Killing blow

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lord coran
Slave (off the Altar)

Killing blow

Post by Lord coran »

If you wound with killing blow, he cant take an armour save, only a ward save????
Saq
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Saq »

No, if you roll a "6" when rolling to wound, the opposing model is slain regardless of armour save or number of wounds. But if the model have a ward save of any kind, he may roll for it to save himself. The killing blow can only be used against man-sized models, including mounted ones.
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

yep, killing blow ignores armour saves, but you can use your ward save

Bye
Lord Thalack
Gaz taylor
Dark Rider

Post by Gaz taylor »

A quick question: Do people feel that Killing Blow is worth it on units or should it be a character only type of skill?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I don't have executioners so I don't know about them but killing blow on Wardancers is great... My dragon rider faced one unit today and thanks to some luck (two killing blows saved! YAY! :D ) he lived... but 8 killing blow attacks targeted at my highborn were really scary (especially when my enemy rolled 5 sixes to hit... but lucky for me only 2 to wound)
Knightsaber
Dark Rider

Post by Knightsaber »

It can be very handy on units if you match them up with very high AS opponents (like chosen chaos warriors or heavy cavalry). However, it is nothing to be relied upon. Most of the time you'll get one or no killing blows but it's well worth it for the one time when you get 3 when facing heavy cav (with my 5 wide executioner unit this has happened on two occasions that I can remember). It is also fun to see your opponent think long and hard before accepting a challenge issued by an executioner champion (so far i've bagged a runesmith and a plague priest with him).
Gaz taylor
Dark Rider

Post by Gaz taylor »

Right we know it's useful but I was thinking more from a background point of view (which I suspose I 'should' of said in my orignal post! )
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

In that case I think that Executioners and Wights should have it Execs cause they train cutting head off all their life :twisted: and wights because their weapons can kill outright... other units i'm not sure about... wardancers? naaah...
Dragnipur
Cold One Knight

Post by Dragnipur »

More units having it xcept execs, wardancers and wights?
Khaela Mensha Khaine
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Can't think of any... nope... none... so we have 4 units with killing blow and 2 heroes with it right now... (unless there are some items in chaos or skaven armies that i'm not aware of)
Quasekomiki
Highborn

Post by Quasekomiki »

I know of one more :

The 'Eadebuttin' Hat from the O&G list gives one Killing Blow extra attack; only Orcs & only applicable in a challenge...

Or was that one already included in your list Dalamar?
If you must choose between two evils,
pick the one you've never tried before
Gaz taylor
Dark Rider

Post by Gaz taylor »

Yup there's four units, plus Chaos, Skaven, and Orc&Gobbos characters have access to Killing Blow. Also when Khermi come out the unit number will jump to five as they will have there own version of the Grave Guard (called the Tomb Guard! Only differance is that they don't have heavy armour), whilst it's rumoured that Giant Scorpions will gain the skill as well.

In regards to my question, I only really think the unit that should have Killing Blow is the Executioners. I would be tempted to add the Undead units, but I think that they would just have magical attacks rather than killing blow! I don't think Wardancers should have it but then it does give the WE list a bit more bite against armies with lots of armoured troops!
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

Mmmm, imagine if they could use it against any sized foe like it says in the fluff! Take that you dragon/giant/treeman/dragon ogre drake!
The millenium hand
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by The millenium hand »

Vampires and Wight Lords can also get killing blow...Wightlords for free (Increasing to killing blow on a 5+ with "The Sword of Kings" for 30 points) and the Vampires with "Master Strike" again for 30 points
And thus was I named The Millenium Hand, Lord of Hands