Armour Of Living Death (Opinions wanted)

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dekhalan
Highborn

Armour Of Living Death (Opinions wanted)

Post by Dekhalan »

Hey there, this is my first topic.

I was wondering if anybody uses the Armour Of Living Death for their Highborn, it uses the whole magic item limit up but it does give +1 Wound and +1 Toughness. I think about taking this in high point games and was wanting to know if it earns it's keep.

Thanks

(I would just use it in some games, but most of my games are 1000 points, so I don't have time to practice, you might say ;)
Sortelveren
Dark Emissary

Post by Sortelveren »

i havent used i yet, cause i think its to expensive. id rather give him some other stuff instead of using all his points on one armour...
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Not even You!!

Hilsen Sortelveren
www.hardwareHQ.dk
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

I think it's a waste of pts. There are better things you can get for your highborn

Bye
Lord Thalack
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

It is a big bunch of points. Not that it isn't worth them, but still. You'd almost have to put him on a cold one to get a good armour save and that limits its use. I wouldn't use it myself since the last few times my general has been run down :cry: and slaughtered without mercy. Not much an extra wound and toughness can do there. Get your highborn a dragon instead. He'll likely enjoy the pet.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

A worthless POS. The item should cost 50-60 points at most.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Actually the item cost is about dead on. Its usually 50 for +1T and 50 for +1W. Examples can be found from previous editions (though not comletely valid they do provide a good estimate) and I'm sure you can find other example in current edition army book (Strigoi vampires get +1W for 50 pts).
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

You should not give a fix cost to T and W, but one based on the base T, basically.

With a T of 3 to start, more than 25 points for a +1 T would be overpriced.

In my revision list, I raised the armour save for this suit of armour to 4+ and reduced the cost to 80 (25 for +1T, 40 for +1W and 15 for +3 AS).

Bye
Thanee
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

I don't see why I can't give a fixed value to T and W. Well actually I do I just think its rediculous when you can get a sword of might (+1S) for the same price (almost) whatever army you play. +1S for chaos lord or some puny HE mage costs the same so why shouldn't W or T? I do like your modification to the item though. The extra save would make it worthwhile to mount the character on a monster and/or buy some for of weapon for him. Have you playtested it?
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

Like the earlier poster said, my Highborn has never been beaten in one-on-one combat, so I don't see it as being that useful.
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
Dekhalan
Highborn

Post by Dekhalan »

Thanks for your help, I can see this item is not all that popular and probabily won't use it after all. How much should it be worth, somewhere in the region of 65-80 ?
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Thanee wrote:You should not give a fix cost to T and W, but one based on the base T, basically.

With a T of 3 to start, more than 25 points for a +1 T would be overpriced.

In my revision list, I raised the armour save for this suit of armour to 4+ and reduced the cost to 80 (25 for +1T, 40 for +1W and 15 for +3 AS).

Bye
Thanee

Very much agree. Going from T3 to T4 is not as good as going from T4 to T5, because you need to take into account whats hitting you. Most characters get S5-S6 after they take certain weapons. T5 is waay better than T4 which is much better than T3 in this case. The cost scale should slide.

I never use it. A highborn needs to kill his prey immediately, not stick around for a drawn out fight he won't win, even with T4 and W4. If you want armour take a cheaper armour like the blood armour, kill a few wimps and soon you have a save of 1+, its only 20 points, so you can still take a good weapon, which you WILL need.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

I've never taken it, but here a point of interest.

Assuming that the strength of the assailant isn't based on your toughness then ANY increase (due to the linearity of the wound chart) has the same increase in chance assuming that there aren't more than 2 points differece AFTER the increase. So S5 the increase is the same from 4 to 5 as it is from 3 to 4. S6 however the icnrease from 3 to 4 is useless.

In other words if you take it pick your opponents wisely.
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe