How much magic in a 2000 point force?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Khori
Trainee Warrior

How much magic in a 2000 point force?

Post by Khori »

Title speaks for itself. How much magic is normally associated with a typical Druchii force? In my army, I have no sorcs and I fear that the army will take a severe thrashing in the magic phase, especially considering my opponent's armies usually cart around 6-10 levels of magic (Skaven and magic-heavy High Elves). Sadly enough, I want to do a Khaine-themed army, so Sorcs are severely out of place in my army. If you want to check out my army list, look under the army list forum. Mine is the army of Chaos Elves. I really want to stick with my theme, but I also don't want to lose half my army on the first turn to Warp Lightning. Help is greatly appreciated.
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

I usually field a high sorceress and sorceress.
But you can play without magic. Get seal of ghrond and get some units to hunt enemy mages (harpies, noble with lifetaker on dark pegasus etc.) and kill them as fast as possible.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

My average magic for 2000 points would be two level 2 Sorceresses, as I tend to use a Highborn as my General.

1 High Sorceress and 1 Sorceress, or only 1 Sorceress (scroll caddy, but often level 2) are also quite common options.

I think those are the most viable choices, still leaving enough room for decent fighting characters.

Bye
Thanee
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

I would average a level 2 sorceress, but often I have taken none at all... in fact I've never lost when I've not taken a sorceress. Perhaps this is because I've got extra points to spend on troops... perhaps I just suck at using magic.

I'd just take as much as what suits the theme of the army.

Good Luck
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe
Fallen angel
Cold One Knight

Post by Fallen angel »

Although I rarely play above 2000 points, I once proxied Morathi in 3000 pts along with 2 lvl 2s (10 power dice). That was a good game (not mainly because 3 Cold One Knight broke a 25 strong unit of Big'uns including Black Orc Warlord, but that's a different story).

Personally, I think magic is game winning. Wouldn't it be useful for those Chaos Knights not to charge next turn ? Dominion! Hmmm.... 40 Night Goblins running at me? Soul Stealer! 20 Ironbreakers in the way? Balck Horror!

The only thing with magic is that you need to kill enemy magic users. with only 2 dispel dice your opponent will die mightily quick....

Fallen Angel
Play DnD in the Firgotten Realms setting? Have a look at my quick narrative..... http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=21330
Dantrag
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dantrag »

1 level 4 sorcorer is all i use in 2000pts. With the dark star cloak and seal of ghrond i have 5 dispel and 7 power dice which is ample
Life is Pain, Pain is Good - Life is Good

Dantrag Banrae
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I take a level one with two scrolls & I give the seal to another character. As I try to get into combat relatively early on this generally is sufficient
Oguleth
Trainee Warrior

Post by Oguleth »

Normally I tend to go for four levels of magic in the average 2k game; if COK light I go for High Sorc and two nobles; if COK heavy I go for a Highborn and two lvl 2 sorcs...

As of late I`m in need for more speed, and are thinking about leaving the Draza with just a caddie with two scrolls, and take a Noble with the Seal, and go real fast to hunt down the enemy wizards... Perhaps even take just the caddie and the Highborn... That`s a unit of Dark Riders instead of a single model...
Scournful, relentless memory
Ripped of all but drive
Undressed by betrayal
Zero tolerance for the Souldead
Wish I was violence,
inflicted upon you

Satyricon - Fuel for Hatred
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by The word of pain »

I use either:

lvl2, horse & darkstar cloak 162 points.
Lvl2, horse, Tome of furion & seal of Ghrond 182 points.
Total 350 points, 7 casting dice & 5 Dispel dice.

or

Lvl4, Claok 275 points.
Lvl2, horse & Tome of furion 157 points.
Total 432 points, 9 casting dice & 5 Dispel dice.

I've used both these options and they both provide reasonable magic defence, but impressive magic attack (version 1 less so. but when added to a general with the gauntlet of Power, then it's still pretty impressive)
The Word of Pain

Most heard comment at UK GT...
"Please, not Wood Elves again..."
Anadrael
Corsair

Post by Anadrael »

I have not tried a scroll caddy does it work? and with what sort of army?

Anadrael

... Second Star on the right and straight on til morning....

icon (c)Sarah Mitchell - please don't steal!
Lord happyslave
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Supporting for Kim Clijsters, world's best tennisplayster

Post by Lord happyslave »

Now, I love magic really bad, and I tend to go for it totally, not taking any other characters, but mages!
In my 2,000 point army, I have Morathi, and 3 (!) lvl 2 mages, one with the Dark staff and the Darkstarcloack, one with 2 Powerstones, and one with a powerstone and the Soulstone. I know, that's almost 1,000 points worth of magis in a 2,000 point army, but it fares reasonable well (if you're lucky with the spellchoises, and the opponent! I practicly always play against Dwarfs, or non-manoevarable army's!) :) :D
Salvation will arrive

on the second of februari

The release of Halo 2
Lord happyslave
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Supporting for Kim Clijsters, world's best tennisplayster

Post by Lord happyslave »

Oh yeah, I forgot: all my mages R mounted on dark steeds! :D
Salvation will arrive

on the second of februari

The release of Halo 2
Gridion
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Gridion »

My "all-comers, standard army" uses the following:

High Lady Ellyendil (High Sorceress; 348)
lvl 4, Dark Steed,
Lifetaker, Darkstar Cloak, Power Stone

Sheryndra (Sorceress; 180)
lvl 2
Seal of Ghrond, Dispell Scroll

9 power dice (plus a power stone)
6 dispell dice

Generally speaking, I own the magic phase against anything but Tzeentch (and one annoying goblin army) and tend to pull at least one Black Horror and at least one Soul Stealer.

The few times I have run w/out magic I have been very disappointed. In my opinion, Dark Magic is simply too good offensively to pass up, even against Khorne and Dwarves.
I am not arrogant,
I just have a poor sense of humility.