Another Beastman Beating...

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Barondesade
Noble

Another Beastman Beating...

Post by Barondesade »

Hello All,

I was broken and smashed by the new Beastmen today. I tell ya, ever since the BM's got M5 and a 360 charge arc, it's just really hard to use those infamous Dark Elf manuever-ploys.

Low points of the game inlcuded my right wing (Corsairs, Witches and BSB) being totally smashed by a Dragon Ogre Drake, an Exalted Demon, and a unit of Chaos Knights. You see, both my COK's and CO Chariot had gone Stupid the turn before (on LD 10, no less, at odds better than one in a hundred!), totally ruining my ability to manuever my army. My Dark Riders were also slain when they fought one general BM unit. I tried to attack from one direction with one DR unit and then, when the BM's ranked up, hit it in the flank with another DR unit, but the BM's were able to keep my DR units too far apart to help each other. I was proud of myself, though, as I was able to enjoy the game and have fun even though things were going wrong.

I did have one victory. Again, my COK's proved immovable to the hordes of BM on their flank and front, and my Highborn slew many with his greatsword. I was able to bring up my spear unit and remove the BM's flank, breaking two of their units and allowing me to run down the Bestigors.

I did learn one important lesson today: stagger your units. When my right flank was hit, my Corsairs ended up getting in BTB with the Chaos Knights even though they were not the targets of the charge (like happened in the WD DE batrep.) Even though the Corsairs only lost three guys, the Witches lost 10 or so, so there was no way that the Corsairs could hold, even with the BSB. So, a little staggered frontage would have helped out a lot.
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
Crimsondeath
Cold One Knight

Post by Crimsondeath »

Yes, from what I've heard, the new Beastman list sounds particularly nasty. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until next Wednesday when the new WD comes out down under :(

In the meantime, could anyone tell me anything about the Dragon Ogre Drake that I've heard so much about - stats, points etc?
There's nothing to see here. Move along.
Assa
Trainee Warrior

Post by Assa »

CrimsonDeath wrote:Yes, from what I've heard, the new Beastman list sounds particularly nasty. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until next Wednesday when the new WD comes out down under :(

In the meantime, could anyone tell me anything about the Dragon Ogre Drake that I've heard so much about - stats, points etc?

It's all in the latest armybuilder datafile.

Dragon Ogre Drake
M7 - WS8 - BS3 - S5 - T5 - W6 - In4 - A6 - Ld 9, 275 pts.

Has Unit Strength 6, 4+ save due to scaly skin, causes terror, immune to lightning, immune to psychology. Large Target.

Can have Great Weapon, extra hw, heavy armor or shield for +6, light armor for +3 pts. hw+shield and heavy armor would give him a -1+ save in hth...
~AssA~
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

The new Beastman list is extremely scary. Especially since it will be one army combined with the Hordes of Chaos list. Ouch!

The horde rules are a little over the top, if you ask me. All the benefits of skirmishers AND regiments combined!

Bye
Thanee
Bombale
Trainee Warrior

Post by Bombale »

Was the list made by Gav?
Merciless, bloodthirsty and vengeful; these are the characteristics of a successful Druchii General.
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

I don't know any chaos players, so may not have to fight them.
But the new horde rule doen't sound right to me, not only is it generating lots of questions, it's powerful from what i've heard.
Draichlord
Noble

Post by Draichlord »

I believe it was Gav's doing........no doubt to please Paul Sawyer, who is a big beastman player. At least the BM are 1 of 5 armies I have...mwahaha
If you run, you'll just die tired
Saq
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Saq »

I´ve heard that the horde is still a skirmishing unit in the aspect of removing ranks when flank/rear charging another unit. This should, to a certain extent, negate the benefit of 360 sight and always marching. But I must confess that Beastmen now sound quite powerfull.
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

Hitting a unit in the flank negates the ability of Spears (as if they needed anything more done to them) and typically your unit champion is not on the flank of your unit either. It is also a free +1 CR for having US on someone's flank. So, yes, if it doesn't take ranks then it is merely an overwhelming advantage rather than a crushing one. Read my post about the Staff of Darkoth as well!
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
Sortelveren
Dark Emissary

Post by Sortelveren »

it takes the ability of spears?
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Not even You!!

Hilsen Sortelveren
www.hardwareHQ.dk
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

Spears can only attack in two ranks against models with which they are engaged in the front, you can't figh in 2 ranks against models in your flank

Bye
Lord Thalack
Sortelveren
Dark Emissary

Post by Sortelveren »

oh, thought he meant that an attack in the flank would take the ability to attack in two rows against enemys in the front...
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Not even You!!

Hilsen Sortelveren
www.hardwareHQ.dk
Dralor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dralor »

I hate Gav, he makes other lists like beastmen and dwarfs beardy as hell yet ruins the DE.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Look at the bright side. When they are crushed it will be that much better a victory. Also that dragon ogre drake looks very nasty. Time to hire a few cannons.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Scipio
Highborn

Post by Scipio »

<<Look at the bright side. When they are crushed it will be that much better a victory. Also that dragon ogre drake looks very nasty. Time to hire a few cannons.

Thee above is the lamest bright side I have ever heard of? What kind of a brightside is that?

"Sir there is a legion of Nightbringers on the otherside of that ridge" - Scout
"Lets engage." - Guard Captain
Scout groans - "Suicide"
"Look at the bright side, think of the glory we will get if we win." - Guard Captain

Me thinks GW will do anything to take the fun out of thier games. Which is why I am not sorry I stopped playing 6 months ago. What a joke. Good thing BloodBowl is still fun.
Amorphous
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Amorphous »

The new Beastmen army makes DE look like some sort of joke. Gors have the same M, WS, S and A as corsairs, but also have T4 and cost half as much. They also have ungors as missile shields and 360 charge arc, not to mention ability to march within 8" of the enemy. Being skirmishers the enemy missile fire will be at -1 to hit...

Dragon Ogres vs Cold One Knights and Drake vs Hydra are other comedy comparisons that can be made.

If that list doesn't get toned down too much I'll invest in a beast army when some plastics come out - DE army getting consigned to the shelf. With the GW staff still refusing to fix the DE and constantly releasing ever more powerful armies, trying to win battles with one arm tied behind your back is getting rather tiresome
The millenium hand
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by The millenium hand »

The new beastmen sound EVIL I look forward to facing them

"And we shall know no cheese, for we are cheese incarnate" ~ Attributed to the Necrarch Lord Binky the Tainted (Adapted from the And we shall know no fear Space Marine speech)

~ Death & Binky
And thus was I named The Millenium Hand, Lord of Hands
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Thanee wrote:The new Beastman list is extremely scary. Especially since it will be one army combined with the Hordes of Chaos list. Ouch!

The horde rules are a little over the top, if you ask me. All the benefits of skirmishers AND regiments combined!

Bye
Thanee

Agree, saw the rules the other day. M5 + 360' charge + horde rule, its going to mean I may possibly play the list that allows me to have 8 RBT, bring on cheeze...
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

well i must agree with people, the total chaos list as it stands now is just silly! downright silly.
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

i hope they tone it down in the actual book or else im gonna have to side with the 8 reaper tactic
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

Does the -1 to hit still count with the mob rule? I've got the issue, but I'm just to lazy to go and get it.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Sureal wrote:Does the -1 to hit still count with the mob rule? I've got the issue, but I'm just to lazy to go and get it.

i could tell you but i am too lazy to do it

lol

see hwo annoying that is? ;)

yes they follow all the scirmishing rules plus some
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

lol - yeah, your right it is annoying :roll:.

Man, that's a bit hard to hit them isn't it?
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

the -1 to hit doesn't really matter when you have 48 reaper shots flying at 'em :D
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
Farke
Noble

Post by Farke »

Yes it does. It's a difference of 8 shots hitting/missing.