How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

UK Gamesday ' "What Gav said" / 2003 Annual

Post by Dark Alliance »

Hey everyone.

I went to Gamesday yesterday, my first ever one and thouroughly enjoyed it.

There were a number of participation games involving DE armies put on by various gaming clubs and I would like to say congratulations to the high quality of those armies! Well done! You also might like to know that Shadowblade killed Tyrion in 3 straight games!! :twisted: :lol: :lol: It was good to see the DE represented in force.

Bumped into Gav while I was there and I asked him a couple of questions you may be interested in. They received the answer: quote "There are no plans to revise the Dark Elf lists at this time" and, "There will be nothing extra for the Dark Elves in the 2003 Annual apart from the Garrison List".

Which I can confirm as I bought the new annual yesterday.The Albion magic items are in there as well though.

Apparently, and this info' is second hand as I did not go to the Warhammer Seminar, Gav got a grilling there too but would not be drawn. One thing that may make you smile - one of the members of our club who did go to the seminar (HE player) asked why the HE list lacked any real punch. The reaction of the forum was for one of them to ask the others "Yeh, just why is the HE list crap too?!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope I make you smile. Anyway it was a good day all round and I recommend you visit one if you get the opportunity.
Knightsaber
Dark Rider

Post by Knightsaber »

Cool! Is the the garrison army and official list or is it just an "appendix" list? Basically, is it tourny legal? Oh, and are there any changes from the WD version?
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

It's good to hear these things.

Bye
Lord Thalack
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

The list is official, tournament legal and does not require your opponents agreement beforehand.

I don't know the wd list but in the annual you have lord / noble choice. Lv 1 or 2 sorceress. Core units : warriors / city guard or cold one knights
Special choices : bolt thrower / chariot / dark riders
Rare : harpies / shades

And the Albion items are tourey legal too

have fun
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

I believe someone posted the WD list somewhere on this forum. And about the harpies. Are they still 0-1? And is the core unit COK 0-1?

Bye
Lord Thalack
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Dark Alliance wrote:The list is official, tournament legal and does not require your opponents agreement beforehand.

Haha! I wonder how long it takes to drop the list from tournament play again.

I don't think it'll be much fun to play against 8 RBTs!

Bye
Thanee
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Shades are 0-1 and COK are 0-1

And playing with 8 rbt is certainly only going to be fun for one person ha ha :twisted:
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

This might be an evil scheme to fuel the Dark Elves are cheesy minority... :D

Uh, oh, now I have opened the door for all those Gav-bashings again! ;)

Be kind to him, he's just a man doing his job! :)

Bye
Thanee
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I like your sense of humour.

Let's add some more fuel to the fire - so why was Beastlord Rakarth made official in the annual & not Shadowblade??? ;)
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

I am not really impressed by this. I have never really seen the DE as a defensive force, so giving them a defensive army list is not really that exciting to me. The City Guard is nice, of course, but 8 RBT's is just wrong. I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy; I just don't think it would be a very fun game, and I think that it would just lead to worse list-escalation. What's next, the Empire Steam Tank Company list?

It does make me think that Gav was right that the City Guard would have made it a no-brainer over Crossbowmen and Spearmen. The only part he didn't realize was that people weren't going to use Crossbows or Spears very much anyhow (if most of the lists I see these days are to be believed)

Oh well, maybe next year. Oh, and I expect that Shadowblade will be made official when they do their new campaign thing later this year.
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
Adreal_the_immaculate
Assassin

Post by Adreal_the_immaculate »

shadowblade is comeing, im pretty sure its when that blind elf gets to nagaroth or sumthin like that :?
its not the lies that you say, but what the silence will scream
Mordkar

Post by Mordkar »

An entire Empire panzer company... now that is a scary thought indeed o_O;;

I never liked the city guard list from the start. It's nothing more than some tape and string to try and bandage up a massive wound in the Dark Elf army list >:(

-Mordkar
EFWD Dictator for Life
"Are you a closet Swordmaster?"
thrawn

Post by thrawn »

thanx for the info. :D
Furion
High Sorcerer

Post by Furion »

Personally, I like the Garrison list for the most part. Its a bland list, no specific city in mind- almost defeats the purpose. Maybe the Baron doesn't care for 8 RBT's, but I'd love to abuse the list for once! :twisted:

I own 3, and at least 3 more would frighten my opponents enough so that the psychological factor would be enough. I've used the list a few times since I heard of its becomming official, and must say it works well. I've employed two blocks of 24, and they are solid. Increased armour save for combat and the ability to shoot too.

It does have drawbacks as well: no monsters, very limited magic and most elite formations aren't an option. It has the Gav mark of incompleteness about it, but its very usable.
Putting the FUN back into fundamentalism since 1998
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

well I don't know about you but I wouldn't use 8 RBT do to the fact that posisioning them on a table would be hard, in a 2000 point game 4 is hard to place. and when facing cannons/warmachines one could be in trouble. 4 is a good number, may bey 6, but no more. leave some point's for other thinds, like COK wich are core now.
Also known as Kanadian
Gaz taylor
Dark Rider

Re: UK Gamesday ' "What Gav said" / 2003 Annual

Post by Gaz taylor »

Dark Alliance wrote:Apparently, and this info' is second hand as I did not go to the Warhammer Seminar, Gav got a grilling there too but would not be drawn.

I was in that seminar and it amazed me the amount of DE questions that got asked, but at least Gav took time to answer them when he could of said "Sorry, next question!".

Anyway it was a good day all round and I recommend you visit one if you get the opportunity.

Well it's most likely the last Games Day for me. I was very disapointed as it felt like I was just walking around one of their stores but had to pay £18 to get in!
Dragnipur
Cold One Knight

mwhuaha

Post by Dragnipur »

Always good to hear that a well-trained dark elf can defeat the pride of the He-nation. Go go shadowblade. Always liked the character :twisted:
Khaela Mensha Khaine
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

The city guard list is a nice idea, but horribly unbalanced IMHO.

Bye
Thanee
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

Thanee wrote:The city guard list is a nice idea, but horribly unbalanced IMHO.

A fair enough statement, but in what respect do you mean it. Too strong? I perhaps would agree with you here but I havent managed to try it out yet so I'm not really sure.

I can imagine it would demolish a non-shooting army.
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe
Gaz taylor
Dark Rider

Post by Gaz taylor »

Leithel wrote:I can imagine it would demolish a non-shooting army.

Possibly, but then again most armies have access to something that will be able to stop the reapers! For example chaos, the classic non-shooting army. It has Hounds to screen units as well as attack the crews of reapers, same with marauder horsemen. Also Furies and Screamers are quite good at sorting out reaper crew too and it also leaves a (small) fear causing unit behind your lines!!! But that depends on the chaos general expecting to see lots of warmachines. Then again you could be facing the 'entry level' chaos general who has two units of chosen (warriors and knights) and a Lord and not much else! :twisted:
Nialion
Warrior

Post by Nialion »

I would agree with Thanee the cityguard list is unbalanced. It is to powerfull with that list we DE´s could do some real powergaming. And besides I also always have seen the DE´s as an aggresive army so I think the defensive list is well just a bit wrong (for my taste atleast).
Gaz taylor
Dark Rider

Post by Gaz taylor »

Nialion wrote:And besides I also always have seen the DE´s as an aggresive army so I think the defensive list is well just a bit wrong (for my taste atleast).

I agree with that, but just because you are standing still doesn't mean you can't be aggresive! :D
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Well I played a chaos army who tried going after the RBT, and I let them, it was their mistake, by leaving the RBT virtually undefended it was to tempting not to go after, but in the second turn I shifted most of my force to aid the bolthrowers, luckly I only lost one crew member, and he lost 1/3 of his force.

and another thought, if you concentrate the RBT fire on what ever is thretning them and wait with the rest of your force, most of the time the RBT will mannage with little help.

so I wouldn't worry to much about stuff like that. against VC, one of the blood lines get's to summon ghoules from a table edge, well no problem the bolt throwers can handle thoes too.

It's a exelent unit.
Also known as Kanadian
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

Gaz Taylor wrote:I agree with that, but just because you are standing still doesn't mean you can't be aggresive! :D

The thing is, elves are not meant to stand still. That's why we're paying through the nose for every model, along with good Ld of course. Speed and the movement phase also happens to be the thing I enjoy most about playing DE.

I must say I'm rather disappointed if this garrison list is all us DE players are going to get. The problem with the DE book was not city guard, it was just that it wasn't very well thought out, and had un unfinished feel about it. And to mitigate that, they make a list with which you can only make a handful of viable armies, since the choices are so limited (and no magic heavy army possible, another inherent DE strength curbed!).

Too bad, although it's nice that the list is totally legal and does not require opponent's consent - which does actually give us more options. But again, why not put just a little more effort in things? Are they so much underpaid at GW, or put on such a tight schedule?

-Metallurgist
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Leithel wrote:A fair enough statement, but in what respect do you mean it. Too strong? I perhaps would agree with you here but I havent managed to try it out yet so I'm not really sure.

Yes, I think 8 RBTs are too much! :D

Bye
Thanee