Skaven

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Melkor

Skaven

Post by Melkor »

I'm about to battle a Skaven army, but I don't know much about them.
What are our strengths/weaknesses against Skaven ?
What magic list shall I use; Dark, Shadow or Death ?

/Melkor
Anadrael
Corsair

Post by Anadrael »

I think Dark Elves you should all ways DARK MAGICK. if your are luck to get Black Horror or Soul Stealer these spell rock, and against horde army do cause them problems, also Bolt Throwers are good.

Anadrael

... Second Star on the right and straight on til morning....

icon (c)Sarah Mitchell - please don't steal!
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

I hate the Skaven!!!!!

Post by Dark Alliance »

I have a game myself against the Skaven soon ( I hate the Skaven! - they are the one army I always have trouble against :evil: ).

2000pts and in my army I have one unit of 6 harpies & one unit of 6 dark riders, armed with spears & rxb. My Lord is a conversion, mounted on a dark pegasus & equipped with the gauntlet & the sel of ghrond.

My tactics are to advance rapidly using a skirmish screen of harpies / dark riders & rxb in front of my combat units - cold one knights / spearmen & witch elves, supported by a chariot. Advancing primarily down one flank. With bolt thrower cover for good measure.

The ideal result will give me units in combat with flyers behind & my general coming in from the extreme flank.

The cold one knights have a noble battle standard bearer carrying the Hydra Banner.
Hope this helps :roll:
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

The Skaven are miserable opponents. I hate them.

The biggest weakness of the Skaven is their low LD, so exploit it. Fear/Terror them at every opportunity, and don't be afraid to take a flank/rear charge against one of their regiments with a unit of Dark Riders. Even if you only win by one, their LD goes through the floor once they are flanked, and you stand an excellent chance of crushing them.

Your COK's will probably not do as well as they might, given that the Skaven have a lot of armor-piercing weapons, so don't get too frustrated by that.
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
Pokeme
Beastmaster

Post by Pokeme »

And may I add some more things to what the baron says.......

When fighting skaven, you may want to leave out RBTs. They can be easily sabotaged by tunnelling gutter runners. Don't ever underestimate those rat dudes. When you charge the rear of any of your regiments, you're in quite some trouble. Their poison multi attacks and +2 bonus usually breaks the regiment.

One of the most pissing things I seen with skaven was when my oppenent hid his BSB at the back of the regiment..........
I can't counter it still............
Life is like a piece of coco, u never knew who will get you.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I think it all comes down to flanking... if you get a unit into the flank, you will roll over the entire army, otherwise they will do the same to you! :)

Bye
Thanee
horseboy

Post by horseboy »

Also, the new book is written with Skyre as the main clan. Try to take as much anti-magic as you can. The good news is that they're only going to have one spell caster, anyother is just going to shoot magic missiles. Tank up on Sea Dragon Cloaks.

Also remember that they're just as fast as you are and everybit as ruthless.
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Terror can really screw them up bad.

Flank charges to negate their rank (and ld) bonus.

Overall they are a real pain in the ass to fight though.
horseboy

Post by horseboy »

Alright, Watch out for ratling guns. If you plan on taking a large monster, plan on it dying around turn two from heavy jezzail fire. You're going to need more than just 5 dark riders in a unit, and probably more than just one unit of them to get around the swarms, weapon teams and what-not he has guarding his flank. Also remember you don't have your bonus of speed. He's just as fast as you on foot.
Pokeme
Beastmaster

Post by Pokeme »

Frankly speaking, having Sea Dragon's cloak or not makes hardly any difference! Their shots are highly armour piercing.

And Grot is right about terror; use them to scare those jezzails that are usually far away from the warlord!
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Do you have any idea what might be in your opponents army? The reason I ask is coz if you do it would make advising you easier.

Magic wise I think you should use Dark Magic, plan on her dying so get her as close as possible quickly to do the damage before she does. A hydra also works - terror and the breath weapon.

Otherwise just get into hth as soon as you can, in my experience flanking, although the ideal tactic, is easier said than done as most skaven generals know this is their weakness.

Catch him by surprise & go head on as quick as you can.

Jezzails die & then panic & then run easily thanks to RBT. & the warped lightening cannon has to run if you declare a charge.
Legionz
Warrior

Post by Legionz »

the death lore is also nice against skaven, especially if you have the Doom and Darkness spell :D
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Oh yes indeed. I like that one
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

I've had great success against Skaven with a heavy shooting army. lots of rxb and RBTs to chew them up before they get to me. then i charge them and finish them off.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Ewok
Beastmaster

Post by Ewok »

Watch out for ratling guns! aargh!!!
Dagger in the dark is worth thousand swords at dawn
Pokeme
Beastmaster

Post by Pokeme »

I'm freaking pissed off by that Warp lightning cannon!!!!

I can't believe it fried 3 of my Coks and my general along with it!!! ARG!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Ewok
Beastmaster

Post by Ewok »

warplightning cannon is easy to get rid off... charge it with anything with long charge range (harpies,dark riders, pegasus)... it MUST flee and once it starts fleeing it's usually gone for good...
Dagger in the dark is worth thousand swords at dawn
Lord happyslave
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Supporting for Kim Clijsters, world's best tennisplayster

Re: I hate the Skaven!!!!!

Post by Lord happyslave »

Dark Alliance wrote:I have a game myself against the Skaven soon ( I hate the Skaven! - they are the one army I always have trouble against :evil: ).

2000pts and in my army I have one unit of 6 harpies & one unit of 6 dark riders, armed with spears & rxb. My Lord is a conversion, mounted on a dark pegasus & equipped with the gauntlet & the sel of ghrond.

My tactics are to advance rapidly using a skirmish screen of harpies / dark riders & rxb in front of my combat units - cold one knights / spearmen & witch elves, supported by a chariot. Advancing primarily down one flank. With bolt thrower cover for good measure.

The ideal result will give me units in combat with flyers behind & my general coming in from the extreme flank.

The cold one knights have a noble battle standard bearer carrying the Hydra Banner.
Hope this helps :roll:

**************Hihihi, DA, this was your first post?
I must say you've become alot better since then.

And against skaven I would take rxb, played a 500p game against them and I've lost so I think you SHOULND4T take rxb... I'll just beat it now, okay?

hihihi :mrgreen:
Salvation will arrive

on the second of februari

The release of Halo 2
Ranieth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ranieth »

If you rob their rank bonus, they will flee. They get LD from ranks.. Watch out for Tunnelers as they can kill your Reaper Bolt thrower easy.
Skaven_micester
Shade

Post by Skaven_micester »

skaven have fine leader ship if they can keep rank bonus but if u flank them with dark riders with spears they will almost always run no matter what unit it is. watch out for magic its baicaly 85 points for lvl 2 wizard for them. harpies help i can tell u from experience nothing hards than having harpies sitting your rear just fly them other top slow them down, and when it comes time rear charge them rear charge them rear charge them right up there !@#$. now where was i o yes shooting can be good but a smart skaven general hears elf and says slaves you will be lucky to get on round of shooting at his main units but then again u migth get lucky and do a hole lot of damge. coks are defenetly worth every penny yes jezzails can slaughter them but for 20 points they are expensive for skaven too also if your lucky and set up them last, like u shoud, you might keep them from getting shot (cok charge will uselly break the skaven opening flanks). now terror, terror, terror, terror i think you'd be better off with out it skavens generaly not go for it but beast master on manticor wont be horible choice. but don't get hydra it will get eaten alive by ratling guns if your lucky and if your not jezzails. its 12:30 in morning can't think of much... watch out for plauge priests i always like to make unit of 30 give them standard berror with fear banner and give there unit standard berror hatred banner what u get is 3 attack per guy reroal to hit thats 16 attacks no if they win combat at all there going to out number u and break u auto. that can be scary bu they can be really easy to beat just snend dark riders with in there charging range they must charge there for when they do so u just flee setting u up for a nice easy flank charge and a clean victory only catch is if he is smart he will block there line of site but that always gets them stuck so then there less of threat well i could ramble on all night. but main advise is watch out for magic, ratling gun scary but not much u can do there but watch out and pray for miss fire and finally plague priests deadly but easly dispatch by smart general. just get harpies couple units of dark riders some magic coks and maby beast master on maticore just fill the blanks i don't know howmany points your doing. later :twisted: :twisted:
The plague is out there...
The swarm is coming...
And all around is death!
Ismellcheese
Slave on the Altar

Post by Ismellcheese »

I don't understand why so many people hate skaven....they are only rats, the fact that they can out number you 5:1 wouldn't have anything to do with it? :) The secret to beating a skaven army is .......ahh yea, like i'm going to revel that one to you !lol! !lol! !lol!
Surelian
Executioner

Post by Surelian »

yeah, come one reveal it,..we all know its the rules..

dark elves rule
Jeffleong13
Warmaster of Slaanesh

Post by Jeffleong13 »

Ismellcheese wrote:I don't understand why so many people hate skaven....they are only rats, the fact that they can out number you 5:1 wouldn't have anything to do with it? :) The secret to beating a skaven army is .......ahh yea, like i'm going to revel that one to you !lol! !lol! !lol!

Oh come now, Matthew ... all they have to do is kill ***********.

Darn - how did you do that ... nasty Rats are into everything!!!

J
Surelian
Executioner

Post by Surelian »

yeah once a rat gets into something its all over...they multiply like the plague...rats, rats I hate ratsssss
Alith anar
Shadowking

Post by Alith anar »

Ah, ah, elf-things, you are no ...no match for... for the legions! Ah yes, the ...the legions! My pretty ones... legions! The legions! Ah... yes...

Neek-neek ;)
Regards, A.A.

"Epic Krueger the Mousefrightened was a trap, to see whether we'd generalize. Lose faith. Whine. Die inside.

And when the light seemed darkest... we get the visual equivalent of the opening lick from Thunderstruck."