Lance + (enchanted)shield or Halberd?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Rapid
Executioner

Lance + (enchanted)shield or Halberd?

Post by Rapid »

I do not know what weapon to choose for my noble, Lance + (enchanted)shield or Halberd?

I think I should use Lance + (enchanted)shield when he is mounting a Cold One or a Dark Pegasus or a Dark Steed

I think I should use Halberd when he is riding a chariot.

What do you think?
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

If your going to mount him on a DP, give him the lance/enchanted shield. He will need the extra save for those precious few turns your opponent has to shoot at him (preferably only twice or less the entire game) and the lance will make him quite devastating on the charge he is guaranteed to get. Since he will only be in combat for one round at a time against a given enemy (or so you can hope), the "first round only" thing about the lance wont be much of a problem.

With anything else, I would give him a great weapon (since he will likely be charging anyway and the striking last wont hurt him if hes charging) for the extra +1S it gives over the bonuses of a halberd. On the other hand, I can see you not wanting to waste that juicy I7, so a halberd may be the right way to go in a given situation.
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Carron
Warrior

Post by Carron »

Remember that cold ones are thick skinned and so give their rider a +2 save instead of just one. Combine that with heavy armour and u will have a 3+ armour save. Then with a Halberd he will still be ale to make better use of his iniative. U may also give him Talisman of protection wich (I think) gives him a 5+ ward save and/or Crimsom Death, this resolves all hits at Strengh 6!
Mirz do ordas
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mirz do ordas »

i give the nobles always a lance and shield, the added save of a shield is always nice on a mount, and the lance gets swapped out for HW on foot (after chariot/ mount killed) for a respectable save on foot (2+)

on a chariot it is still the best combo IMHO, due to a good save while challenged (when you lose the AS from the chariot)
When my opponent agrees on a rule, I must have been wrong