Morathi - any good ?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Keithandor
Trainee Warrior

Morathi - any good ?

Post by Keithandor »

Hi all
I'm taking Morathi in a 2250 point army in an upcoming tournament where you must include a special character.
How many supporting level 2's should I take ?
Is she any good ?

thanks
Keithandor
Mtucache
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mtucache »

Normally, I'm totally against taking special characters, because they're so easily replaced by much cheaper (and often just as effective) nobles and lords.... but if you're required to have one, I'd probably end up going with Morathi.

Normally, in a 2k battle, I shoot for 5DD+1 or 2 Scrolls.... but in a tournament with special characters and a few extra points, it would probably be advisable to go up to 7DD if you could.

So, that means I would probably end up taking Morathi, a Level 2, and a Level 1, plus a BSB.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Belongs in tactics.

I think Morathi is darn good. Maybe a little too good against some opponents. The number of supporting sorceresses you need depends on your armylist and style of play. If you like going heavy magic you should have two or three sorcs to support her (or do the really nasty one with two Dark Emmisaries).Her stats and rules make her better and more expensive then a lvl 4 sorceress IMNSHO.

If you use her to give you some magical capabilities and not much more, I suggest a single lvl 2 sorceress and the SoG on a noble.

- Nag
Zeb
Noble

Post by Zeb »

I would go for two lvl 2's and a BSB.

Morathi is one of the "best" special characters around, her price is ridiclous low. +2 to cast, choose her spells... And then 4+ Ward... And she only costs a lord choice...

Get boundspells such as DoaS, and CoM to be used to really upset the opponent.
"We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or glimmering sea ..."
from 'Hassan' by James E. Flecker
Dimorti
Dark Rider

Post by Dimorti »

Morathi is probably one of the best special characters around.

Very good in magic, and even reasonable on the charge. In our gaming group on 2 charges she's taken out settra and the other khemri special char.

In the new slannesh list being able to mix dark and slannesh magic is very nice also.

for the few more points she costs more than a normal high sorc on peg with 100 points of items she is really the best magic user point for point that we druchii have.
Evil is good, Chaos is the law
Tengilbefriaren
Slave on the Altar

Post by Tengilbefriaren »

Well, I would have used Malekith, not because he is better but because he is more evil and I dare not tell him that he can't come.
They'll say I'm crazy, but I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!!!!
Olaf_ironfoot
Noble

Post by Olaf_ironfoot »

Problem is that he would cost an extra 500 points to f ield him.
"I like women. I don't understand them, but I like them."
-Sean Connery
Tei
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tei »

i love morathi but she isnt enough for dispeling...i normally take 2 lv 2s with her or a lv2 and lv1 scroll caddy
Flamepheonix182
Executioner

Post by Flamepheonix182 »

I think morathi is aweswome probly one of our more versatile character espescialy in the COS.

Very good in magic, and even reasonable on the charge. In our gaming group on 2 charges she's taken out settra and the other khemri special char.

How the hell did she take out settra I mean he always strikes first with 5 attacks and he's hitting on 3s and wounding on 2. and he essentially has 2 4+ ward saves.

well anyways back on topic I would give her 1 supporting lvl 2 sorc and give one of your character a Seal of ghrond
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

Morathi is the only special character I have seriously considered using. She have usefull, but not over powered, abilities. She can mix the best spells of two awesome lores for the CoS. She allows you to get a LD10 mage lord in a 2K game. Add some great maneuverability, respectable fighting abilities, with a nice model and you will have one of the best characters availible.

I would probably take two Level 2's, and no other characters.
Prophet
Corsair

Post by Prophet »

How the hell did she take out settra I mean he always strikes first with 5 attacks and he's hitting on 3s and wounding on 2. and he essentially has 2 4+ ward saves.

The same thing I thought when I read that post :P

I think that if you take morathi you should give her enough back-up to make her spells effective in my opinion. Morathi and 2 lv2 sorceress for a nice 10 power dice, then also take the doomstick and you're set (quite a lot of points on characters though)
Zeb
Noble

Post by Zeb »

He probably got "Dazzeled" by her beauty... And she does have killingblow... on the charge... Crazy things happen...
"We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or glimmering sea ..."
from 'Hassan' by James E. Flecker
Vagi
Warrior

Post by Vagi »

for her points she is the best magic-user in warhammer.
ok teclis, zacharias and the old slaan are stronger in magic usig, but for only 470 points and one commander choice morathi is the cheapest master magician... ^^
If my game-style doesn't hit you hard, than my english will do so. :D
Wenn Euch mein Spielstil nicht umhaut, dann tut es mein Englisch.
Pjoll
Executioner
Location: Far off in space? Some freezing hole in nothern europe?

Post by Pjoll »

Does it really matters if she's good or not? She is the freaking mother of Malekith! How cool isn't that? Put the cool characters on the table and you've almost won before the fight actutally has started.

Sure, always nice to win a fight with lots of units and boring stuff like RBT (maybe not so boring model, but the DE doesn't have that many boring units...) and a bunch of warriors... But if you win a fight with (or maybe even because of) Morathi, then you can call yourself one damn fine asskicker. I say, have her in the fight because she is what she is; a nice sorceress, riding a flying horse, wicked character... all this at a quite low cost.
Savonarola
Highborn

Post by Savonarola »

Hahaha, I agree. Let keep the wargaming funny.
I am personally not really sure if Morathi has better cost / effectivity ratio than Malus (I am sure Malekith is too costy) but Morathi is my personal choice too.
We hate what you hate. And we hate you. With eternal hatred!