How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the desert

Post by Dark Alliance »

Or, you thought the Beastmen army was bad, check out KHEMRI!!!! :evil:

Well I have the new khemri book in front of me and all I can say is it is awesome!

Bone Giant 220 points - unstoppable assault. For every wounding hit caused (before armour saves), the Bone Giant gets another attack. These attacks also benefit from the unstoppable assault rule and so on, and so on. M6 / WS3 / BS0 / S6 /T6 / W6 / I1 / A4 / LD 8 It is an undead construct and always counts as being within 12" of the battle standard, even if there is no battle standard, and as such suffers 2 less wounds from combats if they actually ARE within 12" of the BS. Oh and did I mention 3+ AS?

Tomb Scorpions - special rule "it came from below" place a marker on the table for their location, from turn 2 emerge on a 4+, then 3+ etc. Can charge on the turn they emerge!
M7 / WS4 / BS0 / S5 / T5 / W4 / I3 / A4 / LD8. Poisoned attacks. Killing Blow. magic resistance 1

Banner of the hidden dead (one use only) one unit up to 100 points can be start the game buried andthe banner can be used to unearth it in the compulsory moves phase. The unit can move as normal

And there's loads more
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

How much for a scorpion? They have killing blow too right?

Well the giant sounds like it would kick the hydra's butt all the time. Haven't play tested it though.... roughly worth the same points?

I suppose it causes terror also.

Hmmm. How are their other core troops? Like VC?

They sound scary. Hopefully the rest of their stuff is manageable. One thing I may do is actually play 4 RBT, even though its cheezy, sounds like I'll need them.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Well, from the story, you can infer that they have a regen roll much like the Necrons' We'll Be Back roll. Also it seems they maybe have a spell for re-rolls on missed arrow shots? (granted, it may have just been flavor in the story, but in those stories you can usually se ethe rules for the race)

They seem pretty wicked, but we shall overcome!
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

to the giant, all i can say is ****, i don't want to fight it, especially if we pay the same for that *points to war hydra* but we can beat it! with our hydra and its....we got the shaft again didn't we?

someone else said something similar before, i thought it was funny :D
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

Don't forget that it's all relative worth. O&G have the same with their Giant, IE it's cheaper for better stats than our Hydra... but its all relative worth and a lot of their other troops (even trolls) suck compared to ours, hell a Hydra kicks ass over trolls. I don't like to hear people say we got Shafted when they haven't even read the book themselves let alone played a game against the army.
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe
Unseen
Warrior

Post by Unseen »

how did you get your mits on a Khemri book? :shock: i thought it didn't come out til X-mas....how are the anubis looking things, and chariot units??
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

[quote="unseen"]how did you get your mits on a Khemri book? :shock: i thought it didn't come out til X-masquote]

Can't say.

Chariots are 3 - 12 in a unit, follow the rules for light cavaly and cause d3 impact hits. Unit strength 3. Confers a 1+ as instead of 2.

Ushabti are S6 T4 W3 A3 LD10 have the undead construct rule so always act as if within 12" of BSB

Giant causes terror, scorpion costs 85pts unit size 1. Ushabti cost 65pts us 3+
Elvenknight
Elf on the Altar with the Axe

Post by Elvenknight »

would killing blow (from our Exe's) work on the Bone Giant??
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie!" untill you can find a big stick.

The Album is here for all your army photos - Album Moderator
Calindor
Executioner

Post by Calindor »

I think the Tomb kings will rock stone hard and be very cool. I like them a lot, both models(what I have seen) and the fluff.

But nothing that beat our DE. The are simply the best(even if some small things could change). Love them, simple like that.
In Lord Malekith we trust!
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

ElvenKnight wrote:would killing blow (from our Exe's) work on the Bone Giant??

nope, killing blow only works on man-sized models

Bye
Lord Thalack
Keledron
Malekith's Personal Guard
Location: Locked in a bunker with only a HE player for company

Post by Keledron »

The bone giant indead looks rock hard but do the maths on the 4A stat with WS3 vs average troopers T3 it will only kill 3 on average which is no more than your average O&G variety or beastman giant for that matter and is certainly no better than our very own hydra.

The models are however very smart with two variants of the giant.
Expect to see lots of them on a table top near you come the new year. Now where did I put those boxes I got at Gamesday............

Just as a fillip though the Khemri list does have some down sides to it compared to the VC list
Life is short, death last for ever like a journey on British public transport!
Kennethloh
The Lurker in the Shadows

Post by Kennethloh »

Yup, I've had Khemri in mind for a long time already. They're my next 1000 pt army after DE! :p Just need a change of models to paint... a great contrast to my really dark Dark Elf army.
The Aspect of the Lurker in the Shadows

"Cheers, and all hail my new fluff god!" - Alith Anar
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

But keledron, after killing those three the giant now has 7 attacks (if i got the rule right anyhow)

leithel, all i was trying to say was that if you put the bone giant against a unit, and then put the hydra against the same unit, the giant would probably do better
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

That Bone Giant looks ridiculous. That Unstoppable Assault Rule is scary.
Jeffleong13
Warmaster of Slaanesh

Post by Jeffleong13 »

A couple of questions ...

1. Does "light cavalry" follow the fast cavalry rules?
2. What strength impact hits do the chariots cause? S5 still?

What else can you share????

Thanks,
Jeff
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

'Light calvalry' is another way of saying 'fast cavalry' (it says so in the rule book :D ).
Dungeon_god
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dungeon_god »

Grr...I bet the Khemri book won't even be out in the States until next year sometime <sob> and I so wanted to beat down my friend's lizzies :(
Well, time WOULD be nice...
And, Storm of Chaos is here. Are you ready?
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

The lizard man book is comeing out after khemri - and besides, The Khemri books not out yet!
Dungeon_god
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dungeon_god »

I know it's not out yet-I would just like to have it when you guys get it in the UK.

And, he plays with the updated PDF list on GW site. <sigh> wish I could beat him with my DE-oh well. :(
Well, time WOULD be nice...
And, Storm of Chaos is here. Are you ready?
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Leithel wrote:Don't forget that it's all relative worth. O&G have the same with their Giant, IE it's cheaper for better stats than our Hydra... but its all relative worth and a lot of their other troops (even trolls) suck compared to ours, hell a Hydra kicks ass over trolls. I don't like to hear people say we got Shafted when they haven't even read the book themselves let alone played a game against the army.

I agree, I use the giant also. However he can either work extremely well or not well at all as his attacks are randomized. Also as it turns out I have killed it in HtH with the hydra many times, just for interest sakes. Its not hard actually. The giant is balanced. Times where he's taken out a regiment by himself are balanced by the many times he's died easily.

As I said before, against the hydra I can see him wining most of the time. Not that the hydra should always be used against the giant, but for the druchii we may need to bog it down somehow. My point was that points-wise it seems tougher. Now I need to get the book and actually try using it, instead of pontificating like this...

Trolls kick when used properly. Put them in front of a black orc regiment with a banner and general and they get in there. Plus they are 50 points and have stupididty. Are very balanced because they require intelligence to use.

I agree we need to see what exactly this Giant can do. But it looks very tough, as it has extra wounds and doesn't seem to have any penalties other than WS3 which usually hits on a 4+. Its S6 means a good chance of wounding. BUT I could be wrong.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

jeffleong13 wrote:A couple of questions ...

1. Does "light cavalry" follow the fast cavalry rules?
2. What strength impact hits do the chariots cause? S5 still?

What else can you share????

Thanks,
Jeff

The chariots are strength 4

What else would you like to know? :)
Ezeraal
Corsair

Post by Ezeraal »

Okay, look, I am sure that the Khemri book gets lots of nice stuff, and there are good, big monsters etc. Presumably though the core troops are still skeletons, and will be costed as such. Sure they can take those nice light chariots as core (if led by a tomb king), but they are still skeletons!

No need to panic from what i have seen so far, it may take some time to adjust to combating them, but it shouldn't be too hard for most generals to take victories from them, regardless of what race is used against them.
The darkness is here and you will fall...
Fallen angel
Cold One Knight

Post by Fallen angel »

Looks like I'll be needing some Witch Elves, they should make a mess of most Khemri stuff, judging by their lack of tough troops as core (skellies, horse skellies and chariot skellies yeah? Sounds easy....)

Fallen Angel
Play DnD in the Firgotten Realms setting? Have a look at my quick narrative..... http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=21330
Keledron
Malekith's Personal Guard
Location: Locked in a bunker with only a HE player for company

Post by Keledron »

To answer some of the questions

The giant gets extra attacks after its initial attacks

ie you roll for 5 attacks then for wounds then you get x more attacks based on the number of wounds you cause before saves. It means the giant can make between 5 and 10 attacks which is 2 less than the maximum for a basic giant.

Core troops are skeletons and are costed as such making the army quite small as skelies are expensive especially when armed with bows.

One nice touch is that skelie archers always hit on a 5+ but even then they aren't a cheap option.

The army as a whole doesn't have much in the way of armour either skellies with LA + SH being the best you can get, if I recall rightly even the Tomb (grave) guard only get light armour.

One last point about them is they must have 2 characters a Tomb King (General) and a Liche Priest (Wizard) if you kill the Liche Priest then its game over for them as they crumble to dust this is a lot easier than to kill the inevitable Vampire Lord T3 no armour etc....

The Box army deal will be out for christmas apparently with the separate book in the new year.
Life is short, death last for ever like a journey on British public transport!
Redemptionist
Corsair

Post by Redemptionist »

As has already been said the bone giant isnt that good, with 4 attacks it will probably hit twice and wound twice, then hit and wound another 1-2 times, personally unless the opponent is a lucky roller it wont caus emore than 5 casualties meaning against a fully ranked opponent it will lose combat, and the scorpion is nasty to warmachines but against normal units it has US4 so its not too nasty, it is evil to warmachines though, so ill be spacing out my reapers when i play khemri.Ive seen most of the book at Gamesday and its pretty good, khemri archers are fairly good, always hitting on 5's also im sure theres a spell that allows them to fire twice.
Overall im looking forward to seeing khemri and playing them, however i really would like to collect them but i cant, ive got my dark elves to finish and then after khemri lizzies come out! :twisted:
"In a gloom as wide as an eye i am fermenting,roiling hate, death grip in my veins unveiling rancid petals,flowering forth foul nectar the space between a blink and a tear.........Death Blooms"

Mudvayne-Death Blooms