Troubles with orcs

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Draekn
Executioner

Troubles with orcs

Post by Draekn »

I'm having problems fighting orcs, since their sheer numbers flood my de and end up slautering my army, any help? I have never won in a battle vs them
Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

http://bloth.proboards24.com/index.cgi is me website of chaos worship (as in, chaos not DE)
Plaguescythe
Noble

Post by Plaguescythe »

i played them alot alittle whill back and found common knoledge on how to cruch them
1 cok can break olmost anything plus fear is nice
2 rbt can slaughter in mass numbers
3making one gobbo unit run can make tones of gobbo units run
4 o&g unreliable do to animosity, so dont worry about "master plans"
5 terror works numbers on them
6 rock labba and doom diver are not good for you so getem with harpies and shades
7 low armour so just put in wounds with anything u can uand ull kill em
8 if worse comes to worse: get a blck dragon and screw em over by just slaughtering everything
hope this helps.
ps black orcs = vs. warriors ouch! :oops:
Chosen Warlord Of Nurgle
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

easy, take 2-3 RBT, shoot a big ork mob, hoping they fail thir ld test and run taking another 2-3 units with them :twisted: :D

Comrade Igor
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Beastlord soulfern
Slave on the Altar

Post by Beastlord soulfern »

I have never been defeated by orc and goblin player and here is my secret:
1:kill the giant,throw everything at him,he dies quicly
2.spread him up,all across the table,your army is faster,he cannot react so quick...
3:In deployment,place your dark riders direcly across his warmachines.I do this for two reasons,first is to neutralise potentional threat to my heavy troops,
and second:after DR kill their warmachines,they can threaten enemies rear and stop his march moves
4.get a nice and small unit of 5 harpies,use the to lure fanatics
5.do not waste your shooting on infrantry,shoot first at his fastest units(Chairots and all kinds and boar boys,wolof riders...)
6.boar boys:divert them with DR and slow them down
7.cast black horror in the middle of two regiments,(preferably goblins),now he will have to take two panic tests :evil:
"Mind is a terrible thing to be wasted"
Kheinach
Warrior

Post by Kheinach »

Try misdirecting him in deployment. If you take 3 units of dark riders w/out command, but give them rxb to deal with war machines, lone characters and to generally add to their annoyance value. place the DR first, one unit at either end of the table, as far apart as they can get. This way your opponant won't know where your main deployment is going to be and he will be forced to either react to your deployment, or ignore the DR entirely.

If he places his units to oppose one unit of DR, place the third unit there as well, to convince him he's chosen the correct flank to defend, and also make him commit another unit, then simply deploy the rest of your army away from this flank and move the DR units away from this side on the first turn, refusing the flank. This will leave at least two of his units out of position and force him to attack in waves, alowing you to crush each wave as it breaks and redeploy for the next one.

If the player is more experienced he will ignore your flanking DR units and deploy in the centre of the board. This also works to your advantage as even a goblin horde will be unable to cover the whole board and there will inevitably be gaps for the DR's to get around the flanks. Once behind the enemy army you will be able to take out war machines at your leisure and set up nasty rear charges. The Orcs might outnumber you, but most of the time they will be relying on rank bonuses. With a rear charge you will not only negate rank bonus, but also gain +2 to your own Combat resolution, more then he can gain from his standard, and also negating any War Banner he might take. Since you will get ranks, as you also charge a fully ranked unit into his front, and a standard, plus any kills you might get, he will need to kill at least 4 models to break even.

Remember that a O&G army will always have more troops than you, but you don't have to take them on all together and unit on unit. Gang up on his units. Hit them from the front and rear at the same time. Take out a unit at a time and try to spread panic through the ranks. Goblins panic with ease, and once they start running they don't come back. Just watch out for fanatics.

Try to lure them out with DR, shades or harpies before their parent units get too close to your own line. Chances are they will double back and hit their own side. Then all you have to do is sit back and laugh. If you're lucky, the fanatics will cause enough wounds for a panic test and the unit will flee back through the fanatic, taking even more hits!
Deep amid naif innocence, evil lurks
Megapimp
Noble

Post by Megapimp »

Yeah...fanatics can be a pain in the behind....
Caranthir
Corsair
Location: Somewhere in Naggaroth on a Quest of Selfindulgense

Post by Caranthir »

These are some tricks that help me.
* Lure out fanatics(so that your CoK dont take so much harm later on).
* If he/she has a Great Shaman(or if you know that one will be met) prepare to counter the spells(gorks warpath/foot of gork and other big whaaagh spells can wreak alot of havoc).
* Take out rock lobbas(shades/dark riders should do).
* Fear/Terror is veeeery usefull against Orcs and Gobbos.
* 2-4 RbT's can do wonders with a orc mobb, aslong as you dont have to much bad luck.
* Make 'em panic(as above, kill many = panic = many gobbos run, and maybe som Orcs)
* DONT let their boar boys charge you(boars have S 5 in the charge, ouch!).
* Use his/her's failed animosity to your advantage(for example, if some of their units fail and stand still, try to redirect all your efferts on something else, that is closer to you, if you can.)

Well, that is all the help I can give you. With these things in mind, I have lost very few battles against Orcs and Gobbos. And I can say that I have played many against O&G.
Death is a Welcome Ally. And a Feared Enemy.
Lord slayer
Shade

Post by Lord slayer »

They can be very tough to defeat.

If you can assassinate their general, and force some leadership tests, then things are gonna turn your way. They have many troops that fight poorly, and some troops that hit very hard. Basically you should aim to kill their chariots, boar boys and giant with shooting. Then you can destroy the rest in combat.

Remember loads (LOADS) of scrolls. Big Waagh is terrible. If you can get half a chance at forcing a panic test on their Great Shaman, take it.

Finally, you can sometimes deny much of the horde-advantage by doing a refused flank. Basically place your army on one flank and laugh as half their army can't reach you.

Good luck
Lord Slayer
You call war dangerous? I make fun of the asassin, and I sleep with the Witch Elves. War is as safe as it gets for me.
- Lord Slayer -
Enmanuial
Assassin

Post by Enmanuial »

thanks to their toughness, strengt and numbers it can be hard to defeat them
then there is a wide range of special troops and a reasonable magic list

they do have weaknesses,
Leadership
Anmoisity(or however you write it)

Assasination of his general can make them flee, and that will disturp their battle plan
Shooting, I sometimes play against orcs and reapers can do some real damage, loads of crossbows can do the same
try and lure out fanatics, fast cavelary can do this, lore of shadows can provide this as well(steed of shadows with a character near the regiment, but hidden behind an obstacle)
lore of shadow also has unseen lurker, allowing you to charge while using magic, you can charge the enemy without them expecting it, meaning no fanatics realeased.
watch out for giants and trolls, just manage to kill them before they get into combat or else your their next meal
take out their war machines using dark riders
and remember, goblins fear elves(as long as they do not outnumber them 2 to 1)

there a lot of tips being given in this topic, you probebly can't use them all in one battle, but try to exploit the weaknesses and use the tactics as much as possible, that is what makes the Druchii victorious
Down with Malekith
Long live the Spirit Lakulei
Lordmalusmark
Assassin

Post by Lordmalusmark »

Magic! Black horror! Works like a charm, shoot his wolf riders and his chariots, then he will slowly crumble aftwerwards.
-------------------------------------------
Everyone is everything, as everything is everyone.
Enmanuial
Assassin

Post by Enmanuial »

i agree with Lormalusmark
i forgot that one myself
Magic is wonderfull against orcs
my experience tells that black horror on their large boyz and gobbo regimentz can win the battle for you, casualty, panic test, flee
also soulstealer on their large gobbo regiments can be effective(30 gobs = 30 s3 hits, massive casualties:))
the only weakness of magic is that it won't do much good against giants or trolls
Down with Malekith
Draekn
Executioner

Post by Draekn »

OK, thanks alot. I have a feeling that next time, things will be diferent (evil laugh :twisted: )

http://bloth.proboards24.com/index.cgi is me website of chaos worship (as in, chaos not DE)
Enmanuial
Assassin

Post by Enmanuial »

good luck lad
Down with Malekith
Heronlord
Dark Rider

Post by Heronlord »

I just played against an O&G army and i found really 3 things you have to worry about:

Fanatics: I know alot of people say they arent useful but if you dont make a strong effort to deal with them you are basicly screwed.

Magic: Ork and goblin magic is extremely scary especialy if you ever face the machinegun effect they can pull off with thier lowest little WAHG spell. This sucker is extremely dangerous, so watch out. (he might also use small units of wolf riders to get a bunch hth combats going. in small enough units its almost impossible to force them to panic since they are just all shot down in one volley and with 6 units of the suckers well...)

Bolt Throwers: An orc and goblin army can have a rediculous amount of bolt throwers and other artillary, these suckers can make you weep if he deploys correctly.
Megapimp
Noble

Post by Megapimp »

Try allying with a undead player ;)

*wooohaaaa*
Ratgash
Slave on the Altar

Post by Ratgash »

Advantages of Orcs.
1. In small games (<1000pts.) O&G can really flood the table with cheap troops.
2. Main advantage T4. Those pesky rxb's are a bit useless against these (Ok if you have 40 warriors with rxb and consentrate your fire Orcs will drop)
3. Cheap cheap.
4. Magic is deadly.
5. Cheap

Disadvantages
1. LD! It's only 7. Terror/fear wonderfull
2. Goblins fear elves.
3. No scouts/skirmishers
4. Magic is deadly to shamans also
5. Your troops are faster (elves only)
6. No decent missile troops (Orc archers yeah right! !lol! )
Falahk
Night Goblin

Post by Falahk »

6. No decent missile troops (Orc archers yeah right! )

don't blame the error boyz.....they will just er error

1. LD! It's only 7. Terror/fear wonderfull
watch out for his ld9 lord, hi can realy screw up your plan....(if hi got one..)

* 2-4 RbT's can do wonders with a orc mobb, aslong as you dont have to much bad luck.
this strongly afekt me so I will go for the primarly strengts of our army...
movment.....the bether ld of our troops and the ability to have terror things....

magic is also working ......my friend tend to be cursed with his o&g dispel rolls
SWFBR- Swedish Warhammer Tournament Calendar, Ranking and Forum
Lud von pipper
Beastmaster

Post by Lud von pipper »

To put it simple:

If you are low on luck and he isn't there is no way we are agoing to win against an half decent Ork general, but if the orks start crowding in a narrow passage and you can dispatch atl east half of his charriots at turn 2, then there are good possibility to givethem a solid asskick.

Crush his sides with chivalries and charriots, try ignoring his war machines (they won't be of much use after turn 3 anyway) and hunt down their general and shamans.
He won't be able to tresist fear and terror on their base LD
Draw out fanatics before they will be raching your main battleline: its imperative.

LvP
Seraphlaw
Druchii Archangel

Post by Seraphlaw »

you also forgot about their S7 champions and S5 troopers (cos of the choppas) very deadly ... i would avoid hth with them as much as possible ...
Seraphlaw

"HA! What damage can a DRUCHII do?" - Famous Last Words
Draekn
Executioner

Post by Draekn »

I justplayed a tournament on Saturday and got third place (those Damn Lizzies) and I cruched the two orc players I went up against. Thanks for the help,! :D