Repeater Crossbow Warriors: How many of you use them?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Do you use repeater crossbow armed warriors?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 43

Malekithau
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Malekithau »

The last time I used RXBW armed warriors was at the Sydney GT this year. I used a unit of 16 with full comd and shields. They looked good. What did they achieve in 5 games? They failed to recoup the points spent on them (270+?)over the five games with the only notable event being the destruction of a small unit of chameleon skinks. I've played 2 games with DE since then.

People will tell you that RXBWs are great weapons. I won't. They are best on DR or shades, maybe cityguard.
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

I believe that every unit has it's place. I might not use repeaters in every battle but for some they are an essential part of my theme. I played an ambush once where I hate 85 shots per turn at my opponent, repeaters demolished his green skin butt.

They have their place, just like every other unit.
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe
Avocalguy
Executioner

Post by Avocalguy »

In my standard army of 2000pts i usually have 10. placed on a hill and they don't get into combat unless i have no choice.
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Unless you need to fill out your Core, I would avoid them.

RXB should be used on Dark Riders and Shades. They are simply too expensive and not very effective on Warriors.
Lord draekor
Shade

Post by Lord draekor »

Bowfire is weak in this edition of Warhammer. If you're going to shoot, maximize by using Dark Riders and Shades as suggested above. Wish I could take the City Guard formation in my army again. That was a useful formation.
Lord Draekor
Gridion
Slave (off the Altar)

Quite a few, actually...

Post by Gridion »

My standard army contains 2 units of 12 warriors armed with rxb and shields, each with standard and musician. I place them near the center of my deployment line.

Although they do not tend to kill their value in points, they make a find deterrent force against a frontal assault and, in a pinch, flank charge an enemy that has come for a more important unit.
I am not arrogant,
I just have a poor sense of humility.
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

I don't use them that often. Last time I used them was more than 6 months ago.

Bye
Lord Thalack
Fallen angel
Cold One Knight

Post by Fallen angel »

I normally use a unit of 10 on a hill, to fill core and also to deter fast cavalry from my bolt throwers.

Fallen Angel
Play DnD in the Firgotten Realms setting? Have a look at my quick narrative..... http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=21330
|seraphon|
Beastmaster

Post by |seraphon| »

if ya want to full up a core choice, just pick some Dark Riders with rxbows. Its more usefull i think
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

don't own a single one
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I only use them sometimes to add some diversity to my units.
Against Lizardmen they are not that bad, really, but usually there are more effective choices.

Against some armies, high amounts of RXB Warriors can be devastating, but against most, they won't do much good.

Bye
Thanee
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

When I use them I put them in a line on one flank to offer protection. It is amazing how much attention they can attract while other units are left alone.

I actually own 50! Don't ask me why 'coz I don't know how it came about really.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I don't have any of those, yet (but have some old RXB models borrowed).

I plan on getting 48 (3 boxes) of them eventually! ;)

One box of 16 will be one of my next purchases, together with another Cold One Chariot, I think.

Bye
Thanee
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Like every unit they have their place. I use them against T3 troops where they function quite nicely.

For example against goblins I have killed more then 30 with 10 rxb before they moved close enough for an attack.

There are some armies they are no good against, obviously. Know your enemy.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

i like my 10 rxb's, i know they usually don't kill their points, but they usually kill 1 silver helm (with a 2+ save) every round, so that could translate into 1 chaos knights a turn, if they are chosen knights thats 45 points a peice, they would kill their points worth in 3 turns, but you have to think of it in terms of what the knights didn't kill :D
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
Shockwave
Highborn

Post by Shockwave »

Damnit Dark Alliance i thought i had the most at 40.

I have used all 4 units of them in some games but only vs Helfs.

Though of late the only RXbows i've had are no Riders and Shades.

The big question is Why do i have a unit of 27 Spearman? :?
I'd rather lose a closely fought game then have it all sown up in a couple of turns.

Strangely, been here longer than most of the Admin staff.......
Ezeraal
Corsair

Post by Ezeraal »

I use 10-12 to supplement the firing from shades and dark riders, and just to add a supporting/flanking option with a little versatility to whatever troop block i am using.

Then again, i also like spearmen, so don't know how valid my opinion is! :oops:
The darkness is here and you will fall...
Duncan037
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Duncan037 »

in small games i use one unit of 10 and in 2000pts+ i use two units of 10
A blind man who uses his brain can see better than a man who has sight but does not.

Duncan
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

I always field 2 units of 16 each. I field them 10 across. This goves me a good amount of shooting power coupled with back-ups when they come under fire to keep my firing line at 10. They usually take out their fair share of troops... even against dwarves (my friend plays a lot of thunderers so i have juicy targets with my rxbs).
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Lord raven
Corsair

Crossbows

Post by Lord raven »

In my current army I am useing 2 units of 10.

I actually had 1 unit beat a Manticor. I was playing another DE palyer in a grudge match, and They shot his general off the Manticor. The he rolled on the monster reaction chart to charg the closest unit. They stood and shot dong 1 wound, then the Manticor killed 4 of them, BUT!!! I had did 1 wound, Out numbered, had a rank, and was on a hill so i had the high ground. We were even, but i had a musican and won!! and he only fled like 8 inches and i ran him down on the next turn. Way cool to run down a Manticor! 8)
There is a fine line between evil and under paid.

"Evil will always win because good is dumb." Dark Helmet
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Shockwave wrote:Damnit Dark Alliance i thought i had the most at 40.

I have used all 4 units of them in some games but only vs Helfs.

I like to use them in numbers against HE too.

In my early learning days I once used all 50 in a game against chaos undivided. All on a hill firing 100 shots per turn! :shock:

Average kills per turn 2 !!!! :oops: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Wow.

I really am surprised at how many people use these troops.

For you guys who field them in smaller units, do you bother giving them shields since they aren't a large enough unit to combat very well?
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

I always give my RXB units shields. Because in a pinch, they're good for tying troops up with their 4+ save for HW and shield.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I always give them a shield and if I feel there is a chance they might be involved in hth, I give them a musician too.

I find their best use though is protecting a flank or, in extreme cases, I line them up in front of the main advancing units to protect the advance. There is a down side to this in that your enemy knows one turn ahead, when the charge is going to be as you have to rank them up to get out of the way!