Furion: A New Druchii Special Character

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Furion: A New Druchii Special Character

Post by Langmann »

Furion is one of the earliest practitioners of Dark Magic besides Morathi, and was there at the sundering from whence the rocky crags that exist as Black Arcs were created. His deep knowledge of Dark Magic enabled Malekith to complete the rescue of the druchii from their watery fate.
Furion is ancient, even by elven standards, and years have taken their toll on his slender frame which has become ever more frail but Furion is anything but fragile. A pragmatic survivor, he has managed to hold onto his status in the Convent of Dark Sorcery while other male sorcerers have long since been evicted.
It is firmly believed by many that Furion has the ear of Malekith and thus he is tolerated and often ignored by many of the High Sorceresses of the Convent, something which Furion does not seem to mind and he rarely visits the Convent, called there only upon times of great need as the Dark Sorceresses have grudgingly accepted that he is possibly as powerful as Morathi herself. It is indeed suspected that while Morathi may have an almost omnipotent ability in Dark Magic, Furion is the expert in the creation, collection, and design of the arcane artifacts that permeate druchii life.
Furion’s ancestral history is unknown, but he is the last of his family line having slain his twin daughters with his own hands. Even the mother of his daughters is unknown as he appeared bearing the children in his arms and his claims of fatherhood were hardly contested.
S’Tarra and V’Ellethra though twins, differed in many ways. S’Tarra grew to be as introverted as she was an exceptional sorceress. She became a member of the Convent at the early age of fifty years and was a High Sorceress by her first century, a feat unheard of in the realm of Naggaroth. A great crafter of magic items, she was also a crafty conspirator and in a vain attempt to win power in the Convent she became the lover of Gilhel, Commander of Furion’s Personal Forces at a time when Furion was involved in the Reclaimation. S’Tarra also became at this time involved in the Hag Cult of Khaine and was attempting to raise daemons in Naggarond and bind them to her will, an act of magic expressly forbidden by Druchii law. Furion, ever the expert crafter, discovered the plot and murdered S’Tarra and Gilhel in a ritual that involved the banishment of both their souls to eternal hell, a place in Furion’s consideration suitable to unite them forever in their unholy love.
V’Ellethra was of exceptional beauty, and entered the Temple of Khaine at infancy. For a time it appeared that she was being bred to become an assassin as she survived the immersion in the Cauldron having been placed there by Hellebron under the watchful eyes of Furion. She did become a fearless leader of Khaine’s brides, a witch elf hag. It also appeared that she was bred to become a spy for Morathi, and a possible replacement for Hellebron should it ever become necessary to overthrow the Hag Queen. It is unclear at what point V’Ellethra had the epiphany that changed her life, but she caused a rift in the Temple of Khaine and almost destroyed the Temple when she established the Hag Cult of Khaine under her guise as the prophetess: the Bleak Hag. From her lips came what many consider the very words of Khelsa Mensha Khaine, a prophesy of endless war and a final doom of all the elven races, a wandering until their final extinction. “It shall come to pass that we shall wander amongst the starry sky upon the trails of the breath of the death of Khaine until we pass as He has into the forgotten.”
The Hag Cult called for a rejuvenation of the Temple of Khaine, a stricter and more conservative worship of Khaine in an effort to reestablish what they considered was a dying relationship between the Druchii and their God.
It is not known what spurred Furion on to do battle against the Hag Cult, and it is possible that he was bidden to do so by Malekith. It is known that he threw down Nagrak, the Hag Cult’s powerful Sorcerer, and his dark unicorn mount in a bloody battle in the skies above Naggarond. Some powerful magic of Khaine enabled Furion to stride unharmed against the ferocious blades of the witch elves of the Hag Cult, until V’Ellethra was found lying incapacitated and incoherent deep within the Bleak Temple. Furion slit her throat with his own dagger and she died silently without prophecy.
After this time Furion became much more solitary and left his commandment of Druchii forces and instead occupied his remaining time with the study of history and in particular the Dead Isle.
The rumours exist of the origins of Furion’s twin daughters, and some elves claim to have knowledge of their possible mother being Morathi who has been without child since Malekith. Those rumours are unsubstantiated and many of the claimants have disappeared.

Furion the Crafter (630)

Mv\WS\BS\St\To\Wo\In\At\Ld\Sv\Ws\
5\ 4\ 4\ 3\ 3\ 3\ 5\ 1\ 9\6+\5+\

Furion is a level 4 sorceror (295) and counts as both a lord and a hero choice. Furion adds a +2 instead of the normal Dark Elf sorceror +1 to all spells cast and must use Dark Magic only.

He rides the king of the dark steeds (65), Jesuiviel.
Mv\WS\BS\St\To\Wo\In\At\Ld\
9\ 3\ 0\ 3\ 3\ 1\ 4\ 1\ 5\

Jesuiviel has an ability to walk upon the insubstantial forms of the shadows themselves, and thus can make a soaring flight as a movement action. (fly).

Furion has the following items:

Spine of Nagrak (50) *
Robes of Dark Iron (35) *
Tome of Furion (15) *.
Staff of Slavery (45) *
Hand of S’Tarra (75) *
Daughters of the Soul (50) *

* no other character can use this item.

Spine of Nagrak: is a sword with a pommel fashioned from the spine of Nagrak, sorceror of the Bleak Hag, and a blade made of the twisted horn of his dark unicorn. Deep is the evil contained in the merging of the two horrors, its dreaded touch a taste of the daemonic under-world.
The sword adds 1 attack and any unit hit by the sword must make a leadership test or immediately break from combat regardless of combat resolution.

Robes of Dark Iron: these robes are fashioned from the woven slivers of an iron meteor within which contained a core of an unusual metallic attractive force.
The wearer is immune to High and Light magic and in addition is granted a 5+ Ward Save.

Tome of Furion: see DE army book.

The Hand of S’Tarra: Fastened to a necklace of simple twine is the embalmed hand of S’Tarra, daughter of Furion. Once a brilliant and powerful sorceress of Dark Magic, S’Tarra was mercilessly slaughtered in a horrifying ritual by her father after he discovered her plot to overthrow him as ruler of the family clan.
The hand allows the sorcerer to cast only Dark Magic spells, anywhere on the battlefield. Line of sight and range restrictions no longer apply. Spells that cannot be cast while in combat such as magic missiles, or spells that cannot be cast on units while the unit is in combat must still follow those rules and restrictions. Enemy characters on foot cannot be targeted unless more than 5” from any enemy unit. Declare first that you are going to use the hand before you cast a spell, and each time the hand is used, the wearer must roll a D6. On a roll of 2 or more, a single finger may or may not fall from the hand, releasing some of its power. On a roll of a 1, the hand disintegrates, and returns to the dust from which it came. Thus it is forever more useless. (It is not necessary to use the hand if you do not need to).

Staff of Slavery: Bound within the core of this oaken staff is a spell of the darkest magic. This item is the complete life work of S’Tarra herself, an accumulation of over 500 years and indeed contains leeched within it a portion of her very life-blood.
Bound Spell. Power Level 4. The Staff may cast its Bound Spell once per Magic phase like an ordinary spell. The spell requires no Power dice to cast, all the power required is provided by the staff itself. The Staff of Slavery contains the Dominion spell described in the Dark Magic spells on page 17. Each time the spell is dispelled, roll a D6. On a roll of 1, the power of the Staff has been exhausted and it may not be used for the rest of the battle.

Daughters of the Soul: Bound and twisted within the plain stone are the souls of Furion’s twin daughters, the High Sorceress S’Tarra, and the Bleak Hag V’Ellethra, prophetess of the splinter Hag Cult of Khaine. Furion himself traveled to the pits of Hades to bind the souls of his daughters, slain by his own hands, into servitude.
The sorcerer bearing this item may choose to ignore the effects of two miscasts, as each soul is sacrificed in the place of the caster.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Black death
Trainee Warrior

Post by Black death »

This guy sounds really interesting! I may just have to try him out in a game soon.
It was a destructive force in the Middle Ages, and soon again the time will come where Black Death will Awaken!
Shadoer
Dark Rider

Interesting

Post by Shadoer »

Hmm this is a nice special character. Just out of curiosity, did you take your info from a previous edition of the dark elf book? As I noticed the amount of sorcerors are involved and dark elf sorcerors are virtually extinct this edition.
There is no such thing of defeat, just the postponement of victory.
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

very good indeed langmann. did u make it? impressive really. :)
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

Very nice, one thing to mention is that with the hand:

(It is not necessary to use the hand if you do not need to).

It might sound better if you mentioned that you must declare that you are using the hand BEFORE measuring for distance.
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe
Furion
High Sorcerer

Post by Furion »

I approve. Sounds a little costly, but I imagine he's worth the points. Are there any plans in place to slip this to Gav in with some other things?
Putting the FUN back into fundamentalism since 1998
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Thanks guys, I am glad you were interested. I just made him up after thinking about Furion in the army book today, such an interesting character should have a history.

Leithel I see your point about the hand, someone could try and take advantage with the distances. The hand has to be declared to be used before casting the spell.

Furion (same name eh;)) Yeah he's expensive alright. Hopefully powerful though, I should try him out sometime, I don't normally use special characters though. I think it would be the kind of character good in a 3000 pointer and more, because for 2000 points he's either too cheesy or to much a good target.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Murmandamus
Noble

Post by Murmandamus »

he is so cool! It is like DE teclis heh heh heh!
But one thing his sword is too powerfull it means he alone can take almost any regiment in any army i wouldn't allow that. Imagne a unit of hmm
iron breakers with many runes of defence or something like that.
If furion kills the base to base models then he is not only safe but he also
break and run the dwarfes down alone. This is not much real and it is like ane man army which is not good in 6ed.(too cheesy)
Zeth wrote:sorc on a highborn is not a good unit option
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Re: Furion: A New Druchii Special Character

Post by Rork »

langmann wrote:The sword adds 1 attack and any unit hit by the sword must make a leadership test or immediately break from combat regardless of combat resolution.

Wouldn't you say that is a bit good (especially as it only needs a hit), considering that he flies?

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Deamon whisper
The lord of Beasts
Location: Recruting Zombies for my army, wanna join (Ballerup, Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by Deamon whisper »

Yes the sword is powerfull but Furion can only make 2 S3 WS4 attacks and thats not likely to kill anythig with T4 and a 2+ as
The one formarly known as Beastlord Zarycks

From the shaqdows we come,
from the darkness we ermerge
to grant you a fate a thousand time worse
than the peace you'll find in your grave
for i'll raise you to unlife, to be my slave
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Beastlord Zarycks wrote:Yes the sword is powerfull but Furion can only make 2 S3 WS4 attacks and thats not likely to kill anythig with T4 and a 2+ as

That was quick. He only need to hit to (theoretically)break them - he then gets to pursue 3D6" - That is a very effective unit killer.

Probably wants changing to wound rather than hit.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Inquisitor black
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Inquisitor black »

Beastlord Zarycks wrote:
Yes the sword is powerfull but Furion can only make 2 S3 WS4 attacks and thats not likely to kill anythig with T4 and a 2+ as

That was quick. He only need to hit to (theoretically)break them - he then gets to pursue 3D6" - That is a very effective unit killer.

Well, the unit has to pass a LD test first, and if the test is passed, you have a 630 point model with no chance of winning combat. Attacking a full strength unit is risky, and not overpowered IMHO.
Be not afraid of the dark, but of what the dark hides.
Drasanil
Dru Perim

Post by Drasanil »

I believe that Furion should be on foot cause we already have enougth characters on mounts, or at least include the option for him on foot, besides we can already make a good proxy of him using the rules for high sorceresses, but I do like him do you plan on adding him to the GP?
The truth behind the Sundering:
Rork wrote:High Elf: "I'm not fat!"
Dark Elf: "Of course you're not, dear. You've just grown lazy and indolent and wrecked the inheritance for our children!"
High Elf: "I want a divorce."
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

I think the sword is too strong and for the staff of slavery, it should be every time the staff is used roll a dice as opposed to each time that it is dispelled.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bring on the dancing squirrels!

Consolecommunity.com - For all your gaming chat and meet-ups
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Ok. Tell you what, if I ever play against any of you guys you can take a mage on a horse and you can have the spine of nagrak. I'll take my elves. Now you can go and charge my units, cause if you don't break me (and there are extremely good chances that you wouldn't since 50% of your attacks hit and then I pass a leadership test much more often then the chances of you breaking me. Then I kill your mage cause he's an easy target.

I'd never use Furion to try and break units unless I was desperate... and he costs 630 points, not to good to lose that in a game when a rank and file can easily wound him.

In other words the sword is made to make the enemy think twice about attacking Furion... psychological warfare, and if you noticed that is what Furion is about. Because if you really consider the chances of him breaking say a flying strigoi, I'd say Furion is dead meat about 90% of the time.

Anyhow Rork, think about this if you can, imagine instead I gave Furion an item that caused Terror. Now units have to make a leadership test when he charges them or run. Same thing in some ways.

Anyhow Rork, it's what you are good at, attacking the straw man. Instead of a overall outlook at this character you just cheapen everything by attacking one thing. So far Rork, you haven't contributed anything to this site.

This character is not going into the GP he's just my special character and a contribution to druchii net to increase the fluffiness around here.

Furion should be powerful in his own way. When I compare him to the HE special characters I cannot see how he is any stronger, if anything he is weaker then those tyrion and teclis. Other special characters from other armies can whoop his but as easily as he can do them. Think about it, special characters are cheesy anyway.
Z'gahn
The Touch of Death

Post by Z'gahn »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
we of the monthly are making the druchii.net monthly special characters, and the first one we are working on is.. guess who.... Furion! :?
Lord ark'arn
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lord ark'arn »

i think he is too underpriced, if u think about it, if he had every weapon, he should be about 600 points, and i aint gonna go into detail about why he should cost that, but hes better than Morathi
The Council of Lakulei is coming.
We will call out to you and when we do, we shall make the Druchii race thrive once again.
The Council of Lakulei will rule over Naggaroth.
I will be there: Lord Ark’arn, High General commanding the Spirit of Lakulei
Black death
Trainee Warrior

Post by Black death »

I think langmann has though out the rules and point value very well. I like the picture of a powerful wizard on a steed flying around the battle ground!
It was a destructive force in the Middle Ages, and soon again the time will come where Black Death will Awaken!
Lucifer
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lucifer »

I do agree with Rork on one thing, the sword could be better replaced by a terror causing thing, (though i do like the fluff). And perhaps the mount could be replaced by some magic item that gives him flying (like the cloak of the dunes for the Tomb Kings), and maybe it could be what gives him terror. Because, really, do you want to send a 630 point mage into combat anyway?

But still nice work on all the fluff, great character Langman. :D
Lord of Lords! Muahahaha!
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Lord Ark'arn wrote:i think he is too underpriced, if u think about it, if he had every weapon, he should be about 600 points, and i aint gonna go into detail about why he should cost that, but hes better than Morathi

Yep that is what he costs 630 points.
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Lucifer wrote:I do agree with Rork on one thing, the sword could be better replaced by a terror causing thing, (though i do like the fluff). And perhaps the mount could be replaced by some magic item that gives him flying (like the cloak of the dunes for the Tomb Kings), and maybe it could be what gives him terror.

Yep but as you already explained both those items exist in the warhammer game already and are quite ubiquitous. The way I designed him was to make him unique, instead of terror, he causes terror with his sword in a different kind of way. Instead of the common flying cloak, his horse can walk on shadows. You know trying to be original I suppose.

Because, really, do you want to send a 630 point mage into combat anyway?

Exactly. He's not made for combat, he's made to make people think twice about trying to take him out with some flying harpies or whatever...

But still nice work on all the fluff, great character Langman. :D

Thanks for that at least. :)
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Z'gahn wrote::cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
we of the monthly are making the druchii.net monthly special characters, and the first one we are working on is.. guess who.... Furion! :?

Well, you can either:

use this character,
make your own version,
work on another character.

It doesn't bother me really. I'm just writing something for public interest and debate, that is all.
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Hey I think this guy is pretty cool :D , however I personally think that he has too many *high* point magic items, I mean his total is what 270pts of magic items? this would be excellent to use, and would be really fun, but even so I think many opponents would be dubious if u used him :? . However I can also see the downside to him too, he can VERY easily be taken out, what with him only being T3 with a 5+ ward save and a 6+ armour save, the only thing that would really help would be that he has 3 wounds. But overall I think it would be awesome to try him out 8) . I mean after all I have a score to settle against a certain three characters: Tyrion, Teclis and Archaon...:twisted:
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

langmann wrote:Anyhow Rork, it's what you are good at, attacking the straw man. Instead of a overall outlook at this character you just cheapen everything by attacking one thing. So far Rork, you haven't contributed anything to this site.

OK, lets broaden this out a bit, shall we? How would you break this guy in rules terms? Firstly, having a unit of dark riders tagging along would remove enemy ranks, boosting the sword - potentially making them take the *break* test with modifiers.

Secondly with five spells, you can really boost his potential. With dark magic, you will be able to cast WoP (thanks to the hand) on the unit he charges with a high power level, making him more likely to hit, and with a unit of DR, making them better and more resilient.

Or, with Death magic, there is a very good chance of getting doom and darkness.

Of course, he also will cause extra panic tests in the enemy army due to that unit fleeing.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Just a small point - his sword is better than terror (in some ways), as he will get to pursue, which is quite an impressive movement for a single turn...

+++ Team Mulligans +++