MAGIC ITEMS COMBOS, QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

turinturambar

MAGIC ITEMS COMBOS, QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS

Post by turinturambar »

these thinks i post here are my opinions of how de can go in battle and they have worked ok with me.try theme if you want to,and please let me know if you found theme crap or helpfull.
magic item combo on hightborn=armour of eternal servitude( i dont think an opponent will think of fire damage exept some armies with warmachines causing theme) with crown of black iron OR with mystic shield of light. Youre going to tell me about offence,i give him a 2handed weapont or a lance to give him str and mount him on a beast or cold one and he almost always kills more point than he costs.
Althought i play for a some time (4 years) and played a lot with the new rules i have a question about the rules (propably because of my limited knolege of english):CAN the battle standard bearer be mounted on a cold one???? I assumed until now he could but i had a argument with a friend,that coma there is a riddle for me.he can or cannot be on a peggasus(rules page27 )
One last think I use cold ones , althought i dont know if its worthy,i like them SO i make a unit of 10 with banner of murder and the battle standard attachet to them with a banner of hydra expensive but powerfull unit try it if the battle standard is allowed to be mounted on a cold one[/i]
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

A battle standard bearer can be mounted on a cold one or a dark steed, but he can't be mounted on a dark pegasus

Bye
Lord Thalack
Sortelveren
Dark Emissary

Post by Sortelveren »

the battle standard bearer cant ride a dark pegasus. is says so in the ab page 27
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Not even You!!

Hilsen Sortelveren
www.hardwareHQ.dk
Sortelveren
Dark Emissary

Post by Sortelveren »

damn, didnt see that thalack had already answered that one...
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Not even You!!

Hilsen Sortelveren
www.hardwareHQ.dk
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

:lol:
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

To make this a little better understandable for you...

The Battle Standard Bearer cannot be given any non-magical equipment except for light or heavy armour and a Sea Dragon cloak, or be mounted on a Dark Pegasus.

In english you sometimes use a comma to seperate the items of an annumeration, even immediately before an 'and' or 'or', which is done here in a quite confusing manner. ;) I don't know about your language, but in german a comma is not used like this.

Bye
Thanee
Dargo
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dargo »

>One last think I use cold ones , althought i dont know if its worthy,i like >them SO i make a unit of 10 with banner of murder and the battle >standard attachet to them with a banner of hydra expensive but >powerfull unit try it if the battle standard is allowed to be mounted on a >cold one[/i]

Good for you! A COK-unit looks really menacing on the battlefield. The bad side of the coin is that it will certainly get A LOT of attention from your humble opponent: bolt throwers, thunderers, magic, to name just a few. And if you do field that kind of expensive, all-eggs-in-one-basket -unit be sure to keep it from falling into a trap or even worse - fail a stupidity-test in a crucial moment. (Did it ONCE - won't fail it again, not me!)

Just keep a DR-unit close by ready to receive a possible charge in case of failed stupidity-roll and to provide some additional help in the form of a flank-charge.
turinturambar

Post by turinturambar »

Thanks a lot for the definition on the rule.
As for failing the stupidity test of cold one knight i ve almost never (1-2 times in about 20-25 battles ) failed it (ld 9 of the standard bearer, re-roll psycology test)
THANKS AGAIN
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

A BSB doesn't allow you to re-roll psychology tests. It only allows you to re-roll break tests

Bye
Lord Thalack
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

Don’t feel too bad. Some of us native speakers who have degrees in this language still cannot figure out what they are saying sometimes.
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by The word of pain »

An expensive (in points) but very effective combo:

High born - Cold One - Heavy Armour - Sea Dragon Cloak - Gauntlet of Power - Enchanted shield. 249 points.

Plus

Battle Standard bearer - Cold One - Heavy Armour - Sea Dragon Cloak and Hydra Banner - 211 Points.

In

A unit of 8 Clold One Knights, with full command and Banner of Murder. 322 points.

Total Points: 782!

The unit of 10 models are arranged 6 in front and 4 behind. ( A bit wide, but they just charge across the board and mop up everything!)

On the Charge, you have:

5 S8, no arm save attacks @ WS7
9 S5 Attacks @ WS5
4 S4 Attacks @ WS6
12 S4 Attacks @ WS3

That's a total of 30 attacks in the first round of combat. I have found nothing that can withstand this volume of attacks, not even undead!. Most opponants will auto break, as once the combat is over 9 times in 10, you will outnumber them and cause fear. it's very, very effective. Even characters go down from the High born if required, but it is a 'all eggs in 1 basket' type army.
The Word of Pain

Most heard comment at UK GT...
"Please, not Wood Elves again..."
Haplo
Highborn

Post by Haplo »

but if your opponent brings anything that looks like a stonethrower, rocklobba, heavy magic, decent shooting like ratlingguns, elven boltthrowers, dwarf handgunners. Those guys are as good as dead!

Also think about what your own army could do to such a unit! I know for sure that they would end up fighting dark riders for the whole game. seeing only few low points combats all the while getting shot to pieces!
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

Thanee wrote:

In english you sometimes use a comma to seperate the items of an annumeration, even immediately before an 'and' or 'or', which is done here in a quite confusing manner. ;) I don't know about your language, but in german a comma is not used like this.

Bye
Thanee

As far as I know, it's not used like that in English either, it took me a couple of seconds to figure out what it was saying myself.

Also - I would just like to ask if a BSB can take a shield, as it doesn't mention it in the rules - but in the WD BRs the bsb on CO seems to have a shield.
Farke
Noble

Post by Farke »

It ain't used like that in Norwegian either. According to an American teacher I had in High School English (or at least American English) have some pretty strange or vague comma rules...
Dilvish
Dark Rider

a reply to Sureal

Post by Dilvish »

I asked this question before of GW and they replied that the BSB CANNOT use a shield. They said that the Battle Report in WD featuring us DE vs the VC, had got it wrong. The "rep" then said that I could not rely upon WD as a good source of rules! Matt Hutson probably only had the Studio minis to work with and they were already painted with a shield on. since they didn't have cloaks I can only assume he made a deal with Count Mark to swap the cloak for a shield. I have no proof of this. It is pure speculation on my part. That paragraph explaining the BSB is very murky! The answer that GW gave me HAS held up in tourneys and the guys over at Druchii.net agree with it. :)
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Sureal wrote:Also - I would just like to ask if a BSB can take a shield, as it doesn't mention it in the rules - but in the WD BRs the bsb on CO seems to have a shield.

Nope, a BSB is specifically disallowed the use of shields (mundane and/or magical) as well as two-handed weapons (also mundane and/or magical).

It has been clarified in the FAQ.

Bye
Thanee
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

yep, the BSB can't have a shield. He can only have heavy armour and a SDC. And what magic items he can have was in the Q&A in WD 272

Bye
Lord Thalack
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Re: a reply to Sureal

Post by Thanee »

Dilvish wrote:...and the guys over at Druchii.net...

That would be here... ;)

Bye
Thanee
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

To keep thread on topic (as it seems to divert in strange directions) I wanted to post Magic Item combos of my dragon riders (I can;t stop myself from using dragons... I just love them... I own 2 and near beginning of november i'll have 3rd :D )
So here are combos:
Gauntlet of Power + Crown of Black Iron
Armour of Eternal Servitude + Mystic Shield of Light
That's for dragon riders (when I'll have 3rd I'll come up with combo for him :D )
Now Cold One rider:
Blood Armour + Lifetaker + Black Amulet (combined with cold one, sea dragon cloak, heavy armour and shield he can get armour as low as -4 and -5 for shooting... with enchanted dhield that would be -5/-6 respectively... now what except cannonball (and other things negating save) can kill him huh? :twisted: he can possibly take a charge form chosen khorne knights and beat them :twisted: )
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I usually equip my Highborn on Manticore/Dragon with Gauntlet of Power, Enchanted Shield and either Ring of Hotek or Seal of Ghrond.

Bye
Thanee
Nialion
Warrior

Post by Nialion »

Remember that the Crown of black iron gives your mount immunity to high and light magic to.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I know :D I can still remember first time my High Elf enemy used Vaul's Unmaking on my Highborn... :D
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

My friend always forgets my high sorceress has crown of black iron, so he casts the first spell I say my sorceress has the crown and he just casts the next spell on her too :D

Bye
Lord Thalack
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by The word of pain »

Dalamar wrote:

Blood Armour + Lifetaker + Black Amulet (combined with cold one, sea dragon cloak, heavy armour and shield he can get armour as low as -4 and -5 for shooting... with enchanted dhield that would be -5/-6 respectively... now what except cannonball (and other things negating save) can kill him huh?

Sorry, you are making the same mistake many make with blood armour. Blood armour States that it can be combined with other armour and for every unsaved wound caused, the armour save improves to a maximum of 1+. That's a max total armour save of 1+, not just for the blood armour. So you cannot get better than 1+, if you have blood armour, regardless of other equipment!

The best combo for Cold One riders is: Cold One, Heavy armour, Enchanted sheild and Sea Dragon Cloak for a -1/0+ Save.
The Word of Pain

Most heard comment at UK GT...
"Please, not Wood Elves again..."
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Nope... you're wrong... You firts count Blood armour which is at best 1+ and then add other armour... if not then it's just another useless piece of shiz we got