So do you play your druchii offensive or defensive?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Do you play your druchii offensive or defensive?

Offensive
83%
Defensive
17%

Total votes: 81

Dragon9
Assassin

So do you play your druchii offensive or defensive?

Post by Dragon9 »

I was wondering. I see a lot of people talk about the druchii being an offensive army. I play them defensively personally. My (currently only) army list consists of a High Sorceress, an Assassin, a Noble on Dark Steed, 2 16 man units of crossbows deployed 10 across, a unit of 16 spearmen, a unit of 5 Dark Riders, a unit of 15 Witch Elves, a Unit of 10 Shades and a RBT. I have had very good success with this army as I stand and shoot at the enemy, letting them come to me, engaging in hth when I've softened them up.

Just looking for how others play their armies.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

Always offensive :) Most of the times with a unit corsairs, 2 units dark riders, a unit shades, some harpies, a high sorceress, sorceress, noble and some other stuff

Bye
Lord Thalack
Quasekomiki
Highborn

Post by Quasekomiki »

Actually, a bit of both...

At first I sit back, letting the enemy have a taste of my accuracy in aiming...

Then, when he comes dangerously close to my troops, my flying lure is thrown out (usually 10 Warriors with rxb's or Dark Riders). When these flee from the charge, he's gonna have a problem with the charge he's gonna receive.

Then it's mopping up the rest of the army (if the above worked that is).
If you must choose between two evils,
pick the one you've never tried before
horseboy

Well

Post by horseboy »

I just had my first battle with my army I've been painting for the last year and a half. I got plastered by chaos knights in round two, loosing 9 spearmen in one hit
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

Although I voted offensive I only did so because I probably play it "slightly" more than defensive. I play both depending on what theme I choose for each game.
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Only 9 Spearmen? I've seen worse - they obviously weren't chosen Knights. I've had my Chosen Knights of Khorne (I played a game with my Khorne army recently) charge into a unit of Corsairs and kill ALL of them (I kid you not - with three S5 attacks each and 5 of these attacks total, it's not so surprising). All 12 died, and I was a happy bugger.
Goodbye.
Quasekomiki
Highborn

Post by Quasekomiki »

Lesson to be learned : with Druchii you refuse every combat of which you think you might loose it.

If I see 5 Chosen Knights of Khorne thundering towards my unit of 12 (or even 20) Corsairs, I run...
If you must choose between two evils,
pick the one you've never tried before
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

I voted 'offensive'.

This does not mean that I will try to get into close combat as fast as possible though, but I always do the charging. I consider counter attack offensive too, it's just smarter too soften the enemy up before you chop the remains to pieces.

I must admit that I seldom use crossbowelves, as in my experience they are overcosted. RBT can work miracles though, and I never leave home without two of those! Magic helps out a lot too, especially dominion, and sometimes the 'deny shooting' effect from chillwind.

-Metallurgist
Dargo
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dargo »

I seem to get more and more towards 'offensive' - even closer to that 'Watchtower Patrol' -list. You'll just have to CHARGE, not to wait to be charged by the enemy. There aren't so many 'tarpit'-units in our army, you know, so counter-attacking is a bit risky.

You just have to see the look on a Grey Seer's face when his so called 'fast' troops are charged by your Druchii on the turn two!

I've tried the infantry-heavy -army too, but to achieve the ultimate moment of an attacker - a simultaneous charge from the front/flank/back - you almost have to use the cavalry. I do like to field two reapers occasionally, especially against chaos, but I can live without them.
Fallen angel
Cold One Knight

Post by Fallen angel »

Always offesnive. Us Druchii pay for our M5, and I intend to use it! Plus I don't think I could play an army that doesn't move in it's own phase. I far too much love Cold One Knights and flanks having a brief and productive discussion :twisted:

Fallen Angel
Play DnD in the Firgotten Realms setting? Have a look at my quick narrative..... http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=21330
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Only Offensive! My usual army contains 4x5 Dark riders, some knights, 2 chariots, Dragon and depending on enemy 2 sorceresses or 2 nobles on pegasi. I tried to play defensively but we're NOT dwarves! we can't stand a charge with our shooting units (unless really lucky)
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

yes, if i were to see a unit of chosen chaos nights of khorne looking menicingly at a unit of anything, i couldn't help seeing an arcraft carrier steaming at a dingy, your not going to win unless really lucky

anywho, i think i play a bit of both. I don't intend on taking any charges, but i sit my RXB's and RBT's on a hill with a unit of spearmen to babysit them and steamroll down one flank with a chariot and 20 executioners w/ an assassin, it usually works pretty well
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
Mordkar

Post by Mordkar »

Offensively, but only because most people seem to think that Defensive tactics entails letting your units be charged;

I sit and wait for the enemy to come to me so that I can dictate how and when any charges take place. I habitually take three(sometimes four) units of Dark Riders to make sure that the enemy can't maneuver into the positions that she'd like to. This ensures that my magical supremacy has plenty of time to assert itself by slowly disintigrating enemy units :)

But whatever :)
Seraphon
Slave on the Altar

Post by Seraphon »

I voted offensive, although I play a bit of both.
I usually use crossbowmen along with RBTs and then when the opponent charges them I charge his flanks with my dark riders (and if I'm lucky) cold one knights.
Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and the world will consider you a high elf.
Pokeme
Beastmaster

Post by Pokeme »

Right now, I play offensive. But looking at DE's firepower which is quite decent, I may want to try out defensive strategies this week. 8)
Life is like a piece of coco, u never knew who will get you.
Dungeon_god
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dungeon_god »

PokeMe-I wouldn't do it against a higher toughness army-I didn't fare to well when I tried. :(
Well, time WOULD be nice...
And, Storm of Chaos is here. Are you ready?
Varanos
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Varanos »

I also voted Offensive but tend to play defensive at times,but only when it comes to movement.If i know i dont have the distance to charge ill stay In range enough where i know i wont be able to be charged and where i know i can charge on my next turn.i tend to use the first couple of turns to set up charges from front & flank.I have had good success with that.
Denthor
Assassin

Post by Denthor »

I play defensivly with tons of cross bow men and four repeater bolt throweres. I also take alot of magic but because of my bad dice rolling it does not matter how many shots i get i still only ever kill a few men before i get it to combat.
The Plague of Nurgle Is Here Resistance Is Futile
Tacklbry
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tacklbry »

I would always rather attack than defend. We move fast and are not too tough. It is necessary to bring the fight to the enemy and hold the initiative.
I like dwarfs, their skin makes fine boots. :twisted:
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Metallurgist wrote:I must admit that I seldom use crossbowelves, as in my experience they are overcosted.

Do you feel that way even now with the 7pt Warriors? At 9pts, they were definately overcosted, but now I think they are worth their points easily.

BTW, its awesome to see you back here. I haven't seen you in ages.
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Kondheron
Highborn

Post by Kondheron »

Always offensive. Although I tend to be a bit careful when i see a unit of Night Goblins.
"I call the legs!"
"Unfair!"
"Shut up, lets just kill them!"
"But I want the legs too!"
"Aargh, why was I born with you?"
--A squabbling hydra.
Kensei
Dark Rider

Post by Kensei »

Well, although our Druchii arrogance tends to dictate the course of the battle, still I think the playing style quite depends on the opponent. Still there is filthy barbarians with longer range and sinfully overpowered good mages that can hit anywhere on the battlefield.....
Seraphlaw
Druchii Archangel

Post by Seraphlaw »

i would like the third option of counter offensive =)
Seraphlaw

"HA! What damage can a DRUCHII do?" - Famous Last Words
Multani
Shade

Post by Multani »

Greetings!

I always play offensive!

Why? Because of Movement 5 and Toughness 3. ;)

You should attack quickly (and you can with movement 5 infantry and movement 7 or 9 cavalry) and because of that avoid enemy missile fire (which is unpleasant with toughness 3). Especially witch elves aren't fans of defensive playing style, I would guess. ;)
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

I play more balanced, with a heavy leening towards offensive. I think the balance is more than necessary since even comboing and flanking, there are just certain unit I don't ever want to fight (Ironbreakers, Slayers, Chosen Warriors of Khorne w/ 2 Hand Weapons, you get the idea).
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…