Is an Assassin worth it?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Swingu
Slave on the Altar

Is an Assassin worth it?

Post by Swingu »

I guess the subjest tells it all. Do you use an Assasin? Is there a point buying a 2 wound, T3 character who can't even have an armour at a price of a Highborn + the cost of whatever rank-and-file he'll replace?
Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum.
Sortelveren
Dark Emissary

Post by Sortelveren »

i dont think an assa is the points and the hero worth it costs. as u sais he can not wear armour, so unless he kills his opponent in the furst turn he attacks, the chance that he dies is very high, but i still like to have him standing at the tableside, just to make my opponent curious ;)
btw read the thread about assassins, where the question if the assa replaces or not is debated.....
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Not even You!!

Hilsen Sortelveren
www.hardwareHQ.dk
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

I don't use them very often

Bye
Lord Thalack
Poisonblade
Beastmaster

Post by Poisonblade »

Great against lizardmen and orcs rank and file troops, with manbane of course. That is the only time I would ever use them. A real shame they can't accompany shades...
Hate is my weapon.
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Poisonblade wrote:Great against lizardmen and orcs rank and file troops, with manbane of course. That is the only time I would ever use them. A real shame they can't accompany shades...

Agree with shades. Should be able to use missile weapons and accompany a shade unit as well as scout.

They are interesting in that they can make your day or break it. Don't bother with them against high T troops, better to spend 130 points on something that can flank, like DR. As someone said they are cool against O/G etc. To me they are fascinating. I remember when someone used him with killing blow, killed a challenged general, ran down a unit and walked all over the artillery of the opponent. If you are into entertainment, they are neat. If you want to win take sorceresses and nobles or another unit.

Occasionally will take him if I want to puncture a hole in an army's line quickly. He'll add nicely to combat against regular troops allowing you to win CR.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Dekhalan
Highborn

Post by Dekhalan »

Dekhalan's rule of thumb regarding assassins -

1000points = Never take an assassin
2000points = Sometimes take an assassin
3000points = Always take an assassin

Hope that helped...
...And so it came to pass that the foul elf known as DEKHALAN CHILLWIND invaded our fair shores. This fiend began a campaign of killings, rapings, lootings, enslavings and burnings, sparing neither age nor sex...
Chronicle of Walter of Lyonesse
Poisonblade
Beastmaster

Post by Poisonblade »

I have had some great moments with my Assassin. One time after using steed of shadows to kill a lvl 4 mage, he was charged by 8 wardancers. They only wounded me once, I killed 3 and ran them down.

The mental picture I got of my assassin surrounded by wardancers, killing 3, then slaughtering 5 as they tried to run was awesome.

I've also seen another Dark Elf player take out a unit of 12 skinks with one Assassin, I bet that was bloody. :twisted:
Hate is my weapon.
Dungeon_god
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dungeon_god »

Poisonblade wrote:I've also seen another Dark Elf player take out a unit of 12 skinks with one Assassin, I bet that was bloody. :twisted:

*squeek* *squeek* *SQUEEEEEK!*
Well, time WOULD be nice...
And, Storm of Chaos is here. Are you ready?
Sortelveren
Dark Emissary

Post by Sortelveren »

:lol:

Hilsen Sortelveren
www.hardwareHQ.dk
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Poisonblade wrote:The mental picture I got of my assassin surrounded by wardancers, killing 3, then slaughtering 5 as they tried to run was awesome.

Similar to Aragorn in the LotR movie, when being surrounded by Uruk-Hai! :D

I've also seen another Dark Elf player take out a unit of 12 skinks with one Assassin, I bet that was bloody. :twisted:

12 Skinks... woohoo! :D

My Beastmaster on Manticore once took 3 or so turns to defeat a unit of Skinks... darn dodgy lizards! ;)

Bye
Thanee
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by The word of pain »

I've got 3 very nicely painted Assasin Models, I use none of them! I cannot justify the points cost. Loose a unit of dark Riders for 1 assasin, no thanks!
The Word of Pain

Most heard comment at UK GT...
"Please, not Wood Elves again..."
Dragnipur
Cold One Knight

Post by Dragnipur »

Same here... own 3 assasin models, and only use them in friendly games where lose-or-win does not really matter.
Khaela Mensha Khaine
Dilvish
Dark Rider

Killing Blow

Post by Dilvish »

For some reason, the combo of Manbane and Rune of Khaine has never worked for me. Oddly enough, I have had far more success with the Dark Venom and Killing Blow temple upgrade combo. My assassin even killed a Blood Dragon Lord with it! :twisted:
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

I use an assassin quite frequently, usually with the Dark Venom/Touch of Death ability combo. He has never failed to regain his points value in kills. He even once took out a 20 man unit of Ironbreakers on his own. Another time he charged a dwarf cannon, killed the crew on the charge, and continued to overrun and kill warmachines in my enemy's rear line until the game ended... :lol: I never leave home without him. ;)
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Shockwave
Highborn

Post by Shockwave »

You do know if hit with a 6 you can't killing blow
I'd rather lose a closely fought game then have it all sown up in a couple of turns.

Strangely, been here longer than most of the Admin staff.......
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Well, duh... On average with 4 attacks, I maybe get 1 poison hit (if that). I have better luck with the killing blow. it's called "covering all your bases".
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

Image Image
Ryanthegreat
Trainee Warrior

Hmmm

Post by Ryanthegreat »

I've only used an assassin once and he was very helpful.

I stuck him in a unit of corsairs and engaged my opponents enemy unit of saurus. I revealed the assassin and challenged. He accepted with his saurus hero. I killed the saurus hero (no over-kill though, *sob sob*), but his unit still held. Then I challenged again and he accepted with champion, and I slaughtered the champion, winning the combat.

Assassins can be useful, especially when your opponent doesn't suspect them, or doesn't realise how good they can be.
Long live Malekith, the Witch-King!
~RyantheGreat
Shockwave
Highborn

Post by Shockwave »

- Dragon 9
Sorry i was under the illusion it was called a "waste of points"

- Ryan the Great
Very true vs people who don't know about assassins.

However most people hear believe that their opponents are as good as they are (or at least think they are). Me being mainly a 40k player expect that my opponents are going to batter then me at fanasty, or at least equal to. Also unforunatly i have a tendentcy(?) of looking at the maths in things. which is 2 reasons why, though i love assassins they rarely get used by me (also keeps them a surprise if i do use them). Though to date not one of mine has paid his points.
I'd rather lose a closely fought game then have it all sown up in a couple of turns.

Strangely, been here longer than most of the Admin staff.......
Sortelveren
Dark Emissary

Post by Sortelveren »

i have 2 assa models, but only use one of them as a bloodshade..

Hilsen Sortelveren
www.hardwareHQ.dk
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Like Dekhalan said, they are risky in smaller games but amazing in larger games.

I am overall happy with how my Assasin has performed. The fear factor a potential Assasin can have on your enemy is more valuable than many realize.
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Sortelveren wrote:i have 2 assa models, but only use one of them as a bloodshade..

You use a BloodShade??

Do you actually find them useful?

I never buy champions that improve BS, because it seems like an utter waste of points to me.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I too rarely use my assassins ( i have 2 female ones who are horny looking as well as evil looking! ) and I never use bloodshades or dr heralds. I don't think the extra bs is worth the points either.
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:The fear factor a potential Assasin can have on your enemy is more valuable than many realize.

I know what you mean. After we finish deploying our troops, I take my assassin model and place it on a corner of the table in sight of my opponent. They know I have one... but not where. :twisted: I love watching my opponent squirm!

Image Image
Dungeon_god
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dungeon_god »

None of my opponents do-they all know how awful I roll! :evil:
Well, time WOULD be nice...
And, Storm of Chaos is here. Are you ready?
Pokeme
Beastmaster

Post by Pokeme »

I find that to properly use the assasin, you must take advantage of its most powerful rule..........first strike.

Ok..........now think. What kind of troops would be able to charge you before you charge him? Knights.

Get a blade of ruin to rip him into shreds.

Another way of using an assasin is to put him into a block of executioners.

I find that when people start using them to kill normal core troops, they are not performing as to what they are supposed to do. A noble would be cheaper and better for that kind of job.
Life is like a piece of coco, u never knew who will get you.