Things to watch out for in 7th

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dancingpigeon
Highborn

Post by Dancingpigeon »

That reminded me of another thing someone else mentioend a while back.

Fleeing as a charge reaction with Warmachine Crews is pointless in 99% of cases. The unit that charges will come into contact with the Warmachine itself, auto-destroy it in the Combat phase, and get a free Overrun if they so choose, meaning, by fleeing you are unlikely to get away and you are handing your opponent extra movement.

The only situation it is useful in, is when you flee, get away, and flee through another one of your units, so that when the opponent does overrun, he won't catch your crew (because he hits another of your units),, leaving them free to join another War machine (if of course you have one).

I didn't really explain that in the best way... but I hope you get the jist of what I'm saying.
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

The only other situation fleeing with a warmachine of course being if youre opponent is in range of the crew but not the machine.
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Purple whisper
Noble

Post by Purple whisper »

Venkh wrote:Sorceress with a unit of 15 crossbowmen in a building? Shes safe right?

WRONG!

When the enemy assaults the building he can dedicate up to 5 of his 10 attacking models to attacking one character. For this reason you precious sorceress is highly likely to be killed by the weakest of assaulting troops.

KEEP YOUR SORCERESSES OUT OF BUILDINGS - THEY DONT LIKE IT!

Is it so unsafe for the Sorceresses? You may select models with a US of 10 to fight. If you do not select the Sorceress as part of those models, then she is not involved in the fight and cannot be attacked, it seems.
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

@ Purple whisper: But it says that the attacker can choose US5 worth of models to attack the sorceress. And it is very rare that you'll have a total US more than 10 in the building in most cases, so you would have to select the sorceress anyway.

Purple whisper
Noble

Post by Purple whisper »

Ant wrote:@ Purple whisper: But it says that the attacker can choose US5 worth of models to attack the sorceress.

It says that if a sorceress is involved in the fight, she can be attacked with US5 worth of models. I'm not sure what that means, but I can imagine that if the Sorceress is not among the US10 models that are fighting, she is not involved in the fight. Otherwise, you could get the strange situation that she can be attacked, but cannot fight back because she's not in the fight... Or something.

Of course, you can also argue that she is involved in the fight because she's part of one of the fighting units... But as I said, I'm not sure on how to interpret "involved in the fight" in this case.

And it is very rare that you'll have a total US more than 10 in the building in most cases, so you would have to select the sorceress anyway.

Yes, that is something else entirely.
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

looking back at the rules, i think i played it wrong. Makes 15 crossbowmen with shields in a building and even better prospect.
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Purple Whisper wrote:It says that if a sorceress is involved in the fight, she can be attacked with US5 worth of models. I'm not sure what that means, but I can imagine that if the Sorceress is not among the US10 models that are fighting, she is not involved in the fight. Otherwise, you could get the strange situation that she can be attacked, but cannot fight back because she's not in the fight... Or something.

Of course, you can also argue that she is involved in the fight because she's part of one of the fighting units... But as I said, I'm not sure on how to interpret "involved in the fight" in this case.

You have a good point, and I think I would agree with your iterperetation, thinking about it. It is still not 100% clear though

Harabec
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Harabec »

It says that if a sorceress is involved in the fight , she can be attacked with US5 worth of models. I'm not sure what that means, but I can imagine that if the Sorceress is not among the US10 models that are fighting, she is not involved in the fight. Otherwise, you could get the strange situation that she can be attacked, but cannot fight back because she's not in the fight... Or something.

The problem is an interpretation of "involved in the fight" Although nothing clearly states one way or the other, it would be really odd for a character to stand around and get beat on while not fighting back.

Because of this I would run it, where only if they are amongst the US10 worth of models fighting back will they be counted in the fight.

Just as a further point though. It could be argued that as characters would always be in the forefront of a unit, (except for skaven lead from behind and models refusing a challenge) that you would have to include them in the group that fights back.