I was massacred again!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Barondesade
Noble

I was massacred again!

Post by Barondesade »

Hello All,

I've lost again, badly, tonight. I've discovered a new kind of army that beats the Maneuver army: the Horde army.

My opponent tonight was a Skaven player of some experience. He had wall-to-wall Skaven, with his Warplock Engineers in the center and his Rat Ogres out on the flanks. He brought the Storm Banner, which grounded my Harpies and my Manticore. He also had an interesting idea. He used blocks of Skaven Slaves in his army as "Panic Cushions." i.e. if panic begins on one area of the Skaven line, it will stop as soon as it hits the Slaves. A smart idea, I must say.

Anyhow, things went pretty pathetically. My Beastmaster on Manticore couldn't even beat his lousy Hero, and was run down because he couldn't fly away. I couldn't beat a unit of Slaves with a front charge by Dark Riders (they were run down), nor could I beat a unit of common Clanrats with a frontal charge by my Mercenary Knights with an assist from Shades in the flank. At the end of turn four, the loss of my Hydra to his Stormvermin regiment caused my Corsairs and Dark Riders to panic, at which time, I surrendered.

Some good things happened, though. My Hydra caused a unit of Giant Rats to run in panic, and a single Harpy ran down the whole regiment (the Storm Banner failed on turn three.) My Chariot crushed a whole unit of Skaven Slaves, but then made up for it by being Stupid for two consecutive turns. Still, although I was not totally annihilated as I was in the first game, I was still very badly beaten.

I will have to retreat and think hard about what I did wong :cry:
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
Adreal_the_immaculate
Assassin

Post by Adreal_the_immaculate »

umm although our skaven enemies play completly differently maybe you should try another trype of army, as you have now experenced if your opponent brings the storm banner your fliers wont work, so the beast master is out, haveing a nobel in your chariot may help with stupidity. As to the slaves I would think he only has 3 each one being a panic cusion as you have stated, this will make attacks easier, your chariot and cold one knights (or merc heavy cav) in the center of the army (fear and you'de be hard pressed to get any flank charges so fear will help) dark riders and corsairs on each of the flanks woth a high kill rate unit to charge the front of the flank units. Hopefully you may come out on top also with magic try a lvl 4 and lvl2 sorceress 's to scare him, he will have to think long and hard about his one spell 8)
its not the lies that you say, but what the silence will scream
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

My next game will be against Skaven (also a player that does seem to know his ways around, have only seen him play once recently, and since I never played against Skaven, I asked him :)). I'm looking forward to see the gigantic hordes of filthy rats! :)

Bye
Thanee
Elvenknight
Elf on the Altar with the Axe

Post by Elvenknight »

"Good luck, you're gonna need it" - Han Solo :D
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie!" untill you can find a big stick.

The Album is here for all your army photos - Album Moderator
Jeremy
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jeremy »

Any chance of posting a battle report????? :D
The only constant in the universe is change, the wise adapt
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

I hardly want to, but I suppose I will.
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Re: I was massacred again!

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

BaronDeSade wrote:I will have to retreat and think hard about what I did wong :cry:

It sounds like part of what you did wrong was roll badly.

It actually sounds like you rolled horribly.

Nothing in the world you can do about that... :(
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

True enough, but on the other hand, I made some bad tactical decisions too. For example, charging the Slaves in the front with my Dark Riders. I should have realized that even against a crap unit like that, even though I had a standard and he didn't, fast cav just can't take a regiment in the front and expect to win. Stuff like that...

Then again, I haven't been playing much lately, so maybe my dice got cold.

Baron DeSade
Ezeraal
Corsair

Post by Ezeraal »

Quick question, did you deploy in one corner of your zone?

I faced a real skaven horde recently (with a VC army), it had three clan rat, three slaves, three plague monks (two with censer units attached), three giant rat units (which are quick suckers). This was nasty, the plague monks are also panic cushions and roughly equal to witch elves in combat (less WS, but T4. Eek). It was impossible to outflank him, but stupidly I deployed a little too central and i was quickly surrounded and butchered.

Other than that, i suppose a 'manoeuvre army' is a lot less equipped than a more 'standard' army to deal with a real horde.
The darkness is here and you will fall...
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

I had all of my cav on one side and all of my infantry on the other. I thought that some of my cav units could take some of his weaker infantry, but what do I know...

Baron DeSade