't think you can have a Dark Pegasus along with the other two in 2000 points. Dragon is a hero, and a Beastmaster on Manticore is two more heros.

I've been toying with the same theme myself lately. Here is the thread on my 2000 point list:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=10662

I'm also working on bumping it up to a 3000 point list for a 4 player battle in early October. That way, I can include a Dark Pegasus, and some magic. Thinking about using a Dark Emmissary and some Fenbeasts along with it. I will have to remove the RBT's to free up a rare slot, but I'd like to field a Dragon, Manticore, Dark Pegasus, Harpies, two units of Cold One Knights, a Cold One Chariot and three Fenbeasts. The core is going to be 4 units of Dark Riders.
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Vice
Highborn

Post by Vice »

Manticores do not take up hero slots bud.
Aki asura
Beastmaster

Post by Aki asura »

They do when a beastmaster rides on them
Do you envy me, General?
No, i do not.
You will fear me one day
-Raistlin majere
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

Beastmaster is 1, Manticore is 1 if BMs on it.
Its not if the Highborn rides one however (makes real sense don't it?)
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
Dehighborn
Cold One Knight

Post by Dehighborn »

Im really going for the anti magic. Makes more room for beasts, see? :mrgreen:

Shadowlord
Beastmaster

Post by Shadowlord »

Drakken wrote:Beastmaster is 1, Manticore is 1 if BMs on it.
Its not if the Highborn rides one however (makes real sense don't it?)

its good... then there is no armies with 4 manticores........
Drakken

Post by Drakken »

If you get High Enough Points you can. In fact you'd only need 3000 pts., 2 Highborns, 2 Beastmasters, 6 Hero Slots.
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

Excuse me for my ignorance, but exactly where does it say manticores take another slot? I'd really like a page number so I can find out what part of my book I failed to read ;)
Orteo
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Orteo »

pg 27, the footnote in the margin. That seems to happen a lot Evilzealot :D
We've all begun to die, and don't know what to do.
Since it hurts to pray to God, when God is dying too.
Takes strength to laugh, when you start to drown.
And we dance while the sky crashes down.

-Jason Webley
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

Damn, I never would of seen that, and I looked several times! Thanks alot, and back to the topic:

When it comes to core choices, do you think warriors or corsairs fit a beast army better?

I am thinking of using corsairs for mine. They have the SDC's which helps them mix in with the rest of the army (although I may need to repaint the cloaks). They are offensive, and that fits in with my strategies with a beast army.
On the other hand spearmen are a cheaper way to build ranks, which is what beasts need to be supported with. They also provide the army with a unit that has a chance to hold against the enemy charges, and eventually you will need to face enemy cavalry.
Orteo
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Orteo »

Corsairs are definitely more in theme with Karond Kar, and as it is a themed list, I would go with them. A unit of 20 with full command and the war banner and a unit of 16 isn't too expensive and should provide you with all the CR you need. Then their are the ever important dark riders. Beastmasters train the dark steeds, so you should be able to get away with them :D I'd include a standard with every unit of DR. So probably 2 corsair units and 2 DR to give you a solid core.
We've all begun to die, and don't know what to do.
Since it hurts to pray to God, when God is dying too.
Takes strength to laugh, when you start to drown.
And we dance while the sky crashes down.

-Jason Webley
Drakken

Post by Drakken »

Dak Riders are a better fit than Corsairs, though if you read what Warriors are supposed to be, they fit in any DE list. Warriors are essentail common people, meaning any city can field them.