Nope
31%
Don't care
3%

Total votes: 29

Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

I haven't got around to buying one yet - so I voted don't care.
Sortelveren
Dark Emissary

Post by Sortelveren »

i use on cause it looks cool first of all, it usually draws the enemys hard-hitting troops in its direction and im very happy with the way i painted it... :oops:
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Not even You!!

Hilsen Sortelveren
www.hardwareHQ.dk
Anadrael
Corsair

Post by Anadrael »

Love the Model plus its great in a fight.

Anadrael

... Second Star on the right and straight on til morning....

icon (c)Sarah Mitchell - please don't steal!
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I have 2 hydras, a regular model from the army book and one I have converted up to be a spellthirster, by removing 2 of the heads and replacing them with the plastic hands from the malekith dragon.

Side by side in larger games they not only look cool on the battlefield, they scare the bejesus out of your oppo' :twisted:
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I just got one, so havn't used it yet.

Bye
Thanee
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

I've got the model, but don't use it that often

Bye
Lord Thalack
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I have one and use her quite often... she can help or not just like any unit... and is great missile magnet
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

So What kind do you use?

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

I will expand on this poll and ask you:

"What type of Hydra do you use and how?"
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

If I would uuse one I would just use the one in the armybook

Bye
Lord Thalack
Sortelveren
Dark Emissary

Post by Sortelveren »

the normal and the royal hydra....
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Not even You!!

Hilsen Sortelveren
www.hardwareHQ.dk
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

I used to use one in my army, but I was usually disappointed with her performance. The Cold One Chariot has very similar stats, and although it is Stupid, it has better combat potential. The biggest advantage I think that the Hydra has is that it moves like a character, so it is much more maneuverable than a chariot or a regiment.

So, no, I do not use my Hydra anymore.
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Don't Chariots move the same as Hydras do (except that they cannot march)?

I would use the regular War Hydra mostly, I think. The other ones seem to expensive. The Spellthirster is nice, but only against opponents that do not know it well enough, the Royal Hydra is too weak for the high cost after the nerfing and the Veteran Hydra is too random for my tastes (besides the fact, that the randomness is extremely stupid, as you should know what kind of Hydra you have there, as most of the effects would be known long before the battle (i.e. Chameleon Skin ;)), and how the heck can the same Hydra change all the time, if you use it in a tournament, for example).

Bye
Thanee
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Are the disadvantages of the Veteran Hydra really that bad?

Other than the 5th (where it will attack friend or foe), most of its abilities seem rather advantagous to me.

This is actually the Hydra I am considering the most.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I didn't speak of the disadvantages, but of the randomness.

Bye
Thanee
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Hydras are great. Whenever I can spare a rare slot in goes the fire breathing monster. They're fun to paint and you don't have to do too much to make them look awesome on the table.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Ezeraal
Corsair

Post by Ezeraal »

I will be fielding one, however the reason is purely aesthetic. I'm hoping for a good painting score at tournaments, and having such a centre piece really helps. It'll just be a standard hydra.

Unlike some though, i think the hydra model is kinda crap, so i will be converting mine. I don't like the way it is just standing around, and think it can be done in a more dynamic and viscous pose.
The darkness is here and you will fall...
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I mainly find the forelegs could need some better pose. I like the way, the heads are done. :)

I think the whole model is a little small, tho (it doesn't even stand higher than a horse).
Should be about twice that big! :D

Bye
Thanee
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

The Chariot can spin where it begins, and then move 7 inches; in a straight line.

The Hydra can march 12 inches; (as long as her handlers have a 2 inch lead on her base) and can change facing as many times as she likes for free during that time.

So, the Hydra can move around a little easier than the chariot can!
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Dark Alliance wrote:I have 2 hydras, a regular model from the army book and one I have converted up to be a spellthirster, by removing 2 of the heads and replacing them with the plastic hands from the malekith dragon.

Side by side in larger games they not only look cool on the battlefield, they scare the bejesus out of your oppo' :twisted:

Very excellent idea! Must copy!
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Ezeraal
Corsair

Post by Ezeraal »

I mainly find the forelegs could need some better pose. I like the way, the heads are done.

I think the whole model is a little small, tho (it doesn't even stand higher than a horse).
Should be about twice that big!

Yeah, it is a bit low, long and static. I envisage mine rearing back more, a couple of heads roaring their defiance over the battle field, and the other ones looking as if they are about to shred some enemies. My gaming group are supposed to be setting up a website sometime early next year, with pix of some of our armies. If we get this site done I'll post it there, and will also advertise the site address later :D
The darkness is here and you will fall...
Crimsondeath
Cold One Knight

Post by Crimsondeath »

It's hardly an essential component of my armies, but I have used it from time to time with some success. It draws a lot of fire (even from people who should know better), and I think it looks quite good.
There's nothing to see here. Move along.
Impure souls
Highborn

Post by Impure souls »

i love my hydra its spectacular.i sort of hid it so it looks like its doing nothing and when i rearrange my charoits the leap frog charge of the hydra and chariots is devastating. i love my little pet!! :P
i shape my weapons, from the fears of my enemy.
Aella
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Aella »

I LOVE my hydra!

It's very versatile for a monster and against magic-heavy armies I'm glad to have a spell-thirster on my side.

Most often I use the regular hydra but I'm considering getting another and converting it to be a veteren. Although I somewhat dislike the randomness, if you act like you know exactly what you're doing your opponent will be just as uncertain as you are!
"Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather
straps."

"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a sup-
port group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at
the bar." -Drew Carey
Shockwave
Highborn

Post by Shockwave »

I've used only Royal and Spellthirster both vs my friends Helfs, though it rarely gets into combat (once in four games) the royals breath weapon is good vs their low toughness, and the magic resistance of the spellthirster is also good though i'm a bit pissed that they change the rebound to destruction, ( a single mage attacked by flames of the phoenix= dead Helf mage (the only good type)). So though it's rarely paid for it's self directly in points, i think it has won these games cause of my opponent moving to keep out of it's way
As a side note i have two Hydra's one is still bxed which i intend to convert
I'd rather lose a closely fought game then have it all sown up in a couple of turns.

Strangely, been here longer than most of the Admin staff.......