Corsairs or Warriors?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Gaz taylor
Dark Rider

Corsairs or Warriors?

Post by Gaz taylor »

Whilst trying to get motivated to paint up some Dark Elves, I've come to the problem of deciding what my main core infantry units will be, and have got the choise of warriors or corsairs. I'm thinking corsairs at the moment as they look good and gamewise they seem a better deal than warriors (especially for an offensive army I plan on doing!), but warriors have the advantage of being cheaper to buy!

Also what's the best size to aim for a unit of warriors of corsairs? I imagine 16 for 1k to 1.5k games and 20 to 25 for 2k+ games.
Yeurl
Noble

Post by Yeurl »

I usually field one 12 men corsair unit, one 15 men spearmen unit and two 10-men crossbowmen units in 1500-2000 points battles.

I think I would go for plastics first; you can convert them to corsairs this way:

16 spearmen make up for 8 two handed corsairs, and you can use the other 8 as crossbowmen. If you buy 2 boxes, you can have one unit of 16 corsairs, and one unit of 16 crossbowmen, which you can break up in 10 crossbowmen and 6 shades. All for just two boxes.

When you have a big enough core army done, then I'd go for the real models, if I feel like I really need them. :)
Watch your steps, my friend, for your way up is almost as fast as your way down, at the whim of the Witch King
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

I usually have a unit of 20 corsairs, mostly because they are better on the offense and the look much better then spearmen.

Bye
Lord Thalack
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

Corsairs or warriors? This boils down to how much you're willing to spend, and how much variety you want in your army, as corsairs are always a better deal, even defensively.

I play them both, simply to keep my list interesting. It's not very exciting to just have 2-3 units of corsairs...

As to the number of troopers: I've been having a lot of success lately with units if 18, 6 wide and 3 deep. This way, the units are smaller (and cheaper), and they perform in the majority of cases equally well as larger units. This because a DE player has to make sure he'll win his combat, and so almost never engages the enemy one on one. With two against one, you'll outnumber anyway, and if you can get a flank it's practically an autobreak.

In the same spirit, I use units of 12 witches & executioners (6 wide, 2 deep), thus keeping the points low while the performance is not that much lower. The smaller units are more vulnerable to shooting, but you've got more of them, so they are closer to expendable - which no elven unit ever truly is.

-Metallurgist
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Never used Spearmen, I always use Corsairs, as they are better and I like their looks. In a bigger list with more infantry (I usually only have 1-2 units of infantry), I'd also use some Spearmen for diversity.

I use my Corsairs in a 20 strong formation, usually 5 wide and 4 deep, but recently I'm switching it to 4 wide and 5 deep, when playing against armies with above average shooting. That's also the formation I'd use Spearmen in.

If money does matter for you, I'd go for Spearmen, they are not that much weaker than Corsairs and being roughly ½ of the price... ;)

Bye
Thanee
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

Metallurgist wrote:Corsairs or warriors? This boils down to how much you're willing to spend, and how much variety you want in your army, as corsairs are always a better deal, even defensively.

Actually, spearelves are a touch better on the defence, as the only one attack for each model that dies, oposed to the two with corsairs.
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

yep, spearmen are defenitely better when taking a charge than corsairs.

Bye
Lord Thalack
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

Hurray!!!
I got someting right!
8) :D 8)
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

:D
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

!!!!!

Lord Thalack, you missed out a very important part of you post (feel free to edit it to make me look like a fool ;) )

Bye
Sureal
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

I like the warriors. why?
1) youll understand when you'll start painting.
2) you can make a garrison list with them.
4) corsair's are good, but remember some time's you get charged, and it feel's goood when it's warriors.( at least for me they alllway's get the job done)

why corsair's
1) they have an awsome champion.
2) their good.
Also known as Kanadian
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

You like corsairs because they're good :? ?
I thought you were saying why they wre good...

1.) Sea dragon cloak, nice AS vs shooting.
2.) Two hand weapons means if you are reduced to less than 10 models you still get 10 attacks.
3.) They look down right cool.
4.) The option to take a magic banner.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

well I had to add some thing I couldn't just leave with one point,
just cant think of anything.
I had to take a break from a 4034 point game which I was winning, and now have to wait untill tommorow to finish, the worst thing is that my General is probably going to die if my CoK dont pass their stupidaty test. Do you have any Idea how stresfull that is. Especialy after 2 turns that he was pownded on, his manticor is down to 1 wound, and he's got 2 left, after a lance just came in to his flank, and he's already fighting a Bretonian general on a hipogrif ( I have the Executioner's axe so I strike last, and it's Dramatic I dont have ward saves and only blood armour) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa............... :x :x :x :x :x
Also known as Kanadian
Gaz taylor
Dark Rider

Post by Gaz taylor »

Cheers for the replys folks! I think I may go for warriors as they are cheap to buy but also because I think I may use the City Guard list from time to time.

Besides I also want to try and redo my Slaaneshi Chaos list with new warriors and I may go retro and use the old metal chaos warrior models! I don't think I could afford that AND units of corsairs!!!
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

Sureal wrote:Actually, spearelves are a touch better on the defence, as the only one attack for each model that dies, oposed to the two with corsairs.

That is true, admittedly.

Although, I'm smartass enough to have to add that corsairs also have a better save against shooting...

-Metallurgist
Jvzer0
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jvzer0 »

I'd probably go with Corsairs, but, then again, I've been saving up money for a new computer only to have my grandma basically buy it for me, so I have a large wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket :D :D :D
"Before you make fun of someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you make fun of them, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes."
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

dam some people are lucky, when I had a load of cash I got a speeding ticket and had to lend some money just to pay it off :x .
Also known as Kanadian
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Ouch!

Bye
Thanee
Gaz taylor
Dark Rider

Post by Gaz taylor »

yes ouch! But then again I could probably beat that with having to pay for a MOT, Road Tax and Insurance all in one go!
Dragnipur
Cold One Knight

Spearmen.

Post by Dragnipur »

Since money is my biggest limitation in the hobby, it's spearmen for me. They are not bad, and you can position the models in a way that makes the regiment look dynamic.
Khaela Mensha Khaine
Sortelveren
Dark Emissary

corsairs

Post by Sortelveren »

i think that the answer is simple: corsairs!
they cost the same as as warriors with a shields, have the same As in cc, have a better AS against ranged attacks, have 2 attacks and can choose between 2 banners, which are crap, but still they can choose to have one...
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Not even You!!

Hilsen Sortelveren
www.hardwareHQ.dk
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

actually they can chose bettween 3 banners, don't forget the war banner.

But I disagree, they are quite good, cheep and the effect is rather suprising, especialy if your CoK with the BSB and hydra banner get a additional d6 to charge, and suddenly they don't fail the charge. same is with the d3 to combat result, it's the little thing's that break opponent's in a even battle. ( you out number him 3 : 1 )
Also known as Kanadian
Elvenknight
Elf on the Altar with the Axe

Post by Elvenknight »

Well in my 2000 point army I'm using 21 corsairs and 21 Warriors. The set up (for the front of my army) will be Chariot, Corsairs, War Hydra, Warriors, Exe's. The corsairs will block some missile weapons from hitting the chariot and WH. The warriors will be placed in a charagable position allowing the Exe's to charge next turn. Hopefully :D
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie!" untill you can find a big stick.

The Album is here for all your army photos - Album Moderator
Legionz
Warrior

Post by Legionz »

the corsairs can't block missiles for the hydra, because the hydra is a large target
Crimsondeath
Cold One Knight

Post by Crimsondeath »

This has been pretty much beaten to death, and it's generally agreed that Corsairs are superior to Spearmen.

Of course, if you are going for a particular theme, or can't afford the $$$, then Spearmen aren't a bad choice.
There's nothing to see here. Move along.