Black Staff & Power Stone

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Decheran
Evil Henchman

Black Staff & Power Stone

Post by Decheran »

can someone clafify for me what the rules for these are, because it says that the power stone gives +2 dice to cast a spell, and the black staff gives you unlimited power dice to cast, so whats the difference except one gives you +2 and the other gives you as many as you want, im probably wrong but here is what i think it does; an army w/ 8 power dice

lvl 2 w/power stone may try to cast once w/up to 5 PD

lvl 2 w/black staff may try to cast as many times as she can w/ as many as all 8 PD

is that how it works or am i wrong, can someone clarify it for me?
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

Whoaaa there!

The Black Staff merely removes the normal limitation on using only (Wizards Level +1) casting dice. It doesn't give you any more dice.

You also can't try and cast the same spell twice with the same Wizard unless you have the Double Dippin' Do-Dahs.
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

i wasn't trying to say that you could cast the same spell twice, anyway, so the power stone gives you an actual additional 2 PD? so if i had 3 power dice and i used a power stone i would have 5?

Im having one of those days when i cant understand anything :roll:
-Carl Sagan
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

According to page 154 of the WH Main Book, "A further two dice are added to the casting roll. Note that using a power stone will allow a Wizard to use more Power dice than he is normally permitted."

So yes, if you use a Power Stone with a 2nd lvl Sorceress, you could cast the spell with three to five dice (add two more "free" dice to your initial one to three dice.) If you used the Black Staff with a 2nd lvl Sorceress, and you had five dice in your casting pool, you could cast with five dice then, too.

I've never used either of those items in any of my armies, as they seem to need fairly specific situations to be really useful.
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by The word of pain »

You can also use the 2 power stone dice on thier own to cast a spell, usefull after you use your last dice and your oppo throws all his dispel dice at them to get a spell off. But as us Dark Elves are so expensive, I prefer to use the points elsewere. The only arcane items i tend to use are:
Darkstar cloak
Tome of Furion
Sometimes a dispel scroll.
The Word of Pain

Most heard comment at UK GT...
"Please, not Wood Elves again..."
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

That are the same magic items I usually use

Bye
Lord Thalack
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Me too :D
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

That's what most people use.
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

those are the only ones i use really, but i was really wondering what the power stone did
-Carl Sagan