There will be more dark elves in the GW GT final.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Benji
Malekith's Personal Guard

There will be more dark elves in the GW GT final.

Post by Benji »

i've just got back from heat 2 and have qualified in 27th place. i was one of 6 dark elf armies and the only one to qualify. Scott Goldstien had traveled over from the states and won best army with his fantastic army, the one in the dark elf section on the GW site.

in my army i had,

highborn, dragon, crimson death, blood armour, crown of black iron. sea dragon cloak, rxb.
lv2 sorceress, darkstar cloak, dispel scroll
lv2 sorceress, dispel scroll, dispel scroll
10 warriors, rxbs, shields
5 dark riders, rxb's
5 dark riders, rxb's
18 executioners, champion, standard, banner of murder
5 harpies
2 chariots, spears
2 bolt throwers

it's a nicely balanced army(with a dragon :) ) it does somthing in every phase.

out of the 6 games i played 2 players with bent armies and not that great players, 2 good players with hard but not abusive armies, and 2 really good players with really hard but again not abusive armies.

Game 1 was against high elves, i got a big win by about 2000pts,
game 2 was against a hard woodelf army, i drew that one.
game 3 was against woddies again, he had a dragon and the rider had bow of loren and acrane bodkins, i beat him by 2000vps again.
first game on sunday was against a nice italian chap with skaven. he had 2 WLC's 4 rattlers over 100 rats, 4 units of gutter runners 2 of them tuneling. i got a draw.
game 5 was the bentest tzeench army i've seen for a while. dragon with the eye and staff, 4 knight with 2 heros in the unit, 2 chariots, 3 screamers and 6 furies and that was it. it took me about 20miniutes and 2 turns to wipe him off the board all the vp's he got was 33 for half the harpies.
game 6 was on table 6 against the current italian grand champion. he had a typical brick hard strioi army, it was going well untill about turn 4 then it all fell apart and i lost really badly by about 2000 pts.

i had 6 really good games against 6 really nice guys and i can't wait for the final.

on a side note, DA was a ref and he stood in as a spare player against the bottom player on game 2, they were both using dark elves, the other guy had a dragon. DA ripped him apart, so much for playing for a draw!!! lol
Xerasi
Highborn

Post by Xerasi »

Congrats Benji.

It seems like the effective druchii turnie armies now include a big block of exes... How did it fare for you with this block? (I've never been a fan of exe rules, but seing how they actually fare in big blocks is slowly turning me, so would like to know if they where worth it?)

Xerasi
DoW 2/2.25k W-L-D: 22 - 4 - 3
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Good lad.

Go Dark Elves.

A more detailed rep would go down well at some point if your up to it...
Pleased to be back
Silverwarlock
Highborn

Post by Silverwarlock »

nice job, would love to read some more detailed reports, sounds like some interesting games there
Frankthetank
Beastmaster

Post by Frankthetank »

Sound like fun i would aslo like to know more on your big unit of executioners .
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Well done mate. Your dragon seems to have a charmed life, passing all those saves you had to make throughout the weekend. Gary told me he was lucky to stay alive a couple of times. I can never kill the damned thing either!
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

Congrats dude, way to rep the druchii.

Good luck in the finals!
- Human
Benji

Post by Benji »

Ant wrote:Well done mate. Your dragon seems to have a charmed life, passing all those saves you had to make throughout the weekend. Gary told me he was lucky to stay alive a couple of times. I can never kill the damned thing either!

only twice, first time was against skaven. the bloke using the army couldn't roll more than 4 on the strength for the WLC's. when he did get a 8 he rolled a 1 for number of wounds. But saying that, when he misfired and hit an engineer and 3 rattlers he also roled a 2 and killed nothing, the same 3 rattlers, engineer and 2 WLC's also passed terror tests all in the same turn on their own leadership..
the 2nd time was aganst the tzeench army. fighting the knights, the 2 heros attacked back and against my lord and did 6 strength 6 wounds, i saved them all and auto broke the heros.

karma comes back though. in game 6 i miscast twice, both times letting my opponent cast a spell for free. that hurt me really bad and went quite a way to giving him the game
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Re: There will be more dark elves in the GW GT final.

Post by Dark Alliance »

benji wrote:on a side note, DA was a ref and he stood in as a spare player against the bottom player on game 2, they were both using dark elves, the other guy had a dragon. DA ripped him apart, so much for playing for a draw!!! lol

:lol: Very true, but he forced my hand. If you're gonna sit your dragon in front of my line on turn 1 I'm going to shoot it. There's playing for a draw and there's playing for a draw. He forced my hand and it just so happens his Lord didn't take too kindly to 2 rounds of shooting from 15rxbs and 2 rbts!!

The funniest part was the dragon turning stupid when the Lord died, and then bouncing from my unit of rxbs, then getting run down by DRs1! What can you do??

But, after discussing his army comp post game I noticed he went on to play better in the following games.

The Dark Elf MSU that list that was there was a worry though...

Still on side notes...they have asked me to ref heat 3 and the final... :twisted:
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

Well done Benji!!! Game 5 sounds like an easy one to report. Care to do it?

Sean
Keledron
Location: Locked in a bunker with only a HE player for company

Post by Keledron »

@Benji Well done see you at the WPS

@DA, invited back again even aftrer all those remarks LOL.

See you in 2 weeks. My time of exile is almost over!
Life is short, death last for ever like a journey on British public transport!
Rathstar
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Rathstar »

Hi,

Congrats on the qualification for the final.

I noticed that you had a rxb on your dragon lord. Did you use casulaties from the rxb to increase your armour save with the blood armour. I know it's completely legal from the wording of the rules, but it seems odd from the fluff text. If you did use the rxb to increase the blood armour save did it raise any eyebrows or was everything fine ?

Congrats again on the placing, highest placing Druchii is an excellent result.

Regards

Rathstar
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

I absolutely destryoyed a near carbon copy of your army in a recent tournament so you must be doing something right.

Well done mate, you are a far far better player than me!
Count zero
Cold One Knight

Post by Count zero »

i got utterly pasted, only wining my last game (agaisnt a wood elf playing friend of mine) where almost everyhting worked perfectly.

in a couple other games i had strings of bad luck, but overall myu army just wasnt effective enough at anyhting in partcilur. I was shot to bits by a 8 dwarf bolt throwers, charged to death by 30 black knights etc, having no fast hard hitting units just left me very vunderable. also my HB with execs did manage to get charges in on knight unitsa few times, but each time failed miserably, feld and was cut down.

If i take DE again, i will defianlty write a different style army
Ironhand
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ironhand »

Congratulations Benji. Well done!

Very interesting army list. I'd like to hear somethign about your tactics.
Joey_boy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Joey_boy »

Congrats mait. Nice to hear your dooing well at the GT. Never cared much for that type of event myself. Might comearound next year and go over if there are some more swedish gents going. Mostly to say hi and have a bear or twelve with some of the folks I know online :)

Good luck at the finals!

/Johan R
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Swedish ranking page and forum
Benji

Post by Benji »

Keledron wrote:@Benji Well done see you at the WPS

cheers mate, hopefully i will get a chance to get a game against you?
are you and gary around for a drink on the friday/saturday nights?

seanzala wrote:Well done Benji!!! Game 5 sounds like an easy one to report. Care to do it?

Sean

i get turn 1, fly dragon up right flank to face the flank of his knights exe's and chariots move in center opposite knights and chariots staying out of charge range. lurker gets scrolled. shooting and magic kills 4 furies. his turn 1 he charges dark riders with a chariot and moves the knights to face my dragon. on his right(my left) he brings out is lord screames and furies to face my warriors and bolters. i lose 3 harpies to magic missile and pass panic test.
my turn 2 i charge dark riders and harpies into screamers both pass fear. i charge both chariots into the side of his chariot that charged the riders. he flees and hits the knights and kills 1. my dragon charges the knights. i pop the screamers and the lord fails a panic test. riders overrun into the furies. the dragon beats the knights in combat and runs them down, this is where i make a load of saves on my lord. i get enemy in the way on the fleeing chariot and that is chased off the table too.
his turn 2 his lord fails to rally and flees tothe nearest table edge hitting the dark riders and getting destroyed. my opponent concedes

things to note are. his chariot hitting the knights, my dark ridres were set to lure the chariot out infront of the knights, he took the bait and then had a choice of fleeing and hitting the knights or holding and my chariots killing his and then overruning into the knights and getting to fight again. he had to flee really. i would of put the exe's in aswell but that was a front charge would of made the chariot flee into a wood instead.
i had to charge his knights with my dragon to stop the magic missiles. i didn't expect to break them on charge but i knew i could kill the muscian to ensure i wouldn't lose and i would of had chariot and executioner support in my next turn. in my turn 2 i fired both bolters at his lord at short range and missed twice, doh i got quite a bit of luck but i knew by the end of deployment i should beat him as long as i could contain the magic for 2 turns.

Rathstar wrote:Hi,

Congrats on the qualification for the final.

I noticed that you had a rxb on your dragon lord. Did you use casulaties from the rxb to increase your armour save with the blood armour. I know it's completely legal from the wording of the rules, but it seems odd from the fluff text. If you did use the rxb to increase the blood armour save did it raise any eyebrows or was everything fine ?

Congrats again on the placing, highest placing Druchii is an excellent result.

Regards

Rathstar

cheers,

the blood armour thing is 1 reason but i am a very impatient player and that is normally my undoing, i like to be in combat on turn 2 so the rxb is normaly used later on in the game. being a large target he can see over troops to see mages/weapons teams hiding behind units. at short range you are shooting twice at a single model on 4's. throw in a breath attack and you have a good chance of a kill.

Count Zero wrote:i got utterly pasted, only wining my last game (agaisnt a wood elf playing friend of mine) where almost everyhting worked perfectly.

in a couple other games i had strings of bad luck, but overall myu army just wasnt effective enough at anyhting in partcilur. I was shot to bits by a 8 dwarf bolt throwers, charged to death by 30 black knights etc, having no fast hard hitting units just left me very vunderable. also my HB with execs did manage to get charges in on knight unitsa few times, but each time failed miserably, feld and was cut down.

If i take DE again, i will defianlty write a different style army

nice to meet you mate. i always knew were to find you to see how you were doing, bottom table was next to the bar!!! :D

Ironhand wrote:Congratulations Benji. Well done!

Very interesting army list. I'd like to hear somethign about your tactics.

are they small mints?? i've see the advert ;)

tactics vary depending on the army i'm facing and the way it is played, thats the beauty of dark elves. the down side is that it is difficult to make it work right. the best thing about this weekend is that everything clicked. i was confident in how did everything and how i wanted it to work, i've not played like that since i used my lizzies at the club challenge. i soon got bored of them and i couldn't get them to click again. find an army you enjoy using and thats half the battle won.

Joey_Boy wrote:Congrats mait. Nice to hear your dooing well at the GT. Never cared much for that type of event myself. Might comearound next year and go over if there are some more swedish gents going. Mostly to say hi and have a bear or twelve with some of the folks I know online :)

Good luck at the finals!

/Johan R

i was told it was going to be hell and i wasn't looking forwards to it one bit. i chaged my army the evening before and decided to just try and have a good time and not worry about placings. i had a great time and it is one of the best tournaments i have been to. i can honestly say its the only one where i've enjoyed every game. and i was on the top tables for most of it and that where the problems usually occur