newbe history

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Killbot2000
Slave on the Altar

newbe history

Post by Killbot2000 »

As a new player i am curious as to when the races first arived and units that may now be discontinued.
When did the dark elfs first apear as a GW race?
Are there any units that are now not available?
Are the dark elfs a priority for GW or a side project?
Are there any serios planes for the future of dark elfs?

Thanks for any info.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

I belive this is in the wrong forum. I'll report to a moderator so S/he can move ot to the right place.
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Well, this is more or less the right place. You could have asked in separate threads ;)

There are some units not available, like the old Gorganash Blood Drinkers (that the Convent here remade) and some others that I don't know.

As for DE being priority, right now, I believe they aren't. All races have their primetime, we've had ours a year ago with the Revision.

Plans, we don't know...GW knows ;)

By the way, welcome to the site ;)
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Druchii are a mainstream army, along with about 12 or 13 others (I think OK is their 13th, not counting DoW). The vast majority of their unit types and all that have survived through the years, getting resculpted as new models every couple of years. Druchii have been around for over a decade, so they're not going anywhere anytime soon. Since GW doesn't plan much further ahead than 6-12 months, no serious plans exist for Druchii as yet.
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

the druchii army will be around for a long time with frequent upgrades, dont worry about that killbot
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Anaryin wrote:Well, this is more or less the right place. You could have asked in separate threads

When I posted and reported it, it was in the "druchii.net Suggestions" forum.
Valtor the tainted
Highborn

Post by Valtor the tainted »

i have never seen the original druchii models do they look very high elven?
Perversions of Pain sweep through your mind
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

i have never seen the original druchii models do they look very high elven?

A comprehensive list of links to pictures of all back catalogue Dark Elf miniatures may be seen here:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=27915&highlight=
As a new player i am curious as to when the races first arived and units that may now be discontinued.
When did the dark elfs first apear as a GW race?
Are there any units that are now not available?
Are the dark elfs a priority for GW or a side project?
Are there any serios planes for the future of dark elfs?

The Dark Elves first appeared as a race in the early-to-mid 1980s, around the time of first and second edition Warhammer. Their ealiest manifestation is in the Citadel "Night Elf patrol" boxed specialty set. This was shortly followed by the prslotta C09 series of Dark Elves- 20 different figures including "Femal Fanatics" & "Berserkers" (Witch Elves)
and the C21 Cold One Riders.

The background that we know today (Malekith, Morathi, Anenarion, the Sundering, etc.) dates from 4th edition Warhammer. Prior to that, Dark Elves were just generic evil Elves tainted by Chaos that had lost a civil war & fled to Naggaroth.

Some units which no longer exist/have model representation are:

Doomsteeds (Dark Elf Heavy Horse cavalry analagous to High Elf Silverhelms)
Cold One Beast Packs
Whelpmasters & Hounds
Dark Elf Temple Dog Rider
Dark Elf Eagle Rider
Dark Elf Dragon Horse Rider
Various large monsters

During the 4th/5th edition of Warhammer, there were many Dark Elf units that did not have proper model representaion:
Dark Riders (arrived late in the 5th edition)
Executioners (no models until 6th edition except a set of unreleased figures).

Shades
The War Hydra

While the Dark Elf race now enjoys better institutional support from GW (witness the Dark Elf revision), GW's main focus seems to be on 40K (their big money-maker). For Warhammer Fantasy, Chaos, Empire and Orcs & Goblins seem to get the most attention (at least in terms of model releases).

There are some units not available, like the old Gorganash Blood Drinkers (that the Convent here remade)

There never were any official models or rules for Gorganash's Blood Drinkers. Their sole mention is a line in the 6th edition army book where they are referred to as a DOW unit employed by the Dark Elves. They is no guarantee from context that they are even a dark Elf unit.
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Heldrak wrote:There never were any official models or rules for Gorganash's Blood Drinkers. Their sole mention is a line in the 6th edition army book where they are referred to as a DOW unit employed by the Dark Elves. They is no guarantee from context that they are even a dark Elf unit.

We were never guaranteed Mengil's Manflayers or anything like that either. When Woodies are done, they will have a lapse of a few years before they even think of implementing a new edition, so I'd say a couple of new DoW units that are mentioned in the books but not made into models are a pretty good possibility. Not to say it's guaranteed or anything, but perhaps the mention of a few of these DoW units in every army book is an offhand clue as to tenative future plans.
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

We were never guaranteed Mengil's Manflayers or anything like that either.

Mengil Manhide's Manflayers already had a long GW history stretching back even to the preslotta era (Mengil's father Kraal Hearteater is a member of the Night Elf patrol set). Gorganash's Blood Drinkers' history amounts to a single throwaway sentance. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a Gorganash's Blood Drinkers unit or rules any time soon...
Killbot2000
Slave on the Altar

Post by Killbot2000 »

Thank you to Heldrak and the rest of you for the info. The dark elfs are an awsome race and us new gamers really apreciate the help and info from gamers that have been playing for longer. Thanks again