DE vs Bretonnians

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Jpadendorff
Slave on the Altar

DE vs Bretonnians

Post by Jpadendorff »

I have just started playing warhammer and need some advice on some tatics to play against a 2000 point bretonnian army. Can anybody please help?
Kill one man and you are a murderer
Kill ten men and you are a monster
Kill a hundred men and you are a hero
Kill a thousand men and you are a conqueror
Kill everyone and you are Khaine, God of the Dark Elves
Ash010110
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ash010110 »

Check out my battle report (sir hurts-a-lot), and the comments made by Morkai in the story. Use riders to hem the large lances; flee the first charge and then counter with high strength stuff or Blade of Ruin. Also, if you capture the Battle Std or kill him in combat, the Blessing goes away. Always challenge, his knightly characters must accept or lose the blessing. If he has two damsels in the army Kill them ASAP; losing two damsels also cancels the Blessing. The important thing to remember is this: When charged by Bretonnian knights, the correct answer is almost always, "I flee."

May peace be with you,
Ash
Jpadendorff
Slave on the Altar

Post by Jpadendorff »

Thanks Ash check it out and it helps alot
Poisonblade
Beastmaster

Post by Poisonblade »

Here's a good link: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... 9287eb9b6e

Ignore everything anyone else said and only listen to my advice. I rule. My Bretonnian friend stopped playing me because he couldn't win. Now he plays orcs.
Hate is my weapon.
Jpadendorff
Slave on the Altar

Post by Jpadendorff »

No shooting (prayer cuts it in half)
COK with banner of murder so you can outcharge his knights
Black Guard (maybe the only time they are worth the points)
Spearmen with unbreakable banner, put next to black guard so the guard have a re-roll break test.
Highborn on manticore with Shield of Ghrond and Gauntlet of power
Dark Riders to kill his scouts/fast cav and then rear charge his knights.

?
What about magic or does it not help against Bretonnians?
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

The key to beating the brettonians is that you can keep his lances from charging by using fast cavalry and characters on flying mounts to sit in the "blind spots" of the lance formation. Knights can only charge based on the line of sight of the front model. Chose the one or two most dangerous looking units to block in this fashion, effectively taking them out of the game, and then proceed to kill the rest of his army.

Also, with the exception of Grail Knights, Brettonians are vulnerable to fear and terror due to their relatively low leadership. Cold one knights and chariots are definitely useful in this regard.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Poisonblade
Beastmaster

Post by Poisonblade »

Dyvim Tvar wrote:The key to beating the brettonians is that you can keep his lances from charging by using fast cavalry and characters on flying mounts to sit in the "blind spots" of the lance formation. Knights can only charge based on the line of sight of the front model. Chose the one or two most dangerous looking units to block in this fashion, effectively taking them out of the game, and then proceed to kill the rest of his army.

Also, with the exception of Grail Knights, Brettonians are vulnerable to fear and terror due to their relatively low leadership. Cold one knights and chariots are definitely useful in this regard.

100% correct, but that is a pretty cheap tactic. However, it is very effective. If you want to be a jerk, go for it!

Since all bretonnian armies are very similar, it is pretty easy to tailor an army towards beating them.

I'm not a fan of magic, but if you like it, it could be effective against him, but I've never tried it. Be wary though, Bretonnia has potential to take a lot of dispell scrolls because they can take an additional character.
Hate is my weapon.
Jpadendorff
Slave on the Altar

Post by Jpadendorff »

Thanks Guys

I will let you know how it goes next week, I must admit that as it is my 4th game I am not to confident, but hey we all have to start somewhere.

Cheers
JP
Draenor
Dark Rider

Post by Draenor »

I've tried magic against them.

In the game I played against brettonia, he took a unit of 10 grail knights (as well as MANY other knights :( ). He was boasting to me, saying he had never lost a battle or a grail knight.

I had a Lvl sorceress on a manticore and I circled is grail knights. He was so afraid of being rear charged by my manticore (which probably would have been kicked in CC) that he spun around on the spot for 4 turns !! :lol: I cast Black Horror once and killed all but 2 knights: his general and bsb. Twas a glorious day for the Druchii :twisted:

RBT are really effective too, in the same game I had four shoot at a unit of knights, 2 missed (due to blessing) but 2 hit and flattened the unit.

The trick I suppose is avoid being seen. Stab em in the back.
Draenor
Dark Rider

Post by Draenor »

I've tried magic against them.

In the game I played against brettonia, he took a unit of 10 grail knights (as well as MANY other knights :( ). He was boasting to me, saying he had never lost a battle or a grail knight.

I had a Lvl sorceress on a manticore and I circled is grail knights. He was so afraid of being rear charged by my manticore (which probably would have been kicked in CC) that he spun around on the spot for 4 turns !! :lol: I cast Black Horror once and killed all but 2 knights: his general and bsb. Twas a glorious day for the Druchii :twisted:

RBT are really effective too, in the same game I had four shoot at a unit of knights, 2 missed (due to blessing) but 2 hit and flattened the unit.

The trick I suppose is avoid being seen. Stab em in the back.