Some thoughts on Lizardmen tactics

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Thee forsaken one
Forsaken Master of Fallen Gods

Some thoughts on Lizardmen tactics

Post by Thee forsaken one »

One particularly good target for your RBTs though is the Slann. Being a large target he can be singled out for shooting ( both magical and mundane ) even if he is hiding inside a unit.

RBT are good against Saurus but a waste against Slann. for 50 pts they can get a 2+ ward against shooting and they have T5. I wouldn't waste my time on the Slann with shooting.

I may be shooting my own army in the foot but the best way to take out a Slann is to make his unit flee which I have to say is unlikely but possible.

I'll add to this as more tactics are posted.
Megapimp
Noble

Post by Megapimp »

And what kind of wimpy tactic involving clipping against kroxigors???
That won't exactly give you good sportmanship award of the year...
Jeffleong13
Warmaster of Slaanesh

Post by Jeffleong13 »

MegaPimp wrote:And what kind of wimpy tactic involving clipping against kroxigors???
That won't exactly give you good sportmanship award of the year...

How is following the rules "wimpy"? The only requirement is to bring as many models of the charging unit into contact. Unlike last edition, there is no requirement to bring as many models of both sides into contact.

If sportsmanship is giving up advantages simply because the other player doesn't like the rules, then I disagree with your definition of the term ...

J
Mord.
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mord. »

It's getting a little off-topic, but I'll get to that later :P.

Sportsmanship means that you don't biatch about dumb rules like clipping the enemy so only a couple of his models fight and I think it's just a dumb mistake GW has created/has yet to solve.

Anywayz, a slann doesn't have a standard 2+ ward save, he has a standard 4+ and may take an item to receive a 2+ ward save. But that's besides the point because shooting is great against lizardmen in general. First you shoot the skinks and than you start shooting the slow saurus. Works great, but in case you're wondering there are other ways of beating them infantery is also really great. Black gaurd, executioners, corsairs, it all works! The only things that don't work are Dark riders and Harpies. But in general you can take anything you like, we druchii have a fair advantage in flexibility that works against the lizards a lot of times ;)
"The Angels sing the Devil's Song."
Iromael
Trainee Warrior

Post by Iromael »

The important thing to understand when you come across these sorts of situation is that clipping is an evil and a very wrong thing to do and every effort should be made to avoid it.

Despite the typo, I assume you understand what page 266 of the Warhammer Rulebook is saying here.
"Superior Thinking has always overwhelmed Superior Force."

~USMC

Lord Yae's Regiments of Konquata march to make war on Chaos once again, this time under the Salamander Xiquipilli Banner!
Thee forsaken one

Mordekai of Khanlath wrote:Anywayz, a slann doesn't have a standard 2+ ward save, he has a standard 4+ and may take an item to receive a 2+ ward save. But that's besides the point because shooting is great against lizardmen in general. First you shoot the skinks and than you start shooting the slow saurus. Works great, but in case you're wondering there are other ways of beating them infantery is also really great. Black gaurd, executioners, corsairs, it all works! The only things that don't work are Dark riders and Harpies. But in general you can take anything you like, we druchii have a fair advantage in flexibility that works against the lizards a lot of times ;)

If you read my description I said for 50 pts he can get a 2+ ward.

If you have an opportunity to hit Skinks properly then the Lizzie general's using them wrong. However vast amounts of Shooting is good agains Saurus and can't be disputed.

Corsairs are not good against saurus. A scar-vet with the sword of the hornet can cut down the front rank of corsairs before they can strike (I know this from personal experience.)

Executioners would need to perform really well if they charge Saurus with spears or they will feel pain. A lot of that applies to black Guard as well but their hatred does help on that count.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Thee Forsaken One wrote:
Mordekai of Khanlath wrote:Anywayz, a slann doesn't have a standard 2+ ward save, he has a standard 4+ and may take an item to receive a 2+ ward save. But that's besides the point because shooting is great against lizardmen in general. First you shoot the skinks and than you start shooting the slow saurus. Works great, but in case you're wondering there are other ways of beating them infantery is also really great. Black gaurd, executioners, corsairs, it all works! The only things that don't work are Dark riders and Harpies. But in general you can take anything you like, we druchii have a fair advantage in flexibility that works against the lizards a lot of times ;)

Thee Forsaken One wrote:If you read my description I said for 50 pts he can get a 2+ ward.

True.

Thee Forsaken One wrote:If you have an opportunity to hit Skinks properly then the Lizzie general's using them wrong. However vast amounts of Shooting is good agains Saurus and can't be disputed.

Also true.

Thee Forsaken One wrote:Corsairs are not good against saurus. A scar-vet with the sword of the hornet can cut down the front rank of corsairs before they can strike (I know this from personal experience.)

Not true, a scar vet is a character, in which case challenge him with a Noble equipped with the black amulet and make him dead. The last game I played was against Lizzies, my corsairs, due to unluky persue rolls, broke and chased the same unit of saurus twice.

Thee Forsaken One wrote:Executioners would need to perform really well if they charge Saurus with spears or they will feel pain. A lot of that applies to black Guard as well but their hatred does help on that count.

Or, again, a noble, but this time with a deathmask to make them take a terror test, fear test and auto break. Saurus with spears are a problem alright but I've never actually seen 'em used.
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

I think you are REALLY wrong about Harpies. Skinks travel in paks together typicaly. I have seen on more than one occasion a unit of my Harpies 7-10 of them get the charge on one unit and slam into two more due to the 20" charge range and roll up a few units on a continued charge into a fresh enemy!

Harpies kick ASS against Skinks, and in large flocks they can out number Salamander hunting paks!
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

Anything kicks Skinks around, there T2 No Armor. And Harpies aren't usually a wise unit to charge Salamander Packs with, since there testing for Fear on 6s and wounding on 5s, before the Sallies come back and kill on 2s. Just something to consider with Harpies, which while great at hunting skinks, also sevre wonderfully as March-blockers to open the rest up to shooting.
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Mordekai of Khanlath wrote:it's just a dumb mistake GW has created/has yet to solve.

And could very easily be resolved if GW deemed it important.

A bit OT, but this is another thing I like about Warmaster. It very clearly states how the charger must move against the enemy, and that the charger must maximize frontage of its base and hit the exact center of the enemy unit's formation. Very simple, and solves all this whining and bitching about "clipping"...
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Dark abyss
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dark abyss »

[quote="Drakken"] sevre wonderfully as March-blockers to open the rest up to shooting.[/quote]

i whole heartedly agree every battle i hv won is because i hv tied up that long, annoying skink battle line , most lizard players like to play a very straight forward marching line. this si where a RBT will be yur greatest weapon but i find shades are use ful if u can kill about 7 of the blighters before smashing into their line of skinks. always works for me :twisted:
the time to repent is over, the pretenders are next
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

I use them also as a convienient screen against Skinks in a line formation to block LoS etc....

against Lizards I'll never leave home without 2 units of 7 for 91 points!
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
Thee forsaken one

If fighting Lizards I would use shades because other scouting units can block potential scouting places for Skinks meaning you force them to set up normally or where you want them to scout.

Harpies, I would say, are not good against skinks. Unless there within 10" they will get shot to pieces however they do skirmish but large units of skinks could counter that benefit.
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

Harpies, I would say, are not good against skinks. Unless there within 10" they will get shot to pieces however they do skirmish but large units of skinks could counter that benefit.

Not really. I usually see units of 12 Skinks, A normal Stand and Shoot (4 +1 Skirmish, +1 Stand and Shoot, +1 Range assuming Blowpipes) means 6's or 7's to hit. Thats 2 wounds at average (worse if Blowpipes, where it drops to .48 Wounds). If your bring a unit of 9 Harpies, thats no test, and you should decimate the Skinks (4.6 wounds, plus numbers means auto-break unless on General).
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
Tiny tim
Slave on the Altar

Post by Tiny tim »

i whole heartedly agree with dark abyss :twisted: