68%
no
32%

Total votes: 34

Endian
Grand Master of the Black Guard

Cold one chariots???

Post by Endian »

Could somebody please tell me what is so good about cold one chariots?

They can only move 7" a turn cos chariots cant march making them slower than my spearmen and they go even slower than my crossbowmen if they fail their stupidity test.

Yeah, they cause fear but unlike the COK they never have high enough unit strength to autobreak the enemy!!

Please tell me why they are so good!!! (just dont flame or bash me if i got a rule wrong cos we all do it!)
Only left handed ppl are in their right minds!
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

I sometimes take a COC. They can give you the extra wounds you need to win a combat. You can support a regiment spearmen with them, cause they have a greater charge move. With this they can charge at the same time as your spearmen.
You could also get 2 COC supporting eachother. Just make sure you've got them near your general, cause with Ld8 they will fail to much stupidity teste.

Bye
Lord Thalack
Oguleth
Trainee Warrior

Post by Oguleth »

They are a good support unit... Fear isn`t all that, but if you keep them in between infantry units, and slightly behind, it`s nearly impossible to charge them, and it`s about only skirmishers that can do that then, and then they have to take a fear test... Making them a bit more protected from that weakness.. It`s not much for the points you pay for them though.
Scournful, relentless memory
Ripped of all but drive
Undressed by betrayal
Zero tolerance for the Souldead
Wish I was violence,
inflicted upon you

Satyricon - Fuel for Hatred
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

When a CO Chariot charges into close combat, it causes D6+1 S5 Autohits, plus it has up to four additional S4 attacks. This, for less than what you would pay for 10 DE Warriors with spears. That's awesome. Then, it also had T5 and W4 and a 4+ Save. Again, for DE, that's awesome. Although it does have a slow movement, it still has a 14" charge range. Someone mentioned Skrimishers. It's awesome what happens to a Skirmishing unit when a Chariot hits it; Boom!, and what's left doesn't even have a rank bonus.

That is what is good about the Chariot.
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
Malus01

Post by Malus01 »

chariots can negate ranks if they have a character in it
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

A COC and a unit of executioners, in 2 rounds, reduced a 15 elf unit of white wolves to 3, i had some good rolls but for that alone the COC is good in my book, and they killed 9 of them in the first round!
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

My chariot is one of my favourite converted models, fitting in with the theme of my "Dragon Army". It has been made using left over parts from the Witch King dragon & attracts lots of attention when I field it. That aside, as a combat piece in my army I have a lot of success with it as a support unit alongside any of my combat units.

I find it works well on the flank with the Dark Riders.

Have to watch out for cannons though! Occasionally in larger games I will use two. 2d6 +1 impact hits can very often win a combat for you before anything else comes into it.

keep the faith
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

I've never played with one before, but the I'd probally get the model even is it was as weak as a gobllin! It just looks so cool 8) !
Yeurl
Noble

Post by Yeurl »

It works very good, and most of the time it will pay its points, like any other chariot could do.

I fielded one yesterday, and it cause the loss of a full 10 silverhelms unit and a HE noble, aided by 12 corsairs. Very good option, if you'll stand the occasional stupidity. I did fail the first Ld test in the first turn of the game, but it had not very adverse effects, other than blocking LOS to silverhelms from one of my RBTS, so I was forced to lock on one of the enemy chariots with it.

The COC was well worth his points in this battle, I must say. With a 12 men corsair unit and the odd RBT shooting support, it worked wonders keeping the whole flank safe. Eventually, one HE chariot went through, but my RBT was at the ready ;).

Resume: Very worth taking, not like those COKS...
Watch your steps, my friend, for your way up is almost as fast as your way down, at the whim of the Witch King
Calindor
Executioner

Post by Calindor »

I have not yet bought the charoit but I tihnk it seems to be a great unit. Also I love the model. With support it can really hurt the hateful enemy.
In Lord Malekith we trust!
Binky
High Chief Lord Mod of Funnyness

Post by Binky »

The model is really brilliant...And never underestimate the power of fear

P.S. Oh, I'm afraid that this Death Star is fully operational...
P.S.S. Tyrion isn't that fat Sureal
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Here are my random thoughts on the COC.

If possible, they should be fielded in pairs.

They are very cheap for what they can do. Cheaper than a unit of COK with comparable hitting power. They also allow you to divide up stupidity tests, so you don't "have all your eggs in one basket"

Their impact hits are automatic, unlike COK who must roll against weapon skill.

Their cheap points cost makes them good for tournament comp scores, and also allows for more troops in your army.

They are missle magnets, which again is good because of their cheap cost and resilience (except against cannons).

The winner of the GT in Philly used 2 in his list.

I rarely field COK anymore. I see no point when a pair of COC is cheaper, and in my experience, more effective.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Well, they would be better, if they would not cause fear and suffer from stupidity, but still, they're quite tough and pack a decent punch!

Pretty much all chariots are good, the impact hits are really nasty!

Bye
Thanee
Lord draekor
Shade

Post by Lord draekor »

I've I could get over the "godzilla" look of the new Cold Ones, I'd get some just to vary my army sometimes. Two seem like the minimum to reduce the effect of stupidity.
Lord Draekor
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

I like the way the new Cold Ones look. Not sure why so many don't.
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

i like them too, will the lizardmen ones look the same?
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
Malus01

Post by Malus01 »

the Lizardmen CO will probably be the same but it is said that they are suppse to have a really big CO called a Carnasaur or something like that (I just can't wait till I start this army up again)
Ruerl khan
Corsair
Location: Isha's Torment, somewhere in the world raiding (Denmark)

Post by Ruerl khan »

well I for one don't use chariots, and have never done so, the reason is that:
they can't march,
mover slower than my corsairs, (imho the DE army are all abouth speed)
are stupid,
and that you can't take 2 for 1 special choice (thats one of the things i'd like to change in the DE book) all my usefull themed units seem to be in the special section and I for one would rather have that unit of COK than an chariot.

This being said I have 10 COK and not one chariot, so there is an reason for me using knights (that and the fact that I have the old COK not the new "godzilla" looking lizards).

Anyway I would imagine that an chariot with an noble with an two handed weapon could be rather devasting.

/Ruerl Khan
Burn Ulthuan
Endian
Grand Master of the Black Guard

Post by Endian »

at last someone who agrees with what i am saying!!!

I thought i was the only one!! lol :D
Only left handed ppl are in their right minds!
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

What's wrong with "Godzilla" looking Cold Ones?

Godzilla was one bad mutha. :P
Veldrin

Post by Veldrin »

Nothing, I like the cold ones.

Mostly I play against woodelves and COC's are one of the few DE units that can survive their shooting. And as said before they do a lot of damage against their skirmish units.